EndorFun
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 20m 31s
Overall Rank = 347/1506
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 13/29
Event warmup:

Not much really. Swam maybe a hundred yards or so, but that was mostly to check if my goggles were working (first time I'd used them).
Swim
  • 38m 19s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had really neglected swimming this summer, so this was a result that I was happy to have. The swim was more physical than any other tri I've done, so I took a slightly wider route to stay away from the mob. I figured the race was long enough to make up the time I'd lose. Plus this was my first HIM, so the only thing I really cared about was finishing.

I went at my cruising pace the whole way, and had no problems. My back started getting sore the last couple hundred meters (since I hadn't done any really long non-stop training swims), so I kind of eased it in to the transition.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 03m 28s
Comments:

I had a young (pre-teenage) wetsuit stripper. It got caught on my feet, but still was significantly faster than I could've done alone. Transition went fine, I kinda took my time.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 52m 18s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Tough ride, I almost always seemed to be either going uphill or into a headwind.

First 20 miles I felt ok, though with the hills I only averaged 19.0MPH over the first hour. Miles 20-30 were strong, as I fell into a nice rhythm. Miles 30-45 were ugly. My lower back got was quite sore, and I needed to get out of aero a few times. I was tired, and feeling like finishing the race would be very tough. I just tried to push through it, and didn't lose too much time there. Around mile 45 (just before the top of the last major hill), I got a really strong second wind. The last 11 miles just flew by. I still felt kinda spent from miles 30-45, and decided to hammer the last part of the ride. Figured my legs were too tired to have a decent run anyway, so I might as well get a good bike split. Though, I ended up coming into T2 feeling strong and ready to run.

More long rides before the race to get used to staying aero for so long.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Fine transition. Felt great, but didn't do it with a sense of urgency time-wise.
Run
  • 1h 44m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I was full of energy at the start of the run, and had to restrain myself to keep from going out too hard. I hadn't done any really long training runs, and needed to be careful not to burn myself. I was most tempted around mile 2.5 when someone passed me, and I stuck on his heels for a quarter mile before bringing myself back to my senses. First lap was strong and without issues. The way out on the second lap felt good, but around mile 10 it fell apart. My hips, knees, and back all started giving me issues. I kept chugging and never walked a step, but my pace slowed considerably (about a minute per mile slower than on the first lap). I got another second wind (do i call it a third wind? lol) when I saw the finishing chute, and finished with a strong kick.

Take it out harder.
Post race

Last updated: 2007-10-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:19 | 2112 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/29
Overall: 0/1506
Performance: Good
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves