United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 43m 20s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

Note: all times in this report are complete estimates. They do not keep splits in this race, only full lap times.

We arrived at the park at about 6:30 am or so and set up the tent and all our stuff. Got bodymarked and then I just concentrated on staying warm and hydrated. Autumn was doing the first lap through the course, so I had a good 1.5+ hours to wait yet... Helped her get her wetsuit on, chatted with Emily and her team some, and then it was time to head to the beach for the start!
Event warmup:

None really. Once Autumn was out on the run, I put my wetsuit on and got in the water for a few minutes. But since I didn't know excactly when Autumn would be finishing, I ended up getting out of the water too soon and probably was completely cooled down again by the time she came through. Oh well!
Swim
  • 22m
  • 1200 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swims were good. I love this lake for swimming and felt good in the water. Both times I started, I was about 20m behind someone and made it my goal to pass them before the first buoy. Then I just concentrated on catching the next person in front of me, then the next one in front of that, etc. It's so nice not to do the mass start! Love that.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Navigation was good, breathing was relaxed, I felt strong.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

These were longer than in a normal tri since every second does not really count in this format (at least not for our team). I got the wetsuit off, shoes and socks on, and then dressed. The first time I wore a windbreaker, gloves, and knee warmers. The second time was arm warmers in lieu of the jacket, and no knee warmers.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 48m
  • 28 miles
  • 15.56 mile/hr
Comments:

I just totally suck on this bike course. I admit I was mentally predisposed to poor performance because I did not like this course last year, and it was the same course this year. I went in with a bad attitude about it, so I cursed myself from the beginning.

Both times the ride was ok until about the last three-ish miles. Then it's false flats followed by the steep hill into the park. I simply don't have the mental wherewithal to handle false flats. Period. I can handle obvious hills ok, but not false flats. I guess when it *looks* like I should be descending, but I'm actually only going 11 mph, I get too discouraged. I don't know how else to explain it.

Oh, at the start of the second ride, there was about a two minute window where it just POURED rain. It was so weird. It didn't rain in the park, but just outside of it, maybe a mile or two into the bike course, it was pouring. And then it was gone! Just enough to soak us.

At the end of the second ride, my low back was absolutely screaming. I don't know what the issue was, but it was hurting bad.

Not get my hopes up that the bike course would be different. There was some talk on the race web site that construction might force a change in the bike route this year, and I guess I was mentally hitching my horse to that wagon. When it turned out to be the same, I was disappointed and let it fester into a spectacularly crappy attitude.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

These were fine--bike gear off, runs shoes on, race number and sunglasses and off!

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 15m
  • 6.2 miles
  • 12m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

I was actually looking forward to running, for once in my life. :) The trails are so scenic, especially the run over the bridge and along the river. Very nice. I was slow, dog slow, but it was still nice. The kids at the water station at the turn around were cracking me up, so I spent way too much time there. They were asking 20 questions about the race and how it worked, and if it was a fundraiser or what, so I lost a lot of time there, but didn't care a whole lot. They were fun to hang around with for a couple minutes.

I walked more than I should have on the second lap, but my low back was NOT happy and I every step reminded me of that. Also on that lap I walked with #204 for a while. She was limping/walking and crying on the trail to of course I asked her if she was ok and if I could do anything to help. She was having severe knee pain and was just in tears, poor thing. I walked with her for a while to make sure she didn't slip down the wood steps, and then she told me to run along and asked me to deliver a message to her teammmate/husband that she was coming as fast as she could. Another huge time suck but I don't care.

Run more. Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finisheline to find Autumn back in her street clothes so I knew we were done for the day. That was fine with me. Walked back over to the tent drank some water. I'm a big baby, though, so I start bawling and apologizing for being a crappy teammate this year, and for my general poor attitude. She of course told me to knock it off, but I felt that I was the big wet blanket of the day.

We packed up our stuff and hit the road. It was only about 3 pm, and the race would go on until at least 5:30, but we didn't stick around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

All my normal factors were contributors--slow running, excessive weight--but more than anything today it was attitude. Mine sucked! I was just not feeling it this year. I was very undertrained and very under-rested in the weeks leading up to this, so that didn't help either.

Event comments:

Despite my Negative Nelly race report, this is still an awesome event. The RD is great, there was free food for all (including spectators), a DJ and karaoke, a hot tub on site, and other nice goodies. The park is gorgeous, and it's nice to have an event that is a little out of the ordinary. I highly recommend this race to anyone, and I will be back again next year!

Last updated: 2008-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:00 | 1200 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:48:00 | 28 miles | 15.56 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back. False flats for about a mile before the big hill at the end. I do not like this course.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:15:00 | 06.2 miles | 12m 06s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Trail run with lots of twists and turns
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-08 7:41 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Burrito Union 10 Hour Triathlon

2008-09-08 2:47 PM
in reply to: #1657472

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Burrito Union 10 Hour Triathlon
Are you going to write a report???   Well, I know you did awesome.  You did one more run than I did that day
2008-09-08 9:30 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
you did a fantastic job, all factors taken into consideration. next year we will mop it up...and partake in the hot tub action.
2008-09-09 8:07 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Such a riveting description of the race!!!   Congrats!
2008-09-09 8:08 AM

User image

Champion
MA
More details..it is on my race list next year to do with my  brother..I'd like to hear more about it.
2008-09-09 4:27 PM

User image

Elite
Sounds like you girls had fun.  I see you drug Autumn out of retirement also.

2008-09-09 7:17 PM

User image

Elite
Awesome race. Cold weather. At least the water was still warm.
2008-09-09 8:21 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
WOW! That sounds like a tough race.  Congrats on actually loving the run! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Burrito Union 10 Hour Triathlon Rss Feed