Ironhead Race Productions
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 08m 26s
Overall Rank = 93/156
Age Group = 35-39 M
Age Group Rank = 24/38
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:30am to get ready so I could be on the road by 4:30. Ate a peanut butter and banana sandwich and loaded up the car.
Event warmup:

Nothing really... just did some light stretching.
Swim
  • 44m 19s
  • 1950 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started our real easy so that I wouldn't overdue it. About half way through I started to fall behind, but not because I was tired. I just kept a slow pace, but it was a little too slow. I pushed it real hard the last ~600-700m and made up some time.
What would you do differently?:

Start out at a little higher pace. Not too high... or maybe start to pick it up earlier. I felt just fine getting out of the water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

Took my time... i decided to go ahead and wear my shirt. It was a good call because it kept the cold water on me during the run.
Bike
  • 2h 51m 55s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Ended up towards the top of my AG. By far my best leg today. I drank a lot and used Nuun in my accellerade. I felt real hydrated. I ate a gu every 45 mins and 2 clif bars (one at hour 1 and 1 at hour 2:30). The calorie intake was a little too much at the end. The only thing that hurt was my lower back for some reason.

Try to space out the calories a little better. Overall, I kept a good pace and felt strong during the whole thing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Just put on the shoes and took off.
Run
  • 2h 27m 21s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

This was by far the worst run I've done. The heat was just unbarable. I felt fine the first 4 hours, and then it really started to kick in. I wasn't light headed and kept hydrated, so that wasn't an issue. The heat just took it out of me. I had to walk several times, and it totally killed my time. Judging by others on the course it knocked them out as well. My mind was clear and I wanted to go, but my legs were just dead. If I would have finished the run in 2 hours I would have made it under 6 hours for the day. I just couldn't do it. I give myself an E for effort though because I left it all out on the course.

Run a different race.
Post race
Warm down:

After i stumbled across the finish line... i just grabbed my finisher shirt and some water and sat down. Called my wife to let her know that I finished.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The unbearable heat.

Event comments:

The race festivities afterwords were not that great. For all the flack that Dallas Sports University (formerly Dallas Athletes) has taken, they put on a far better race from an entertainment and cool down perspective. Of course, the fact that I was basically a walking zombie afterwords probably had something to do with my perception. I don't think I'll be doing this one again though. I'd like to find something with at least some shade... it was like running in the Sahara dessert.

Last updated: 2008-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:19 | 1950 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 0/156
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: the only thing I didn't like was the few times that I felt like I got a mouthful of boat fuel.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:51:55 | 56 miles | 19.54 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Somewhat flat with some false flats.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:27:21 | 13.1 miles | 11m 15s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: BRUTAL! Hot and straight from the pit of hell. The dam was just long and never ended. No shade at any time. The end just kept getting further and further away. I would have been in much better shape had there been at least some shade.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2008-09-07 8:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville
Subject: PrairieMan Half Triathlon

2008-09-07 8:21 PM
in reply to: #1656930

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: PrairieMan Half Triathlon
this is a brutal race usually heat wise,, being out on that dam gets a lot of people.. It sounds like you actually had a pretty good race when you consider that
2008-09-07 8:54 PM
in reply to: #1656948

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville

Gaarryy - 2008-09-07 8:21 PM this is a brutal race usually heat wise,, being out on that dam gets a lot of people.. It sounds like you actually had a pretty good race when you consider that

Yeah... I think I'm going to look for a different HIM next year. Now I'm really glad I didn't bring the family our there today. 

2008-09-07 9:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
You're like Michael Phelps. 1:07 / 100 yards??? Amazing.

Great race. I ended up leaving at around 9:45 after my race and awards ceremony and it was already beginning to get hot. I can't even imagine what the heat must have felt like when you were on that run course....

Great job!
2008-09-08 9:03 AM
in reply to: #1657138

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville

fendermh1027 - 2008-09-07 9:40 PM You're like Michael Phelps. 1:07 / 100 yards??? Amazing. Great race. I ended up leaving at around 9:45 after my race and awards ceremony and it was already beginning to get hot. I can't even imagine what the heat must have felt like when you were on that run course.... Great job!

No.. not Phelps. I evidently plugged in the wrong distance. My swim was more like 2:15/100m. I wish I was that fast. 

Thanks for the encouragement. 

2008-09-08 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran

Good job out there!  That heat was just brutal yesterday! A great HIM to do nexy year is Lone Star in Galveston in March.  It is very family friendly (there is a park in the back of the run course) and Keith puts on an event that can't be beat!!!   

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » PrairieMan Half Triathlon Rss Feed