Grand Prairie, Texas
United States
Ironhead Race Productions
Total Time = 3h 18m 49s
Overall Rank = 8/
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/
Pre-race routine:

Always the same. Waffles w/peanut butter and honey, load up and wait on Tri-Z to get her morning act together while we get a text from Murphy that he is pulling out without us. We had friscobob along for the ride this morning too but he didn't have much to offer
Event warmup:

Cheered for Murphy in the Sprint but was yelled at by Jack Weiss for offering encouragement to racers in his race while he was trying to give another pre-race meeting to the HIM and AquaBike crowd. Then swam out 50-75 yards to warm up and got yelled at by another Ironhead volunteer to get back in so we could wait for our wave to go off. These guys put on a good, safe race but they get worked up about many little things and suck the fun out of the day in my opinion.
Swim
  • 39m 10s
  • 2089 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I thought I swam with an efficient effort and my breathing was great the whole way. I was in a really nice rhythmn but was hoping for a better time. Guess if I trained harder in the pool I wouldn't have to hope!
What would you do differently?:

My non swim focus yields this type of time even though my expectations were higher. I felt the best I ever have coming out of the water so there is probably little reason to push harder and waste energy
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

uneventful T1. I felt good after that long of a swim. I've only done that disctance in a race once before and it was in a wetsuit. No wetsuit here and I felt very in control in T1 and running out. I even passed a few people running out of the water and that never happens for me

nothing
Bike
  • 2h 37m
  • 56 miles
  • 21.40 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a good course but I hate 4 loops of anything I think. I prefer some change of scenery but on the other hand it's good to know what's coming so you can try to manage it better than the last time. 2 aid stations/loop was great and made it very easy to stay hydrated the whole way. Mostly a flat course with some gradual up and down. I rode this as a training ride for an upcoming HIM. Kept my HR in check until the last 10-12 miles and finished with a good effort.

Train more and hammer the whole thing since you don't have to run after the bike!
Post race
Warm down:

waited for the group to finish and then stand around being thankful we weren't the ones running today. It was getting hot and as each bike rolled in it was interesting to watch the transitions

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my hurt feelings from Jack yelling at me ;)

Event comments:

WAAAAYYYYY too expensive for an aquabike but otherwise a good day. If you are doing your first HIM and/or looking for crowds cheering and supporting this is not the event for you. Aid stations on bike and run were plentiful and it is well supported from that persepctive plus it's a relatively flat bike and run HIM course

Last updated: 2008-09-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:10 | 2089 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Unitard
Course: Counterclockwise triangle with long straight away parallel to shore before turnig back to the finish
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:29
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:37:00 | 56 miles | 21.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 4 loops around neighborhoods outside the park
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-09-08 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Prairieman Aquabike

2008-09-08 4:29 PM
in reply to: #1658071

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Prairieman Aquabike
Whooa!  Sorry to hold the group up!  If we would have been there a bit earlier you might have gotten yelled at more!  Great race - your bike was super fast!  Way to go!
2008-09-08 8:59 PM

User image

Do you two talk at home or only on public forums???  Communicate hogans, it important to a marriage.

Great job there Hogan.  Extra great job for cheering for me, that's weird.  Your becoming a methodical low effort swimmer/biker.  Very ironmanish.  Should produce   for the run at Longhorn and CDA.  

2008-09-08 10:58 PM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Nice job. The yelling ain't cool.
2008-09-09 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
nice job "young man" seriously...solid swim and bike. you're very speedy.
2008-09-09 11:07 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
nice job out there... it's great not running over that damm

2008-09-09 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great job.  Very nice bike, good pacing and then hammer it at the end . 

I hear ya about sucking the fun out.....

TJ

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Prairieman Aquabike Rss Feed