General Discussion Race Reports! » Square Lake Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Square Lake Triathlon - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Stillwater, Minnesota
United States
Vacation Sports
51F / 11C
Precipitation
Total Time = 7h 30m
Overall Rank = 161/210
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 33/37
Pre-race routine:

The alarm went off at 4:30 and I dragged my sorry butt out of bed to have a couple pieces of toast with peanut butter and honey. I started the coffee and took a quick shower. I was out of the house by 5:30 and got to the race site about 6:40. I got lucky and found a nice spot in the transition area right by the bike out.

I also took a slug of Dayquil and antibiotics to help with the coughing and bronchitis.
Event warmup:

I swam about 150 yards. I was wearing a wetsuit and the water temperature felt great.
Swim
  • 36m 48s
  • 2110 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt really good about the swim. I actually drafted probably 3/4 of the time off a couple of different people. My breathing felt good. My sighting was ok. I felt like I wasn't swimming quite as straight as I normally do, so I had to sight a little more often.

A few time the bronchitis would show up as a coughing fit, but I was able to swim through it.
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on being closer to the person in front of me when I draft. I don't think I'm getting the full benefit of drafting.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

There was a long run up some stairs in the hill to get to the transition area. I wasn't too concerned about my transition time. I just wanted to make sure I didn't forget anything crucial like my nutrition.

I could probably drop a minute off this time if I really worked at it. My time was probably about average for my age group.
Bike
  • 3h 07m 15s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I average ~19.6 mph on the first lap. I was starting to feel it in my hamstrings, so I slowed down a little on my second lap. On quite a few of the longer hills I ended up slowing down to 11-12 mph. I'm ok on hills if I can keep my momentum, but once I get in that grind mode I'm pretty pokey.

A guy had a flat and needed air. He had a tube, but no air. I stopped and dug out a CO2 cylinder and the head. I had to tear off some of the electrical tape that I used to hold on my second tube. He was trying to fill up his tire and he cross threaded the CO2 cylinder and the head. He really cranked it in there. Both of us couldn't get the cylinder out. Anyways, he didn't get any air and if I flatted I wouldn't have any air either. Someone else had to stop and give him some air. I probably lost 5-6 minutes trying to help him out. It was no big deal, it's not like I was going to place or anything.

I need to work on the hills. I was keeping up pretty well on the straight aways, but I would get passed on the up hills. I need some more bike time and to drop some weight.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

I unclipped coming into the transition area, but one of my shoes clipped back in. I almost took a tumble when I got off the bike.
Run
  • 2h 14m 31s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Ouch! That's about all I've got to say. It's tough to run a 1/2 marathon after being on the bike for over 3 hours. Who would've thunk?

I was able to keep running for the 1st half of the race and I was keeping my pace under 10 minute miles. I was thinking I should come in under 6 hrs as long as I take it easy and can keep running. There was a big hill at the turn and my legs started cramping. After that I was run/walking the rest of the race. Honestly, I kind of gave up a little bit, especially when I realized I wasn't going to break 6 hrs.

Here are my splits:
1: 9:20
2: 9:42
3: 8:38
4: 9:32
5: 9:19
6: 9:12
7: 10:09
8: 12:18
9: 12:05
10: 11:01
11: 11:22
12: 10:24
13: 13:04 (1.1 miles)

More long runs and long bike/run bricks to get used to running tired. The longest training run I had 10 miles and there was only one of them. Most of my longer runs were around 6 - 8 miles.

Mostly I just need to HTFU. I wimped out a little bit.
Post race
Warm down:

I did some weak stretches and then laid down in the grass. It felt great not to be running anymore. I walked down and got a hot dog and some trail mix.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to get stronger on the bike and the run. More hills and long runs. I feel pretty good about this for my first HIM. There's definitely room for improvement.

Event comments:

The lake was great for swimming, the bike was good except for the rough patch of road. There were water stops at every mile on the run, and they had gatorade and water at every water stop. It was a little tough for spectators to get into the park when the race was on. My wife said if she went to watch she would just park on the street.

There was no swag at all, not even a T-shirt, but they did let us keep the swim cap.:-) I'm not complaining because I signed up last December when it was 1/2 price for $40. That's a pretty good price for a HIM. I was looking at some other HIM's in the area and they were $130. There were plenty of volunteers and I thought the race was well ran.

Last updated: 2008-01-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:48 | 2110 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/37
Overall: 97/210
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Two laps, clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:20
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:07:15 | 56 miles | 17.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 32/37
Overall: 152/210
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: This was a two lap course. The road was in pretty good shape for most of the course, but there was about 5 miles where the shoulders were pretty tore up. I thought there were quite a few hills on the course, but that might just be me.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:14:31 | 13.1 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/37
Overall: 176/210
Performance: Below average
Course: Rolling hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-08 1:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN
Subject: Square Lake Triathlon - Half Iron Distance

2008-09-08 3:01 PM
in reply to: #1658531

User image

Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: Square Lake Triathlon - Half Iron Distance

Hey Scot - Nice job on your first HIM!!!  Even with the bike thing and cramping on the run your avg times are good.  Nice to have the 1st HIM under your belt.  Great swim!

WTG!

2008-09-10 8:48 AM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

First off, I can't believe you did this with bronchitis!  And you're a good man to help out the guy that flatted.

Congrats on your first HIM!

2008-09-10 9:50 AM
in reply to: #1663566

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Nice race. I agree its a bummer about no swag. My race shirts, especially from the bike races like HIMs, are my favorite training wear.
2008-09-10 6:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois

Great report, Scot! You crack me up. Get closer to get full benefit on the draft. Classic!

Seriously, you talk about wimping out and giving up, but to race that kind of distance while recovering from broncitis is amazing. I can only hope to run a HIM someday. You're well on your way to becoming a professional age grouper, my man! I'm darn proud of you.

Go enjoy a chilled glass of back medicine! You've earned it.

2008-09-12 1:17 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Awesome job!  and a great report

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Square Lake Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed