United States
Max Performance
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 42s
Overall Rank = 17/576
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/21
Pre-race routine:

Up at about 5am (after waking at 3am to strong wind and being a little worried about weather...). Had my toast with pb, honey, and banana- which usually sits great but my stomach was a little nervous. Got to Hopkinton around 6:20am and set up.
Event warmup:

Biked for a few minutes, ran for a few minutes just to try to stretch out the muscles. Swam for a little while with some accelerations. Just kept trying to stay loose and drink fluids.
Swim
  • 07m 51s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

As per mav's advice, I started out on the far right so I could be in the front section without being in the contact. It worked great! I didn't get any contact and was able to break out from the group pretty early. I didn't know this was going to be a start from treading water, I thought it was going to be a wade start, so that threw me a bit. I just concentrated on finding my pace. Pulled some to try to keep my legs loose and not tired.
What would you do differently?:

I kept a comfortable pace but didn't push myself that hard. I need to find a balance between saving up for the latter portions and working hard in the swim. Still, I am happy with it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

This is my second triathlon and I knew I would be slow here-- I didn't know I would be this slow though. I was third out of the water in my wave but probably got passed by 5 people in the transition area. If I keep doing these I think that a tri-suit will be worth the investment.

I went as fast as I could with what I had so it was ok.
Bike
  • 40m 5s
  • 11.8 miles
  • 17.66 mile/hr
Comments:

This is the fastest I have ever biked... all thanks to mav. Seriously, I would not have done as well today if she had not lent me her road bike-- so THANK YOU Mav!!! The bike is my weakest section but I am pretty happy with it. I passed a few people on the hills (my strongest area on the bike) but then got passed a few times on the flat.

Work on my endurance. I had moments of tired after the hills, also work on my speed on the flat and downhill.
Transition 2
  • 00m 29s
Comments:

This was fine. Just put the bike in and ran out.

Nothing, this was good.
Run
  • 24m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Honestly, I am surprised that I ran sub-8 minute miles. This was really rough for me. I pushed a bit too hard on the bike and I really felt it during the run. By my last mile, I was feeling rough and just concentrated on getting through. Once I finished, my boyfriend commentated that I had stopped sweating and I think that was part of the problem as well-- I had felt dehydrated. But, I am happy with the time and, in the future, know I need to work on running more and drinking more while running!

Drink more.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water, and some yummy Naked juice they were giving out =) Topped it off with a delicious brownie treat Kroner brought... Thanks, Kroner!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I need to drink more during the race. I also need to work on my 1st transition- which would greatly be helped by having one outfit I can just wear the whole time rather than putting clothes on over my suit.

Event comments:

I was really happy with this race. Albeit, also very surprised. I by no means expected to win my age group. I really came out hoping to get in the top 10 of my group but ended up doing much better than I expected. I am also pretty happy with my over all rank. I can not downplay how much of a difference Mav's bike made (as compared to my mountain bike) and I am so thankful to her! For next year, assuming I continue, I will need to bite the bullet and buy a road bike and more appropriate tri- clothing...
This was my first year of these races- Title 9 was my second race- and I think that it is something I am going to keep doing. I had a great time all around and I really like knowing some of the people at this race. BT was great in providing a forum where we could connect and get out and practice together. I am looking forward to more practice sessions and races with BT-ers!

Last updated: 2008-08-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:51 | 440 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/21
Overall: 10/576
Performance: Good
Suit: regular swim suit
Course: Rectangular course
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:05 | 11.8 miles | 17.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 48/576
Wind:
Course: A big loop with some rolling and one large hill.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:29
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:20 | 03.1 miles | 07m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/21
Overall: 28/576
Course: A loop with one double back spot. A few hills.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-08 10:08 AM

User image

Subject: Title 9 Women Only Triathlon

2008-09-08 1:53 PM
in reply to: #1657826

Uxbridge
Subject: RE: Title 9 Women Only Triathlon
WTG SVEA!!!!! I knew you would do well at this race from our first workout.I am super impressed with your T times too!!! WHOOP WHOOP!!! Stick with it ...and you'll definately win more valuable prizes!!!
It was so much fun to meet up and have great workouts...that's the good part of triathlon. Lets bike again soon!!!!
2008-09-09 7:52 AM
in reply to: #1657826

Subject: RE: Title 9 Women Only Triathlon
Svea, you rock!  I'd be happy to do practice sessions with you, but your times blow me out of water (and off the bike, and leave me eating dust in the run!).  Awesome job!!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Title 9 Women Only Triathlon Rss Feed