General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles Triathlon (Kaiser Permanente) - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Los Angeles Triathlon (Kaiser Permanente) - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Los Angeles, California
United States
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 59m 58s
Overall Rank = 681/1111
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 14/38
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00 to take meds and shower. Plan to to take meds and go back to sleep but I was a little too amped up. Took a shower ate a bagel with peanut butter and a banana and downed some sports drink.
Event warmup:

Roamed around a little stretched and tried to relax. Spent some time in a port-o-potty line then watched a pro at the front of our line realize that her wave was starting in 3 minutes, she ran in and out and got into her wetsuit faster than anyone I've ever see.
Swim
  • 31m 41s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Fairly decent swim, the swell made it difficult to sight and I got pushed around more than I wanted to, surprised that I did as well on the swim considering. Caught a drafit for about 300m off a swimmer on the long stretch but dropped her when she started swimming out to sea. All in all this swim was an additional 150m for me considering all the correction I had to make.

Rounded the final bouy and tried to catch waves, caught one but didn't get much out of it. Being my second ocean swim (in a tri) I kept my heart rate much lower than Pendleton.
What would you do differently?:

try and sight better
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Shoved everything into T1 bag. It was a point to point race so had to have everything ready to go so the bags could be moved. "Shove, zip and run" that was my mantra. Nearly ran ove a sprint competitior who has hanging out near my rack. Sorry dude.

Not a whole lot. Got the heck out of Dodge.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 58s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.34 mile/hr

Pay attention I had not idea transition was coming up so fast
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Spaced and wasn't paying attention, didn't get shoes off in time so I hopped off and ran with bike, right into ... walkers ... walking and unable to find their rack. Ran past and found my rack. Bike shoes off, helmet and running shoes on. Grabbed visor and race belt and ... crap my race belt had come undone so I spent the first 100 feet of running trying to figure out how to get it threaded back the way it was supposed to be. No problem off I went

Check race belt before I dropped on T2 bag on Saturday.
Run
  • 57m 53s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out strong but had to slow myself down. I have a history of taking off out of transition and running out of steam. My family was on the run course so I was super jazzed to see them. I knew the hill was coming up and I needed my legs as fresh as possible before I got there. Ran the first loop, walked 20 feet of the hill (it totally sucked, end of story) turned around and a kid handed me gatorade, it was mixed too sweet and I gagged and spit it out, it was only going to be water for the rest of the race.

Came back down hill and ran back for the second loop, met a guy doing the sprint. Morgan looked like he was having a tough time and asked if he could run with me. I said sure and we ran a section on Grand together. I tried to talk him into running the hill with me but he opted to walk, I wished him luck and he did the same and we parted ways.

Ran the whole 2nd loop except for 20 ft of the hill. This worked well and I had enough energy to finish the race strong and not blow out my legs.

Came back into downtown and was so happy I didn't have to go to the right again (to make the turn around for the second loop). Headed down the finishers chute and crossed the finish line. Loots of people cheering (It was very cool).

Nothing, I felt like I pushed it as much as possible but made good decisions over all. Wouldn't have changed my decision to walk part of the hill.
Post race
Warm down:

After crossing the finish line volunteers took my chip, handed me an icy towel (I had been looking forward to this towel for at least an hour, maybe 2) and I got my finishers medal. Got in line and ate some grapes and part of a bagel, grabbed a bottle of water, chugged it, it was warm, tossed up and found a bin with ice and cold water, shoved ice down my tri suit and drank the cold water. Visited with the family and decided to go get real food. Headed over to the beer garden for my free beer, drank a third but it wasn't going down well so it was off to the car to clean up, loosen up and head to lunch

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more bike training. This is my weakest leg. Need to work on mashing the large gears without blowing out the legs. My goal for the fall and winter is to put on the biking miles (and time in the saddle).

Event comments:

I enjoyed doing this race. Probably wont do it again next year. Not a huge fan of the point to point aspect of the race. Very well organized.

I had three plans for the race (A, B and C)

Plan A was my "I'm having a great day and everything is going right" My goal was to finish in 3:00 to 3:05
Plan B was my "It's an okay day, wheels haven't fallen off but I'm hurting a little" goal to finish in 3:10
Plan B was "I pinch flatted on a pot hole and lost my nutrition" the goal was to finish in 3:20.

I really didn't expect to break 3 hours. Only by 2 seconds, had no idea I came that close. I'm very excited that I broke 3 hours on my first attempt out for an olympic. It gave me some confidence as I start to build up base for HIM training.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:41 | 1640 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 0/1111
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU
Course: Large modified box
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:25:58 | 24.85 miles | 17.34 mile/hr
Felt good about the ride. Got passed in the first 6 miles by 8 women and then it was lonely, very lonely and I was hitting the rough roads, lost a tail light and some other gear off my bike. Road strong and tried not to be afraid of the down hills. The aid stations were awesome. Grabbed a full bottle of water from a kid and the water shot up in the air (apparently the last several hand offs were misses) and the whole aid station cheered. That gave me an added boost and I felt strong until my poof in my aero bottle sunk to the bottom and when I hit the next pot hole half my aero bottle ended up on me (it was sports drink so I ended up a little sticky. Climbed fairly well and made some good decisions on pacing. Made the last big climb into downtown and took the nose dive down Grand. I hit 40MPH coming down that hill and scared the living ... out of myself. Very cool but then realized that I had to run up that hill not once but twice .... hmmmm
Wind: Little
Course: Rollers with a couple short climbs
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:57:53 | 06.21 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Course: 2 loops out and back. Gradual climb with last section being a steep climb to the Disney concert hall. 3 water stations on route hit twice over for olympic.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-07 7:29 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: Los Angeles Triathlon (Kaiser Permanente) - Olympic Distance

2008-09-07 8:29 PM
in reply to: #1656875

User image

Subject: RE: Los Angeles Triathlon (Kaiser Permanente) - Olympic Distance
Congrats on breaking 3 for your first Oly.  That's awesome (especially with that hill!!!)
2008-09-08 12:54 AM

User image

Regular
Sherman Oaks
Nice race.  I agree that going down Grand is a lot of fun on the bike until you realize that all these runners you're seeing are struggling and you'll be in that group in a few minutes...
2008-09-08 11:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bend, OR

Congrats on breaking that 3 hour mark!!  Great race!!

I'll see you at CA 70.3!!

2008-09-08 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita

Nice RR and congrats on the sub 3 . Some of the roads were indeed in pretty poor shape. 

I looked down many times to see if i had lost a bike bottle .

Well Done  

2008-09-08 1:36 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Laughing at my RR now. I need to wait until I'm well rested before I attempt to author a RR, spelling mistakes all over the place, go figure. Got too excited yesterday and wanted to write it, should have waited until I had a full nights rest before I started typing.

2008-09-08 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita

You could always write it while its still fresh in your memory  and then save as draft . 

2008-09-08 1:42 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Good point. That will be the plan for the next race. English teachers beware, I should not be allowed to write when I'm that tired.
2008-09-08 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Actually you may be  able to  go into your race listings and  select  edit and make the changes you would like to your RR .  
2008-09-09 1:56 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the advice I made the edits and it's not so painful to read.
2008-09-09 2:02 PM
in reply to: #1661732

New user

Los Angeles
looks like we had very similar races and took the same thing out of it-a lot of fun, but not a course to be done again. Congrats on the great finish (14th!).

2008-09-10 7:50 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco

Great job on your race, going sub 3, and meeting all your goals! Laughing  You've got a solid base for your HIM training and perhaps I'll see you there (I'll probably sign up again).  Congrats again and good look with your training!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles Triathlon (Kaiser Permanente) - Olympic Distance Rss Feed