Vacation Sports
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 54m
Overall Rank = 140/435
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 12/29
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30. 1 hour drive to race from my house. Got there with less time to warmup than I wanted. Got a bad transition spot.
Event warmup:

Short run and stretching. Hamstrings have been tight lately. Before I knew it, the race was starting.
Swim
  • 16m 47s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a good swim today, but I half expected it. I cut way back on my swim training the 2nd half of the summer, and haven't done an OWS since 6/20. I normally settle in to a good stroke by the 1/4 point. In this race, it wasn't until well after half way.

I was in the wave with orange swim caps. The bouys were -- you guessed it -- orange. Made for difficult sighting much of the way.
What would you do differently?:

Need to keep my swim training up during the 2nd half of the summer.
Transition 1
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

Very poor transition time. I'm trying to think where I lost time, and I think it was in getting the wetsuit off. This transition had about 30-50 steps to get up to from the lake. I ran them pretty fast. I should have gone a touch slower and had more energy for getting the wetsuit off. This was not an easy transition area with the steps, I but I'd think I could shave 30 seconds off somewhere.

Not waste my energy getting up the steps from the lake... pace a bit.
Bike
  • 53m 35s
  • 18 miles
  • 20.16 mile/hr
Comments:

.. I think they were off with the distances. whatever the case, happy with the bike given my lack of hill training. Decent ride overall. Could have been a tad more aggressive on the final two miles, but feel like I gave it a pretty good go on the bike.

hill training
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

Very good. Did it exactly as planned. Easy shoe switch, grabbed a gel pack for the run. Can't shave alot of time off of that.
Run
  • 40m 10s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where I make up some ground on my fellow Clydes. Decent run overall, especially considering I'm usually finishing my Tri at mile 3. The hills got to me, but I ran through them all and made up time where I could. Felt like I maybe left a little in the tank, but not much.

nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Amazing how a hot dog can hit the spot at 10:30am.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of hill training, poor swim training this summer. I do a ton of swimming in the winter, and it is evidenced by my swim times being much faster in the June races. It is just so tough to be in a pool when it is a perfect summer day outside.

Event comments:

I now realize what they mean by this race having the reputation of being a bit "loose". It was a good race and a nice, challenging course, but I'd recommend they get a few more bike course volunteers, and maybe try to set it up so exiting cars from the race aren't trying to use the same driveway that incoming runners are using. Overall, though, the beauty of the Stillwater area makes up for any shortcomings.

Last updated: 2008-09-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:47 | 880 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/29
Overall: 173/435
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Beautiful lake with a slight chop. Swim back was into the sun.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:05
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:53:35 | 18 miles | 20.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/29
Overall: 144/435
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Very scenic course, especially the 1st half. Several rollers and a couple big hills. I now know what people were warning me about... much of the 2nd half of the course is either a bad surface or right on 95 with 55mph traffic. Beautiful scenery with a few rough patches. Also an area with a steep hill and a tunnel that you needed to be cautious for. Better to lose a few seconds than crash and burn on a strange course. Garmin was showing just under 17 miles of biking.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:40:10 | 05 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/29
Overall: 173/435
Performance: Good
Course: Hillier than anything I ever practice one. Around mile 2 - 3, a few larger hills on a gravel surface that made for a slow pace. Tough run course for me. Garmin showed just under 5 miles (4.8) on the run.
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-09-06 3:52 PM

Expert
Subject: Square Lake Tri

2008-09-06 6:17 PM
in reply to: #1655292

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Subject: RE: Square Lake Tri

Paul, congrats!  Yeah, don't you hate that when the caps are the same color as the buoys?

It's tough keeping the training up for a late season tri. 

Couple of tough spots in this race...those steps up to T1, the hill at mile 3.

Congrats on ending the season with a tough tri.

2008-09-06 7:40 PM
in reply to: #1655292

Expert
Subject: RE: Square Lake Tri
Thanks, Sparco. I think I'll make this a yearly race. With doing Buffalo early, and this late, that makes for a nice, 3+ month race season. Tuck a couple "elective" races in between, and it is a nice schedule.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Square Lake Tri Rss Feed