Triple Sports
106F / 41C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 43s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 4/18
Pre-race routine:

Things were a little different since this was an evening triathlon. We were all mostly just trying to stay cool and hydrated. I did manage to stay much calmer then normal thanks to the cool kids and especially thanks to Astrid!! She was very calming to me and we just chatted the time away! :>D
Event warmup:

No warm up. I couldn't waste any extra energy in the crazy heat!

**THIS WAS A REVERSE SPRINT**
Swim
  • 10m 15s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

If anything I think I relaxed too much on this swim. I was surprised and how easy and fast the swim went. It was tricky passing people but it worked out fine. Not as bad as what I was expecting.
What would you do differently?:

Probably try to push it a little more, especially in the last few lanes.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transitions were not timed. If this is the bike to swim one then I wasted time trying to get my bike shoes off. I was exhausted and should have dialed into what I needed to do instead of hopping around. This is the first tri that I did not sit down though so that is good!

Dial in and get serious. Only 1 minute behind 3rd place Athena and I could have shaved time here. Lesson learned!!
Bike
  • 53m 21s
  • 14 miles
  • 15.75 mile/hr
Comments:

When you get on the bike you turn out of the community center parking lot and then immediately start to climb. I was still baked from the run so my heart rate was really high and I felt sick!! I had to talk myself down and really push up the hill. Finally when we turned to drop down I tucked into the drops and just went weeeeee. The third time I climbed that hill I had just had enough of being in the sun.

I was disappointed with my speed but given the hills and the heat I think I did everything that I could.

Not much to do different here. I just need to keep adding mileage to my bike rides and work on hills when I can.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This would be the run to bike transition. I think I did pretty well here but it was kind of a blur and I don't remember much. I know I changed shoes, swapped my hat for my helmet and was off. It had to be pretty quick.
Run
  • 35m 8s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile 1-9:43.....I can't hear you...la la la la la...ok, clearly too fast. If I had to do it again though I would run it the same. The first mile was shady and maybe even slightly downhill and I needed to take advantage of both.

Mile 2-11:50....this mile was in full sun on the asphalt. It.was.brutal. If I had a list of the top five of my worst miles ever this would be number 2 or 3. My heart rate was sky high, my face was beat red, I was working way too hard just to get to this time. I passed one girl at 1.5 miles that told me she was already done for the day!! The ONLY thing that kept me going was knowing that the bike was coming and that to stop running entirely would just take me even longer.

Mile 3-12:16....I was suffering big time and really wondering what was going to happen! I tried to remind myself that I had to bike and swim and force myself to slow down even more. At the same time though I had my "suck it up" mentality going and wanted to muster through. OY this was really tough!! Finally I noticed that I was running along a line of cones and began to run from one cone to the next. Glory bee it worked and I turned the corner back to the Anthem community center.

Just more running and weight loss!! The heat was a huge factor though!
Post race
Warm down:

Found the cool kids and swapped war stories. Then we checked results and I was thrilled to see myself in 4th for the Athena. I ran over and told Tanya and then a few of the others. I have finished in the top half once before but never this high!! It just really made me happy to feel like some of my hard work paid off. YAY!!

I love our training group from here...they are so supportive, have tons of fun and yet work really hard when they train! We had three that placed in their age group and several others that did really well. I really appreciate all of their support and all of the laughs that we share.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat!!

Event comments:

There were only two restrooms for all of the women pre-race!! The lines were ridiculous!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:15 | 437 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/18
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: **Reverse triathlon so swim was last!** Serpentine swim in a community pool. Up and back in each of 8 lanes.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:53:21 | 14 miles | 15.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/18
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Up and down hill. Not really flat for very long at any one point. We did have a few narrow maneuvers between cones and signs.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:35:08 | 03.1 miles | 11m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/18
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-09-08 4:53 PM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
Subject: Anthem Sprint Triathlon

2008-09-08 5:21 PM
in reply to: #1659237

Pro
AZ
Subject: RE: Anthem Sprint Triathlon
YAY LISA! You did awesome!!!  The heat made it SOO HARD, but you didn't give up and kept plugging away!  You did great!
2008-09-08 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
Tempe, Arizona (hot hot hot)
I think your next you should Podium. If it is cooler and a regular Tri. You did great.
2008-09-08 8:02 PM

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az
You gotta love the tri in the sun, its a great heat workout, now SOMA should be easy..
2008-09-08 8:05 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Just think- you did a tri in the heat of the day, now those am tris will seem easier!

Great job out there, you did great to feel relaxed on the swim- I never do in a reverse tri!

Congrats on a superb race!

2008-09-08 10:55 PM

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
Great job pulling through the run with the help of the cones. I'll try that next time! You did an awesome job in that heat! WTG! Nice to know I kept you calm. I had no energy to get excited or pre-race nervous in that heat.

2008-09-09 6:15 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-09-11 8:37 AM

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
what kind of weird sick race starts in the heat of the day and goes backwards???? you can really swim after all that biking and running???

the run sounds brutal, way to make it through! awesome job on getting 4th. you'll be up there before you know it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Anthem Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed