New York Triathlete Association
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 21m 17s
Overall Rank = 132/149
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

Had a bagel and banana at the hotel before leaving for the race, drove the 30 minutes upto the Fairgrounds where the race start is. Went to the bathroom (real toilets) and did one last gear check.
Event warmup:

For those that don't know this race is a 30 miles bike, followed by a 4.5 trail run, a 1.1 mile swim, a 5.5 mile trail run, a 0.5 mi swim, an 8 mile trail run, a 0.5 mi swim, and a 0.7 mile u trail run. You have to carry your run/swim stuff with you on each of the swim and run legs, which makes for some interesting strategy. I stuffed my sneakers in a dry bag and put the bag up the back of my tri top for the swim, then rolled the bag upa dn put it in my pocket of my tri top for the runs. It meant for slow transisions, but dry feet.
Swim
  • 54m 18s
  • 3696 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

The first lake may have been the most pristine piece of water I have swam in my life. You could see everything and it was a perfect 73 degrees, which was refreshing after the 30 mile bike and 4.5 mile run. I swam steady and easy. I started the first swim with my shoe bag tucked half in my shorts and half in the jersey but it popped out, so I stuffed it up my jersey and that worked well. The only problem was it raised my shoulders level a little high and I couldn't rotate my shoulders as deep as norma, but not biggie. Passed about 20 people on the first swim.
2nd swim was also in perfect temp, great water. Pretty clear and very clean. Followed the buoy line on the right (breathing right) the whole way. I though this was the $$ swim so I moved a little faster, but still pretty smooth (I knew I wasn't touching the guy doing 1:05/100). Passed about 8 more people.
3rd swim: felt great to hit the cool water, the afternoon sun was strating to cook a little on the 8 mile run. Not many people left out there but passed 3 more on this swim. The climb out at the end which people had made a big deal out of was very easy, almost like rock steps.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 2h 02m 47s
  • 30 miles
  • 14.66 mile/hr
Comments:

When I left the house they said the tropical storm would hit around 6-8 AM on race day, so I decided to ride my road bike for better handling, climbing, etc. Well it was perfect out, but with the winds I would have liked the aero bars as well as I little more in the legs for the runs, but not real the end of the world.
I took the entire ride very smooth, kept in Z1-Z2. Started in gloves and armwarmers which I shed at the base of the climb.
Lots of people just blowing by me on the bike, but nothing different there.
What would you do differently?:

Ride my tri bike
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 4h 19m 23s
  • 18.2 miles
  • 14m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I did the opposite strategy as Brad by waiting by putting the transitions in my runs, he put his in his swim times).
Run #1: Smooth slow run, walked the one big hill but ran the entire rest non-stop. Nate passed me about 1 mile from the swim but I caught him @ the transition area and passed hime 50 feet into the swim)
Run #2: waited for Nate out of the swim by walking the first hill (approx 1-1.5 mile) he never causght me so I starting running at the top and didn't stop till I hit the next swim (3-3.5 mi). Another slow smooth effort and the prettiest run of the day, had to slow down at the vistas to suck in the view.
Run #3: Ran the first 40 minutes nonstop. The pavement downhill to start this run triggered my left shin splint, but not enough to be real ad. Ran 10 min, walked 5 for the next 3 miles, then walked the enitre last big hill. Jogged down to the final swim
Run #4: Except for about 100 feet I walked this entire beast. Legs were too juiced to even think about running this thing.
What would you do differently?:

Run train during the summer...turns out golfing doesn't help your run fitness.
Post race
Warm down:

None

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training

Event comments:

This is the best and coolest race I have ever done. From the variation of events, to the views, to the perfect water temps, the shaded crushed stone trails, et al. Running 18 miles is so much easier and enjoyable when you get some cool refreshing swims in between. I was planning on it being a training day and that's how it went, just up to plan. The temp was great, the support was wonderful, and just a real cool idea for a triathlon. The meal afterwards is bountiful and excellent, to say the least. The two comments I heard before we started that really rang true were that the race is the antithesis of an ironman and that the prior partcipants didn't want to brag about how great this race is given that other people would all want to come do it. Well both are very true. It is a homegrown grassrotes race (although extremely well run) and doesn't have the big bells and whistles of an IM, not like those are needed. Also, I am now wary to give such rave reviews given that it may make it harder for me to get into in future years...

Last updated: 2008-09-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:54:18 | 3696 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/149
Performance:
Suit: none
Course: 3 swims. 1st swim 1.1 miles: 29:03 (35th) 2nd swim 0.5 miles: 16:07 (18th) 3rd swim 0.5 miles:14:01 (45th)
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:02:47 | 30 miles | 14.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 141/6
Overall: 149/149
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: First 10 miles was flat, with headwind to crosswind. Moved around 20 mph through this stretch. Next 15 was rollers with headwind to crosswind. Was going around 16-18 through here. Last 5 is a 1100 foot vertical in 5 miles. Wasn't as tough as I thought, but I spun up it very easily and slowly 5-8 mph).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:19:23 | 18.2 miles | 14m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/149
Performance: Average
Course: Four runs: all on dirt/crushed rock fireroads. Hardly any mud given the amount of rain the night before, although every path was graded (up or down), so most of it ran off i imagine). Run 1: 57:20 (includes T1 and T2). The rockiest/rootiest of the 3 runs, although still not enough where you have to bob and weave. I big hill before the sight of the lake. Runs along cliff edge looking down at the first swim for the last mile. net +430ft Run 2: 1:20:42 (includes T3 and T4). 1-1.5 uphill, 3-3.5 slight downhill. The prettiest of the runs, also the sunniest of the runs. net -215ft Run 3: 1:52:12 (includes T5 and T6). Ran downhill on pavement for 0.5 mi, then into crushed gravel smooth pathes, past a beautiful waterfall, and then along the gunks climbing routes (where about 100 climbers were out enjoying the day). Last mile is big uphill to .25 mile downhill to 3rd lake. Decent shade the entire time. net -370ft. but ends with a 320ft. climb Run 4: Straight up on pavements, wooden beam steps, concrete steps, and creushed rock paths. 290ft. climb (7.8% avg.grade)
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-08 10:13 AM

User image

Regular
West Hartford
Subject: Survival of the Shawangunks

2008-09-08 10:19 AM
in reply to: #1657842

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Survival of the Shawangunks
Congrats on your day!

I've spent some time in that part of the world and have always wanted to do SoS..Congrats again.
2008-09-08 2:18 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
That is just cool!  I have wanted to do that race for a long time.  i hope to enjoy it like you did some day!
2008-09-08 10:14 PM

User image

Niskayuna, NY
yeaahhh...You did awesome.  It was great seeing you come out of the swim looking refreshed and then going for a walk in the woods!  Great training race!  You guys got great weather and rocked it out in your specialties and were well prepared for the race.  Great job!
2008-09-09 6:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
great job! that was definitely a great race. i'm thinking we can do a few days of camping up there on either side next time.
2008-09-09 7:52 AM

User image

New user

without question the coolest race I have done. I knew when I was going to swim without a wetsuit I would never catch you on the second run, no matter how bad you felt.
so I took my time. that first lake was unbelievably pretty. I think in the end we were a wash on the bike. I ran like 20 minutes faster than you and you were like 50 minutes faster on the swims.

overall nice job, we deserved to finish with the grueling training we have put in.
HA!

2008-09-09 8:51 AM

User image

Elite
Awesome race!  I'm hoping to do it next year.  Grew up 20 minutes from the 'gunks.
2008-09-09 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Congrats on fininshing that beast of a race! Hearing all of you guys rave about the race makes me a bit sad that I didn't do it; but there are plenty years to come! Nice job
2008-09-09 5:30 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Very cool, congrats on your finish!  I hope to do it one day, too! 
2008-09-10 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

This is the best and coolest race I have ever done

My, my...how things changed over the course of a week.  Labor Day wknd had you singing a different tune.

Seriously though, solid race and great RR.  Still don't know how you and Natedog do these things on minimal training.  Impressive.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Survival of the Shawangunks Rss Feed