Without Limits Productions
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 14s
Overall Rank = 53/237
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:15 and was on the road by 5:50. Ate a Clif bar and banana. Checked in at the race, realized I didn't have a chip, and found that there was a different table in transition for chips. Set up my transitio area (lots of room, nice setup). Threw on the wetsuit and walked to the swim start. Lots of rocks and my feet hurt.
Event warmup:

After the first wave started, I jumped in the water and swam around a bit. Tested the new goggles and they seemed ok; most importantly they weren't fogging up. Sat and shivered a bit.
Swim
  • 14m 21s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

Positioned myself on the outside for a relatively straight line to the first buoy. No real expectations here again with my swim. Last few swims at the pond have been a bit crappy and I've had some breathing issues.
Started off nice and relaxed and never had any major problems with bumping. Plenty of space throughout. First buoy came up rather quickly. When I started feeling a bit breathless I'd take extra breaths on one side rather than every third stroke. But about half way through I got in a good rhythm of third stroke breathing and felt pretty good. My shoulders did bug me about half way through but I think it was because I changed my stroke in the race setting and wasn't concentrating. Swam until my fingers hit the bottom and walked out. Actual swim time 13:44.
What would you do differently?:

Keep working on my swim. Hope to build this winter.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

I didn't start running from the water until I found a strip of grass. There was a lot of gravel and rocks, including some in the entrance to transition. At some point, I bruised the hell out of my left heel. Wetsuit off easy (ankle zippers). I planned on putting on a light jacket for the bike so this cost me 10-15 seconds. In retrospect, I probably didn't need it. Initial bike was dirt and then rough asphalt so it was a little hard to get up to speed to get shoes on. Right rubber band didn't break so I reached down and broke it.

Ditch the jacket.
Bike
  • 38m 31s
  • 12.7 miles
  • 19.78 mile/hr
Comments:

Wanted to push this as I lose most of my time on the bike. Felt great for the first two loops and stayed aero a lot. Started to feel a little tired on the last loop and my right knee started to twinge (bike fit stuff I think). But I pushed through it and was happy. My cyclometer had me at 20.3 mph ave so I'm not sure what the discrepancy is.

Keep riding, keep pushing.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

I probably should have just ran in my bike shoes as this side of the transition was a little dicey. I stepped on a rock and bruised my left heel and had to jump over mud with socks on. But quick transition (2nd in AG) and off for the run.

Scout out the transitions better.
Run
  • 20m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Left foot was numb for the first 2 miles but I was running well and felt strong. Started developing side stitches at mile 1. Got worse at 1.5 and moved to upper right abdomen. Not really sure why as I drank very little on the bike. Last 0.5 mile tough with cramps.

Haven't had cramps like this on the run for quite awhile. Irritating as my legs still felt good and I feel like I could have pushed the run more.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched a bit. Noticed then that my left heel was starting to hurt.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More swimming time but I'm happy with today's race. Bike is improving. Today was my first real ride with the new bike (cardinal sin #1) and new goggles (cardinal sin #2). Fortunately nothing disasterous happened.
Honestly I didn't have a great attitude coming in today with my recent bike and swim issues, Friday's cold weather, and the fact I was blowing my nose all day Friday. But I really wanted to get in a second tri this season so I stopped feeling sorry for myself and had a great race.

Event comments:

Inaugural race. Swim course was cool and water was warm. Criterium bike was interesting, plenty of spectators and some cowbells even. Closed to traffic (quite the coup!). Good run. Events on time and pretty good post events.
I took fourth in my AG but first place took third overall in the race so I think maybe I'm supposed to receive an award but I didn't stick around to find out.
September tris seem a bit dicey weather wise but this worked out perfect. 50 degrees at swim start and 60 at the run finish.

Last updated: 2008-08-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:21 | 800 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 87/237
Performance: Average
Suit: ProMotion
Course: Counter clockwise half moon. Honestly I don't know if this course was 800 meters, it felt a little short. But it was cool to start in one place and finish in another.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:57
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:31 | 12.7 miles | 19.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/15
Overall: 86/237
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Short ride to a 4 mile loop. Criterium style with three loops (don't lose count!). Pretty flat and closed to traffic!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:27 | 03.11 miles | 06m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/15
Overall: 33/237
Mile 1: 6:25
Course: Out and back with a long hill from 1 to 2 miles (down to 1.5 and up to 2). Dirt roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-07 3:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: Oktoberfest Sprint Triathlon

2008-09-09 9:26 AM
in reply to: #1656519

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: RE: Oktoberfest Sprint Triathlon
very nice race!  I'll have to look into this one for next year.  Longmont is a good venue for tri's.  Your bike and swim aren't too far off.  ...you get a little serious about these other disciplines and you'll be impressive!
2008-09-09 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1656519

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Subject: RE: Oktoberfest Sprint Triathlon
Nice job on the race!!!   Hope the heel's feeling better.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oktoberfest Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed