General Discussion Race Reports! » Portage Lakes Olympic Triathlon - Akron Internatio Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Portage Lakes Olympic Triathlon - Akron Internatio - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Akron, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 35m 31s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/19
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in a Hotel- a first for racing. Found a nice Mexican resturant. Feeling so nice I had a Margarita. An extremely large margarita. I think I may have gone to bed a little dehydrated. Stayed up a little later than I expected. Woke up around 630. Ate my regular pre race meal of PBJ, soy milk and an apple. Felt a little tired and thirsty.
Event warmup:

My only gripe really with HFP. I picked up my packet the day before. No swim cap ("you can pick that up tomorrow") no bib number ("we arent going to use them"). That is fine except when I get to the race I have to stand in the registration line again. They wouldnt let me get my timing chip even though I have my bike tag on my bike. I had to stand in line again. Why pick up a packet beforehand if I have to stand in line? As a result I did not have any time to run or bike prior to the race. A couple of strokes in the lake then I was off.
Swim
  • 26m 25s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Run start, rectangle x 2. Odd thing about the course was the first turn buoy was only about 25M out into the lake. You could almost run the whole way to the turn. This could have been a giant cluster but HFP had a good solution- the timing mat was at the waters edge. They sounded the horn for the wave and your clock did not start until you started. That allowed people to string out without losing time. My race was pretty uneventful. Hit my race pace target (roughly 1:30) It was a nice swim, no fighting, sighting was good. Goggles fogged up once. Did not encounter any weeds that others had mentioned on race reports.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. The transition was a nice jog up a hill probably 200-300M to the transition area. I dont think I really move too fast during this time. I am not going to practice running in half of a wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Suit got a little stuck. I started riding with socks so that took a little more time (but I gained it right back by not having to put them on for the run so it was a wash)
Bike
  • 1h 15m 5s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.86 mile/hr
Comments:

The weather was kinda cool. I had problems getting warmed up the first five miles. Couldnt spin fast/couldnt hit the higher gears. Once I got moving it was alright. My fastest bike split this year. I put in a lot of biking time and my average went up a little for this race (a PR). I feel good about that but I think my junky 200$ road bike might be culpable in my biking plateau. I ride outside, trainer, spinning class but despite the time I am still getting waxed every race. I wasnt gassed at the end of the bike leg but I couldnt see myself going much faster.

Not to lay my bike on the ground prior to racking it. I forgot I already filled my aero bottle. I noticed the lack of fluid 2 miles in. I drank all fluid by the end of the first loop. I was a wee bit thirsty coming into the run
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I still have issues dismounting. I havent really practiced a flying dismount. I stop, try not to fall over and start to run into transition.
Run
  • 50m 34s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Nice course in that the loop was uphill for the first half and downhill for the second half. I have really been doing well in training and was excited to see what I could do. Unfortunately I couldnt get the legs a moving. I felt alright-breathing was good, no leg pains, no cramps but I just couldnt get my cadence up enough. I was passed by a guy in my age group around mile three. He said " Bummer, I was hoping to pace off you the rest of the race" That cheezed me off and he was always within 50-100 yards of me the rest of the race. I know I have more speed that that but I couldnt make my legs more faster. I wasnt mad at him so much as I was mad at myself for not running up to my potential.

turn the temperature up about 5 degrees so I could sweat and get loose.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around drinking some water and Heed. Not too much- felt fine

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well it was a PR for me overall time. The bike continues to be a limiting reagent for success. Dont recommend drinking the night prior to the race.

Event comments:

Only issue with HFP is
1) Why pick up the packet the day before if it doesnt save time the morning of?
2) Related to #1- Late starts, lack of warm up time for many competitors

Last updated: 2008-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:25 | 1640 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/19
Overall: 19/
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: rectangle(750M) two laps
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:15:05 | 24.85 miles | 19.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/19
Overall: 19/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: double rolling loop, one biggish hill
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:50:34 | 06.21 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/19
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: double loop. Distance 0.5-2.0 are at an uphill grade. Distance 2.0 to finish were at a downhill grade
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-08 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: Portage Lakes Olympic Triathlon - Akron Internatio

2008-09-08 9:56 AM
in reply to: #1657767

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Portage Lakes Olympic Triathlon - Akron Internatio

Congrats on your PR!  Great job doing that!

Agree about the line to register - way too long...

2008-09-08 1:56 PM
in reply to: #1657767

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Subject: RE: Portage Lakes Olympic Triathlon - Akron Internatio

Good race.  I was a bit dissapointed I had to drop out since my son raced the day before and my wife nixed the expense of my racing the next day (I agreed).

The kids race went kind of bad.  HFP treated all the parents very poorly.  If you get a chance to read a long complaint (they exhibited amazing behavior that couldn't be summed up breifly) then please read and comment.

Good job on PR.

Edit: My son is White_Fang.

Edited by DieuEtMonDroit 2008-09-08 1:57 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Portage Lakes Olympic Triathlon - Akron Internatio Rss Feed