Transportation Alternatives
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 56m 41s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 4:45, got dressed, had a bowl of cereal & headed out. Stopped at a deli and got coffee. The only people on the road were other cyclists.
Bike
  • 3h 58m 41s
  • 55 miles
  • 13.82 mile/hr
Comments:

Home to Starting Line (12.5 miles)
I got across the bridge with no problem. I had planned to take 6th ave up to the park, but missed my turn, so I foolishly decided to take the WSH greenway up to the park, even though it was out of the way. At around 59th St, my front tire started to feel squirrily, and, when I stopped (after a near-crash b/c it lost traction) I realized it was flat. I had forgotten to buy a tube, and the spot where I was wasn't the safest place to sit and fix a flat (dark, deserted, out of the way), so I used my CO2 to keep topping off the tire until I could get to Central Park, where I was able t o sit down and patch it. I bought a tube from the mechanic at the starting line, but my patch job held beautifully all day.

Central Park to Prospect Park (Brooklyn). Not the most interesting of rides. It was more fun when we used to ride down Fifth Avenue. Riding through a mostly deserted Times Square was cool. Stopped at the first rest stop and had a pb bagel. Considered changing my tube, but decided to cross my fingers and hope the patch held.

Prospect Park to Canarsie Pier
My favorite part of the ride. Out under the Verrazano Bridge Greenway, past Coney Island, and out along the beach. Mostly greenways, and the only part of the ride where I could maintain any kind of decent speed.

Canarsie Pier to Long Island City
An incredibly slow, frustrating leg. Traffic lights and intersections the entire way. Hooked up with a couple of good riders and was able to keep a decent pace, but it was still really slow and not much fun--nothing really to look at.

LIC to Finish Line- Other than a slow crossing of the Triborough bridge that required carrying the bike up and down several sets of stairs, this was an ok leg.
What would you do differently?:

Ride the 75 or 100-mile course on my road bike. This is the 3rd time I've done this course, and it hasn't gotten much more interesting.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some sports drink and a big cookie. Rode to the other side of the park and caught the A-train home, since I'd promised my wife I'd be home by lunchtime.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My MTB, but mostly the course. Out of the 55-mile course, there are perhaps 15-20 miles where you can ride uninterrupted for any length of time. The rest of the course is all intersections and traffic lights.

Event comments:

If you want a chance to ride around NYC, see some landmarks, some great views, and maybe some parts of the city you've never seen before, and you don't want the crowds or hassles of the Five Borough Bike Tour, then this event is fine. It's hard to call it a true Century, though, because it really isn't much of a challenge. There are no hills to speak of, other than bridges, and the course really necessitates that you ride the course at a pretty leisurely pace.
I might consider doing the 75- or 100-mile courses, just because I've never done them, but unless my son wants to ride it with me one day, there's no way I'm doing the 55 again.

Last updated: 2008-07-28 12:00 AM
Biking
03:58:41 | 55 miles | 13.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
HR was mostly in Z2 and 3. Average around 120.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: A 55-mile loop through Manhattan, Brooklyn & Queens. Mostly urban, but a few long stretches of greenway. Lots and lots and lots of traffic lights.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2008-09-07 8:53 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: NYC Century Bike Tour - 100 Mile

2008-09-08 11:25 AM
in reply to: #1657020

Pro
AZ
Subject: RE: NYC Century Bike Tour - 100 Mile
WOW. The fact that you did this one week after getting hit AND on a MTB!  Incredible!!!  Awesome job.
2008-09-08 6:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Subject: RE: NYC Century Bike Tour - 100 Mile
Ditto! Jonah= Rock Star
2008-09-08 6:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA