Triple Sports
109F / 43C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 30s
Overall Rank = 8/134
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/34
Pre-race routine:

Got there early and tried to find shade and grass so we could get off the blistering asphault transition was in. Right before the start I put cold water in my aero bottle and strapped my ipod to my visor as they announced they were allowing them on the run. WOOT!
Event warmup:

No need to warm up as it was 109 and I felt my muscles were about as warm as I wanted them to be.
Swim
  • 07m 53s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

***STOP READING and go to the bottom and read up. This was a reverse....Run, Bike Swim.****

Swim was good. I just jumped in and went. No hanging on the walls, just a quick breath and pushed off. Was very agressive with passing people and squeezing through the middle even when oncoming swimmers were passing. Tried to think about form and really pulling, but really just tried to get through it the best I could. I felt good about my bike, so I wanted to try to have a strong swim as well.
What would you do differently?:

Have no one else be in the pool with me! :-)
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

This is T2. I am approximating 1:30 min here. It was included in my Swim time of 9:23. Had a bit of a run to get into the pool. Did pretty well except when I went to put my goggles on my sunglasses were still there!! So I flicked them into the grass and kept going. Luckily Josh saw me do it and he picked them up for me!
Bike
  • 42m 35s
  • 12.9 miles
  • 18.18 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was 3 shorter loops instead of 2 longers ones tihs year. I liked it better as you didn't have to do the long lonely stretch on the backside with nothing to break the headwind, but the downside was that you had to do the "hilly" part right out of transition 3 times. Max speed 30.4.

Nothing. I left it all out there. I was irritated about the run. Felt so slow and my HR was so jacked. As I started I thought for sure I was done and this was just not going to be my race, but somehow I caught my second wind and hammered it out. I have never been so close to puking before in a race. I am generally not a puker, but everytime on the hills I felt like puking. I wasn't sure if it was just all the water in my stomach, or what. I ate a few beans and it helped calm it down. Each time I reached the top of the climbing bit, and turned the corner for the long, gradual down slope I just dropped into my highest gear and dropped people like they were sitting still. That felt awesome!! Felt good to pass some of those girls I couldn't catch on the run. Moved from 36th on the run to 6th on the bike!
Transition 2
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

This is T1. As soon as I hit the timing mat from the run, I started walking. I have never wanted to walk so bad in my life! I was slightly dizy and my HR was so high, I just needed a few seconds to get myself under control. I maybe walked 20 ft then jogged to my spot. Tried to be quick abouit my shoes, but was afraid if I leaned over I would pass out. So I tried to concentrate on my helmet and visor and flicking my shoes off first, before leaning over to deal with my bike shoes. I COULD have had a faster T1, and could have moved up one spot in the overall rankings if I could have shaved off 10 seconds. 10 SECONDS! Grrrrrr! But given the circomstances, I was just trying to do the best I could at the time.

GO FASTER!
Run
  • 29m 13s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Ugh!!! So this race started at 4:30 and 4:40 for the men, and 4:50 for the women. It was 109, with full sun. We started on a cement path that snaked behind a housing addition. This was ok as it was slightly down hill and you were in the shade of the houses. But this only lasted for about a mile. Then it was onto the black asphalt bike lane of a never ending gradual climb, with the sun frying your left side. The bottom of my feet have never felt so hot!! You know when you have your feet too close to a camp fire and you think "wow..the bottom of my feet are melting...I need to scoot back?" Yeah...that was feeling but there was nothing you could do about it. I kept watching my HR and it was climbing to 175. This is bad for me. During a race I do not want to see it above 170. I know if I do that I will blow up. I literally had to convince myself to slow down my pace to try to get my HR to drop. I could feel the blood pounding in my head. I felt like I was jogging (yeah....the time agrees with me) but there was nothing I could do about it. I started getting a bit dizzy and was thinking I just need to finish this run without passing out! Get to the bike...you'll have a fan on you then!!! This was the hardest run I have ever done.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for everyone to finish then checked the results. Looked like a few people did well, so we should stay for awards. I was waiting for them to call Astrids name, when they got to my AG and said I got 3rd! HOLY CRAP! SWEET! I my age group as the fastet people in it as really I was 5th in my AG before they pulled the top 3 overall women out. 2 of them were in my AG. So that bounced me up. Sweet! I'll take it!! Still 8th fastest overall, and 5 out of those 8 were in my AG! Sux. I laughingly said I moved up a spot from 9th to 8th becuase Sally wasn't there this year!! We missed her though! Should would have totally rocked it!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Did I mention it was 109 and sunny!

Event comments:

This race took a dive this year. We have always been able to use the community center bathrooms and locker rooms, AND they supplied 4 port a pottys out side. This year we were banned from the Center, and only had acess to the tennis court bathrooms. 2 stalls. Yeah.... Also, the 2 water stations on the run in 109 temps was not enough, and especially when the second one was manned by 3 clueless high school girls. And eventhough I have to believe the wave starts helped the mass conjestion in the pool, it was still conjested and I was STILL stuck with all the sucky guys who were walking, and hopping, and frog stroking, etc.. I was so done with it I just swam over them this year. Going to send the RD a note about this because the fastest guys start first and have no idiots to try to swim around in the pool. With the women starting last, we have all the sucky guys to swim around. It's not fair. They have got to come up with a better system. But even with all the issues the reverse swim can have, I LOVE a reverse tri!! Can't wait for the next one on Thanksgiving morning!

Last updated: 2008-07-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:53 | 400 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 21/134
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:35 | 12.9 miles | 18.18 mile/hr
Overall: 6/134
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:19
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:13 | 03.1 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 0/134
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-09-07 4:59 PM

Pro
AZ
Subject: Anthem Sprint Triathlon

2008-09-07 5:11 PM
in reply to: #1656647

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Anthem Sprint Triathlon

Allright, I'm giving you a huge WOOOOOOOOT!!!!! Way to kill that course. Yay! I missed it so much but I'm so happy you rocked it and picked up the much deserved hardware.

WTG!!!l 

2008-09-07 5:18 PM

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
Great job out there in hell! It sure was hot.
2008-09-07 9:59 PM

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az
damn that was a hot race. SOrry I missed you guys, would have love to see you all again. you had a great race!!
2008-09-08 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Nice job in the heat, just think if it was cooler you may have pulled 1st. Congrats on 3rd place.
2008-09-08 12:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maricopa, AZ

Great race! You are right about the run, that was one of the toughest runs ever. The sun beating on your entire left side on the second half was horribly hot.

You had a faster max mph on the bike than me. I only got to 29.9mph. Way to go. I think I need a real tri bike or an aero helmet. LOL

2008-09-08 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)
Only thing that would have made it better is if you had reversed the reverse and did one of those swim, bike, run thingy's!  Great job on the bobble head!
2008-09-08 5:38 PM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane

Awesome job out there!!!  You did so well in that heat!  I totally agree with you about the reverse...loved the concept but they have some kinks to work out, especially for the women.  I think maybe three more waves would really help.  Stagger m-f by age groups for 15 min or something?  I don't know. 

Congratulations on your finish!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Anthem Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed