General Discussion Triathlon Talk » x-lab Sonic Wing for Cervelo - initial impression/first MOD Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-05 12:13 PM

User image

New user
Subject: x-lab Sonic Wing for Cervelo - initial impression/first MOD

I have seen a ton of people asking about the Sonic Wing, I just received mine in the mail from Bikesport MI. First I want to say Tom and his crew did a great job, I ordered the "x-nut" inflater and which apparently doesn't fit on the sonic wing, 15 minutes after I placed a web order I received a phone call asking if I intended to use the wing/inflater together, they explained that they wouldn't work but substituted the proper inflation kit. 3 Days later I was installing it on my P2.

My initial impression was wow this thing is light, I ordered, the wing, inflation kit, 2 P-cages, 2- rocket bottles, and started to assemble it. I noticed right away that the bolt for attaching the inflation nut to the wing wasn't long enough to attach thru 2 p cages, the wing, nut, and a velco strap. I wanted to be able to carry, 2 tubes, CO2, tire levers and multitool for training rides, and avoid using a saddle bag. After fiddling with the configuration I tried to use a single strap mounted to the lowest hole on the trailing edge of the wing. This proved to be ok for a single tube, but it hung below the wing and wasn't securely attached. I needed to find a way to attach the second strap, so I reached for my trusty old zip ties. The Velcro straps have a grommet to insert a bolt thru, so I ran the zip tie thru that and looped it around the 2 holes in the center. This provided to be the best mounting option, I tried several tie routing options.

All in all, this is probably a heavier configuration then I will race with but for training rides It has everything I need to get home.

For more clarity, I attached some quick Pics. I will update as soon as I go out for my next ride.

Edited by bm1981 2008-09-05 12:23 PM

2008-09-05 10:24 PM
in reply to: #1652985

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: x-lab Sonic Wing for Cervelo - initial impression/first MOD
Looks good, but couldn't you have just used a regular XLab thing that attaches to the saddle rails? Did they really make a special model just to attach to the seat post instead of the saddle? And does that mean it costs more?
2008-09-06 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
What did u think of the special xnut with the hole in it? What is used to attach it through the sonic wing? Same hardware used to attach the sonic wing to the seatpost?

thanks
chris
2008-09-09 9:05 AM

User image

New user

the sonic wing comes in as 2 pieces that when attached to the seat make a )( type of shape. On the non seat side there is a hex spacer used to keep the 2 wing pieces seperated. Typically a 2 short  hex head bolts will be placed thru the water bottle cages,wing, and threaded into the hex spacer. The inflation kit replaces one of the hex spacers with at type of trapezoid metal spacer that has 2 female threads and on male thread and hole that disects it. When you attach this you remove one of the hex nuts and replace it with the a longer hex bolt that goes thru cage.wing. inflation nut, wing, cage 2 and is secured with at nut. 

The CO2 threds into the nut using the female locations, the inflator using the male.  

The wing also comes with 2 velcro straps for attaching tubes and tools. I didn't want to use a saddle bag so i figured the straps would work. The straps attach between the wing and hex nuts. I did notice that if you use the inflation nut the bolt supplied is too short to thread into the nut in the water bottle cage if you add in a velco strap. That is why i used a trusty zip tie, I didn't have a longer bolt handy, in the future I may and probally will chage to that setup, but for now this is how im riding. 

2008-09-09 11:32 AM
in reply to: #1660826

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
thanks for the detail explanation
2008-09-09 12:51 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Niiice ... how much does it weigh, naked and with all of the accutrements?  Also, are you carrying two spare tubes?

I have the Hydrotail 5c and have had some mixed luck with launching full bottles.

2008-09-09 1:27 PM

User image

New user

I Haven't had it on the scale, weight wasn't my primary concern. the wing itself is very light made of light weight alloy. I have the plastic cages couldn't justify carbon due to cost vs/ gains at my level. ( I have 20LBS to loose int he off season) currently I'm carrying 2 tubes, patch kit, 2 tire levers and a multitool in the rear bundle. Plus 2 C02 and the inflator. This is my training config, for a race I will lighten that up but for now, ill keep the wing a little heavy and be able to get home.  I also haven't had it out on the road yet - weather/car accident- to comment on bottle ejection, I will follow up tomorrow night after my ride.

2008-09-10 12:26 PM
in reply to: #1661538

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
if you go to xlabusa.com they have how much it weighs there and all the information.

I thing the sonic wing is better than the hydrotail
2008-09-11 7:36 AM

User image

New user
I placed the bike on a scale at the LBS last night, I removed the tubes/levers/multitool and waterbottles and my P2 weighed in at 19.00. Stock with the addition of the wing/bottle cages
2008-10-03 7:22 PM

User image

San Francisco

Great photos, love the size (super big) - I just ordered a Sonic Wing for my P2C. It should arrive next week and I'll start trying to put it together with some cages I already have.

Thanks for the post.

Cheers,

Astro

2012-04-16 8:43 PM

Hi at all,  soon I'll buy one Sonic Wing for my Cervelo and I would like to know some opinion about the carbon or not carbon version..   

Someone have it in carbon ? 

2012-05-31 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4154669

New user

I have the carbon sonic wing for my cervelo P3. I just put it on the bike a few days ago and cannot believe how solid it is. I put some cutter carbon cages from chainlove on there and there is no way it will eject bottles. As a matter of fact, I put it on right before a 90 mile ride through the hills and forgot to tighten the bolts to the seatpost more than by hand and it barely rattled. I only noticed because I couldn't remember tightening them with a hex wrench. Highly suggest the sonic wing. The carbon is great and I cannot comment on the non carbon version as I have never seen it.
2012-05-31 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1654505

Master
, California

skavoovie - 2008-09-05 8:24 PM Looks good, but couldn't you have just used a regular XLab thing that attaches to the saddle rails? Did they really make a special model just to attach to the seat post instead of the saddle? And does that mean it costs more?

On the Cervelo seat posts, if you have the saddle in the front bolt position like the picture above, then it's almost impossible to attach anything to the saddle rails.  The sonic wing is made to deal with that.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » x-lab Sonic Wing for Cervelo - initial impression/first MOD Rss Feed