Dallas Sports University5 Votes - [29.41%]
Tri4Life (lol)0 Votes - [0%]
lifetime1 Votes - [5.88%]

2008-09-08 10:21 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: Favorite DFW race producer?
After reading the comments in the Prairieman thread, it got me wondering about who is everyone's favorite race production company and why?

2008-09-08 10:26 AM
in reply to: #1657870

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: Favorite DFW race producer?
2008-09-08 10:28 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
ok,, I voted for dallas athletes mostly because they are nice little sprints which are fun. But I actually do like Jack's race's. I know my stuff is safe in transition at his events
2008-09-08 10:32 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

I would say that this depends on the criteria and the race length.

For a short fun race, Dallas Sports Univ.  They always have a party type atmosphere but there are usually some organizational glitches that can be overlooked for shorter races.

For a longer race, I would be more concerned with on course support.  Here IronHead rules.  Jack has the organizational aspects of race day down.  Every thing that could happen from a race stand point has been planned out in advance and executed.  Not as much fun afterwards but definitely safe and well executed.

Edited to add - I've done two events with Dallas Sports and volunteered once at an IronHead race.

Edited by KenD 2008-09-08 10:33 AM
2008-09-08 9:33 PM

User image

Pro
Texas
I voted for Ironhead because of their consistency. While DA/DSU has put on some great events(TexasMan '06, Old College Tri '08), they've also had their misses(Disco '07). Ironhead is solid and reliable every time.
2008-09-09 7:58 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
I honestly could not pick my favorite.  They all do a good job IMO.  The only problem with the ironhead races they are not really spector friendly in that the park usually shuts down so you have to be there early and can't leave early.  I know it is a safety thing so I am okay with it especially with my family history at my races.  I DSU had issues last year but Disco was really out of their control.

2008-09-09 8:34 AM
in reply to: #1660638

User image

Pro
Texas
kproudfoot - 2008-09-09 7:58 AM

I honestly could not pick my favorite. They all do a good job IMO. The only problem with the ironhead races they are not really spector friendly in that the park usually shuts down so you have to be there early and can't leave early. I know it is a safety thing so I am okay with it especially with my family history at my races. I DSU had issues last year but Disco was really out of their control.

The swim was out of their control, the lack of aid stations on the oly run was not.
2008-09-09 8:51 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

I would rank them:

1. Ironhead - best run races, hands down. Safety and organization are top notch. Plus getting tech shirts for most of their races, even sprints, is a nice touch.
  2. Playtri - good locations for races, very well organized.
  3. ...
  4. ...
  5. ...
  6. Dallas Athletes/DSU/whatever - Races have themes, which is nice, but they just don't get it. There is no organization, unsafe conditions, crappy swag, and way overpriced. Make a shirt I can actually wear in public for crying out loud. All of them end up as kids pajama shirts or grease rags.
    Disco the last two years has been a screwup. Last year it was them continuing to say they would have a tri when they knew for weeks they wouldn't have a swim. They said, "Oh, but we don't make more money by not having a swim." Sure, but you do make more money if people continue to sign up. Then this year there was the complete mishandling of the results. People getting awards for times they didn't actually have, no sanity checking of the results before announcing them, etc.

2008-09-09 8:58 AM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

I have to agree with Andy.  At Disco this year, I couldn't believe the complete disaster with results.  I knew I was nowhere near getting an award, but many of our BT friends were, so I wanted to stick around and watch; the results were totally screwed up, the announcer didn't have a clue what was going on, etc, etc. 

Not to mention, the shirts DSU give out are complete junk.  Jack's shirts are very nice, Brooks tech shirts.  DSU's shirts look like they were bought in bulk at a flea market. 

2008-09-09 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plano,TX
I voted Ironhead for their consistency but really find it hard to say one is the best as they are all pretty different.

I want to mention that I actively support and race in all of the race producers races. I have raced in each ones races already this year and will race in each one of their races again before the season is over.

I simply know from experience what I will be getting going into each race and adjust my expectations to match. I think people may be happier at the end of the race if they know more what to expect from each of the races. Hopefully this discussion will give some others on the board some insight into the different races in the area.

This is how I see them.

Ironhead:
-Competitors race
-safe, straight-forward, and well supported
-Very consistent, you know exactly what you are getting
-Very very very organized and well run, rarely a hiccup that a racer ever sees
-nice Brooks technical shirts
-not much going on for spectators
-basic food (bagels, water, pizza)
-Ironhead is all about the race and racers

Dallas Athletes/DSU:
-spectators race
-lots of fun and goofing off, themed races, etc.
-entertaining commentary/announcing at times
-not so serious race atmosphere can make easy introduction for newbies
-crappy shirts (cotton and usually cheap, thin, see-through, etc)
-better than usual food afterward (full-breakfast, pancakes, etc)
-less supported, fewer aid stations than other races commonly
-less organized and sometimes issues can arise
-DSU is all about the party and fun atmosphere

Playtri:
-pretty much dead between DSU and Ironhead; not as serious as Ironhead but not quite as fun as DSU
-volunteer support is hit and miss between races
-organization is hit and miss between races (usually pretty good but issues have happened)
-course distance issues have arisen in past, but not regularly
-good food after race (had burgers at Playtri Festival)
-good shirts(cotton t-shirts are better than DSU and sometimes get technical shirts)
-Playtri generally puts on a good race trying to find a balance between a serious race for competitors and fun race for the spectators and after-party

Edited by tajsss 2008-09-09 10:51 AM
2008-09-09 10:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville

I voted DSU but I can see where there are concerns. I used to be a DA member as well so I got to know Tom.They had a bad year last year, but the 2 races I did this year were just fine. I like the entertainment and fun atmosphere. However, I do agree with the crappy t-shirt thing. Mine from Disco is very thin and it doesn't seem like it's going to last very long.

I've only done one other race and that was with ironhead (HIM last weekend). Not a lot of frills but the course was well marked and had plenty of aid stations. I was just not too excited about the run not having any shade, but that's just a preferance thing. I'm not sure I'd do another Ironhead race, but I know I will do more DSU ones. 

I am curious about the run bi tri or playtri races though. I have heard mixed reviews. 

2008-09-09 6:31 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-09-09 8:51 PM

Denver
I have to go DSU here. While I didnt do Disco last year, I did do it thsi year and am doing TX man and I must say that Tom creates a better, more fun atmosphere. I felt like I was at boot camp at Jacks Prairieman Tri. Never again.

Edited by ousooner45 2008-09-09 8:53 PM
2008-09-09 9:39 PM

, Texas

I've raced in all and volunteered for both PlayTri & DA. I don't really have a favorite, but if forced to vote I'd go PlayTri. Here are my experiences/opinions with them:

Ironhead
 - Raced in many and have no complaints about any races
 - Love the Brooks Ts
 - Post race food at Rockwall (done 4 times) is as good as any
 - Price is fair, especially with early reg
 - Too many pool swims and Sprint races

PlayTri
 - Don't overwhelm themselves with a ton of races
 - Have a good mix of races & distances
 - very good volunteer experience
 - Good race experiences, have seen some problems but were open to improvement
 - very good entry fees, especially if you register very early

DSU/DA
 - Very enjoyable races (love the Ray Roberts location)
 - Mediocre volunteer experience. Got an elitism vibe and was treated like a lemming
 - Highest entry fees
 - Can't seem to figure out what "Olympic" means for a triathlon distance

I'll still race them all, but I'm most hesitant to race a DSU run event. I really wish there were more true Oly races around here.

2008-09-10 6:57 AM
in reply to: #1662494

New user

I'm kinda with you, Aaron. Used to work for the DA-turned-DSU conglomerate and have seen the back end of the organization, so I know that makes me a bit biased.

FWIW, I have volunteered for each of the RD's and raced in all but a DA/DSU event. That, plus the fact that I have done races of all sizes and caliber all over the place, makes me feel somewhat qualified to comment here. I love to race and I love a GOOD race!

From an experienced racer's standpoint, I value consistency and a safe, fair race more than themes and silly costumes. Ironhead races may be a bit on the bare-bones side, but you can count on getting exactly what you are promised. Jack is all about providing a consistent, well-organized and safe product and racer's generally get a what they pay for. No flash, no attempt at entertainment, just a solid racer's race.

DA/DSU (who do they think they're fooling?) attracts newbies, DA loyalists and those who think the race looks good on paper. They struggle with execution but seem to feel that the entertainment value makes up for the lack of substance. They have a great venue out a Lake Ray Roberts, but can't seem to execute an event that takes full advantage of it. Kind of a shame.

For sprinters and those that like the themed races, DA/DSU is a decent choice.

PlayTri does a good job.......at least with the big weekend in April. Yes, there have been some glitches, but Ahmed and crew know what a good race looks like and are really trying to make one happen. I predict continued growth for the PlayTri Festival and fell that they deserve it.

So, you going to work for PlayTri? Coaching? Good for you and good luck!

G

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Favorite DFW race producer? Rss Feed