Bluegrass Runners / John's Run/Walk Shop
34F / 1C
Sunny
Total Time = 30m 26s
Overall Rank = 98/149
Age Group = Male 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/6
Pre-race routine:

I woke up, got a quick shower and dressed for the race. Tights, base shirt, and warmup jacket. Gloves and toboggan. I had a banana and a donut for breakfast - just enough to keep the "hungries" away. Then I drove to the race location about 10 minutes away.
Event warmup:

I jogged a few "strides" of 2-300 yd each, and walked around a lot. I had 1/2 hour to kill before the race start, and had pre-registered, so I was good to go. I pinned my race number on my jacket, which meant I couldn't take it off. Bad idea, as I got kindof sweaty during the run. I would have liked to have removed the jacket for at least part of the run. I'll have a race belt before the next one.

I also did some stretching and a few more minutes of jogging, then mostly walked around a bit. By the start, I had the aches out of my legs and was feeling good.
Run
  • 30m 31s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 06s  min/km
Comments:

I'm glad I was able to maintain my pace pretty steady and have (slightly) negative splits. I increased my cadence on the steep parts, and kept things in control on the downhills. I was able to motor past a few people who overdid it.

There are some more races later in the year on this same course. It'll be fun to see how I improve over the year.
What would you do differently?:

Wear a different jacket. My "running" jacket doesn't breathe well in the sleeves, and I got pretty sweaty, which is bad in cold weather. My "cycling" jacket would have done better at breathing while breaking the wind.

Other than that I'm tickled pink.
Post race
Warm down:

Mostly I walked around, and stretched a little. Had a snack (the sugar cookies were great!), then hung around for the awards. I didn't get any door prizes, but that's okay! :-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The hills. Factoring in the hills, this was close to a PR for me. The only thing that will help me get faster here is experience. I paced myself well, and (mentally) handled the challenges as well as possible.

Event comments:

There was only one drink station, at 1.5miles, but in the cold with the hills on this short of a race, they really weren't necessary. And there was lots of free water, Gatorade, and Starbucks coffee at the start/finish shelter. A very well put-on race, as are most in this area. The course almost rated a "too hard", but my normal jogging course has a lot of short hills, so I was better prepared than I otherwise might have been.

Last updated: 2005-02-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:31 | 05 kms | 06m 06s  min/km
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 98/149
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 9:58 (159/xxx) Mile 2: 9:46 (162/171) Mile 3: 9:43 (163/171) Final: 0:55 (171/176) Goal was to stay in low 160's throughout the race, with a finishing "kick"
Course: This course is very hilly, with one of those hills that just keeps getting steeper at about mile 2.75. Even the folks who won the race were saying it was a "challenging" course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes