General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coaches and their cost ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-06 1:12 AM

User image

Encinitas
Subject: Coaches and their cost ?

Hello you all,

I've notice that a lot folks here and around my tri community have a coach, so here is where i struggle with my opinion about some of them. Some of them email a training plan and that's it, the fee ($100-225), some offer one on one training but that is easily $300 or more per month.

What's your input ? I wish it was more affordable and there were more one on one sessions.

Thanks

PS: Coaches out there i don't mean to offend you, i'm broke that's all.

2008-09-06 1:24 AM
in reply to: #1654692

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Coaches and their cost ?
their are alot out there some seam to cut and past workouts some understand the science. I have been extremely happy with Marc and Vinnie over at Ironguides, they have a very effective approach. They also offer some more affordable options as well. When I was looking I emailed all coaches in my price range and chatted with them to see what I thought of them and their knowledge. Ask to chat w/ some clients to see what they think. just my 2 cents.. Good luck
2008-09-06 1:41 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
$300/month? $100 for an email? I need to get into coaching!

2008-09-06 8:07 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Becoming a Gold Member here gives you access to online coaching support at a cost of <$15 per month. Might be an option worth exploring.
2008-09-06 8:19 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I've been using the same coach for 4 years. I get my plan for 4 weeks at a time. He often has to help me change things up. We communicate via email 3-4 times a week. We talk every once in awhile and see each other at some events or technique sessions they have a couple times a year. He offers a more expensive plan with workouts coming in every 2 week blocks and scheduled time to talk.

Cost is relative.... and I think what I get is well worth the cost. I really think I get a bargin for as much time my coach gives me. I like that someone with knowledge in this is looking after my training and I just get to execute the training.

I use Will at tri-hard.com

2008-09-06 9:19 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
maubueno - 2008-09-06 1:12 AM

Hello you all,

I've notice that a lot folks here and around my tri community have a coach, so here is where i struggle with my opinion about some of them. Some of them email a training plan and that's it, the fee ($100-225), some offer one on one training but that is easily $300 or more per month.

What's your input ? I wish it was more affordable and there were more one on one sessions.

Thanks

PS: Coaches out there i don't mean to offend you, i'm broke that's all.

I got a coach in town,and over 9 months of working with him... I saw him twice. And we only met to talk about my upcoming Ironman... no training to speak of.

He sent me monthly training plans and was always available by email or phone (but I just sent emails) to answer any questions I had or to make changes to my training plan if needed.

Look around locally. I bet you can find someone who coaches in your price range and requirements.

2008-09-06 9:53 AM

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado

I'm struggling with some of the same issues/concerns.  I was paying a swimming coach $40.00 for 30 min sessions and asked if I could get a workout suggestion for the following week and her reply, "sure, ...you know I charge $300/month for coaching."  That didn't last very long.  For me its a balance of not having alot of available time and not having alot of available funding.  I'd offer that a better use of funds may be to dial in on your specific physiology and form/technique opportunities.  You can get good insight from performance testing for HRMax and training zones, VO2Max, Lactate threshold, and typically get some feedback on running form and power output for cycling.  This runs about $150-$200 from a testing lab.  Once you have this info you should be able to dial in a training plan without having to have a private personal coach always available.  As far as motivation, you may want to find (or start) a local Tri-club or join a sport specific training group (masters swimming).  Finally, I really appreciate this forum for my "dumb and novice questions" and have had great direction and feedback.  I think there is probably more expertise in this forum (including professional coaches) that is available for further guidance.  You may want to reach out to Mike Ricci (D3Multisport.com) he's been great (prolific volumes of info provided) at posting here and when I get the $$$ I'll look to him for training guidance for my goal of IM '09.  Good luck!  Let us know if you get any great ideas on keeping the costs down...

Cam

2008-09-06 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut

I have a coach that has helped me immensly.  Jorge Martinez (Amiine on BT) with PBM jcoaching.  He gives me 4 week blocks and is always available via email and phone.  When races get closer A & B races, my training blocks go down to every 2 weeks so he can try and dial my fitness in for the race.  I would suggest a coach and Jorge is great, he understands the science of the sport and also that most of us have a life outside of triathlon and that SH*% happens sometimes, he is always available w/ suggestions on how to move training etc, so that one can also fhave a non-tri life.

Good luck!

Adios
Dave

2008-09-06 3:41 PM
in reply to: #1654858

User image

Regular
Winchester, MA
KathyG - 2008-09-06 9:19 AM

I've been using the same coach for 4 years. I get my plan for 4 weeks at a time. He often has to help me change things up. We communicate via email 3-4 times a week. We talk every once in awhile and see each other at some events or technique sessions they have a couple times a year. He offers a more expensive plan with workouts coming in every 2 week blocks and scheduled time to talk.

Cost is relative.... and I think what I get is well worth the cost. I really think I get a bargin for as much time my coach gives me. I like that someone with knowledge in this is looking after my training and I just get to execute the training.

I'm another of Will's clients and I can't speak highly enough of him. He's got an incredible wealth of knowledge, is VERY accessible (via both email and phone), and has been a huge help to me over the last year and a half. I have been using him with his 2 week plan that Kathy mentioned, but have been dabbling with the notion of dropping down to the monthly plan now that I feel like I know a bit more about the sport and training principles. Even at the "high end," I feel it's been well worth the cost. I absolutely feel like he's MY coach and he tailors my workouts to ME (and I am certain of this as he also coaches a good friend of mine, we are both training for similar events/distances, and our plans are very different and are based on our strengths/weaknesses/personal quirks).
2008-09-06 7:17 PM
in reply to: #1655275

User image

Extreme Veteran
Upstate, SC
mspina - 2008-09-06 4:41 PM

I'm another of Will's clients and I can't speak highly enough of him. He's got an incredible wealth of knowledge, is VERY accessible (via both email and phone), and has been a huge help to me over the last year and a half. I have been using him with his 2 week plan that Kathy mentioned, but have been dabbling with the notion of dropping down to the monthly plan now that I feel like I know a bit more about the sport and training principles. Even at the "high end," I feel it's been well worth the cost. I absolutely feel like he's MY coach and he tailors my workouts to ME (and I am certain of this as he also coaches a good friend of mine, we are both training for similar events/distances, and our plans are very different and are based on our strengths/weaknesses/personal quirks).

When you say high end, what kind of range are we talking? I am in the market for a coach for the first time and was wondering what others are generally paying.
2008-09-06 9:51 PM
in reply to: #1655554

User image

Champion
MA
katybug34 - 2008-09-06 8:17 PM

When you say high end, what kind of range are we talking? I am in the market for a coach for the first time and was wondering what others are generally paying.

My coach has two programs $250 or $150 per month...if you belong to one of the tri teams they sponsor you get a discount off that price too.

2008-09-06 10:05 PM

User image

Expert

Ken Axford, who is on here, is my coach, and his rates are considerably lower than $300 a month.  Search for him by name or site below and see what he can do for you.  He is awesome (yes, I have a pejorative view, as he has helped me leaps and bounds  )

http://www.fast-tri.com/index.htm

2008-09-06 10:30 PM
in reply to: #1655855

User image

Extreme Veteran
Upstate, SC
KathyG - 2008-09-06 10:51 PM

katybug34 - 2008-09-06 8:17 PM

My coach has two programs $250 or $150 per month...if you belong to one of the tri teams they sponsor you get a discount off that price too.

Kathy,

What is the cliffs notes version of what you get and the differences in these two plans.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coaches and their cost ? Rss Feed