General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Geneva Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Geneva Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fontana, Wisconsin
United States
Lake Geneva Extreme Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 47m 12s
Overall Rank = 91/256
Age Group = 18-24 Male
Age Group Rank = 5/11
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Lake Geneva the day before. Spent the day in downtown area and grabbed some food and walked around. Hung out at the hotel until 5 at which point we went to the race site in Fontana to pick up the packet and have the pasta dinner.
Back to the room by 8:30 and in bed by 9:30. Had the best pre-race sleep ever, mostly due to the long day.
Event warmup:

Up at 5 and at the site by 5:45. Got my stuff in transition and was done by 6. The pre race talk went off around 6:15 or so. I jumped in the water for 200M or so of warmup. Some long strokes, some fast quick, etc. Then it was time to cross the mat and start the swim.
Swim
  • 30m 50s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Best OWS ever for me! I wish I could tell if this swim was long or not, as last year it was extremely short. This was a full 1500M, and I was consistent with my form, really relaxed. After the turn around we started mixing up with the Half Iron guys and girls. At this point I realized I felt good and started picking people off one by one. Lot of open space to swim so I didn't draft much. I wasn't sure if I'd have the legs for a PR today, so I focused on not going 100% on the swim, more like 90% with good technique. It paid off.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster in training, keep closer to the buoys on the way back? Not too worried as this swim felt great.
Transition 1
  • 03m 29s
Comments:

Had trouble finding my spot in transition for some reason. 3:29 is a little long, but it took a while to get from my rack location to bike out. Oh well, not going to lose sleep over it.

have wings and fly out of transition.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 34s
  • 24.4 miles
  • 19.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent bike for my fitness level. I held back a little but still put up a decent time. Did a good job pushing the spots where I could. Passed a ton of people throughout the race. I enjoy the fact that an olympic bike is done in just over an hour, rather than a 3 hour 56 mile ride in the half.

I have to figure out the bike. I think I underperform and don't enjoy it enough at this point, gotta change that.
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Surprised with this time. I'm happy with it
Run
  • 54m 22s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Another 54:xx 10K! This is 6 minutes better than last year!

On to the details, I hit the 'killer hill' and kept shuffling up the steep .75 mile hill. This hill is insane and keeps going. Once I got to the top the 10k really started. I was able to get my pace together and focused on leaving enough in the tank to finish strong.
Hit the 4th mile and knew I would be ok. Pushed through the hills, and knew when I had reached the top of the final one. Saw a guy from my wave 25 feet ahead of me and decided I had to beat him to the finish. Went hard and was in an all out sprint the final 200 yards. Great finish!

I was a 60+ minute 10k guy a year ago. Now i'm at 54 and will only get better.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, got my medal, enjoyed some food. Hung out for a few and then to transition to pick up my stuff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Got sick and had bad training the last 2 weeks, it didn't hold me back too much though.

Event comments:

Great location. This race takes some heat for lack of organization, but I think 99% of it is good. Beautiful venue and a great course. I love it.

Last updated: 2008-08-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:50 | 1500 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 0/256
Performance: Good
No HR
Suit: Tri shorts only
Course: out and back to the second furthest buoy. Keep buoy on the left and the out portion is into the sun.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:29
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:16:34 | 24.4 miles | 19.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/11
Performance: Average
In the low 150s for the most part. Got down to the 140s and up to the 160s on a few climbs.
Wind: Little
Course: 1 Loop through a more rural part of fontana. Some decent sized hills with some really fast descents.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:54:22 | 06.2 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/11
Performance: Good
166-172 bpm for the majority of the run
Course: Out and back. You start off with a pretty decent sized hill, hit a huge .75 mile steep hill about .5 miles in, and have a bunch of rollers throughout.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-06 5:46 PM

User image

Subject: Lake Geneva Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Geneva Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed