United States
Ironhead Race Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 09m 55s
Overall Rank = 127/215
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 25/39
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00am, ate oatmeal and granola bar, double checked that I had everything ready for the race. Left for Grand Prairie around 4:50. Drank 24oz bottle of GE on the drive down.
Swim
  • 46m 10s
  • 2111 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Garmin distance (1.3 miles or 2300.51 yards) average based on Gramin 2:01/100 yrds

Standing on the boat ramp looking out at the buoys was very intimidating, even through I have swam farther than 1.2 miles non-stop in the pool several times, it just looked like a really long way.

Once swim started I just concentrated on getting to the next buoy. The sun was in my eyes on the way to the first yellow turn buoy and I really could't see the buoys so I just sighted off the swimmers in front of me until, I rounded the first turn, then with the sun behind us it was much easier to locate the buoys. Kept telling my self just get to the next buoy, this helped mentally since it cut the swim up into more manageable distances. Tried to draft off a few people but I didn't notice a big difference while i was drafting, did feel someone drafting off of me for half of the back side of the loop, I would feel their hands on my feet every once in a while. Kept thinking "If you are drafting off of me you are going to be pretty unhappy with your swim time."

Based on the course distance my swim was 2:13 per hundred yards. But my Garmin had the distance as 2300 yards based on that it drops my time to 2:01 per hundred yards.

When I exited the water and my Garmin started picking up HR I was at 151 which isn't to bad.

I was 26 of 39 in my AG.

Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Wasted a few seconds reseting my Garmin, for some reason it didnt start in Multi Sport mode so had to reset and then change to bike mode to start the bike, had to reset and change modes to run in T2. Other than that things went smoothly, I was racked on the end of the rack and right next to the neon orange Run Out sign painted on the ground so it made finding my rack very easy.

T1 time was 21 of 39

Bike
  • 3h 00m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Garmin distance 56.43 miles with average of 18.8 mph

Tried to be conservative on the bike but still have a decent average. Went out kind of easy on the first loop keeping HR in upper 140s low 150s. After the first loop, I new which areas were I had to be conservative and not push to hard and where the areas were that I could push it (down hill with the wind). I was happy to see that with each loop my average speed was increasing slightly. I was at 18.3 after the first lap, then 18.5 after the 2nd lap, and 18.7 on the 3rd and finally 18.8 after the 4th. I was actually at 18.9 average turning back into the park but dropped back down to 18.8 as I slowed to take my shoes off.

Overall I am pretty happy with my bike split, even if i was 32 of 39 in my AG, felt my nutrition worked out pretty good, took a 3hr mix of Infinit and marked the bottle in 3rds so I new how much should be gone after each hour. Then supplemented with S!caps to make sure that I didn't loose to much salt.

I felt pretty good in T1, wasn't overly tired so think I paced the bike pretty good.

Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

Need to work on faster transitions.

T2 time was 24 of 39
Run
  • 2h 18m 31s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Garmin distance 13.34 miles

I new the run was going to be hard, since my run training has been limited due to a calf injury. I was unable to run for about 3 weeks starting 5 weeks out from the race, so I only had 2 weeks to try to get back some of my run fitness. I haven't run 13 miles since the White Rock Marathon last Dec. My longest run coming into the race was 8 miles or so.

I felt pretty good for the first 5 or so miles, was holding a decent pace in the upper 8's (around 8:40 - 8:50) but after mile 5 or so my lack of run training came into play, and my legs just started to hurt. My heart rate was ok, but my legs just hurt, my muscles just weren't used to going that long. So my pace slowed and I started walking periodically, at first it was just around the aid stations, I would walk to make sure I got water and GE down then start running again, (slow shuffle) My pace slowed to around 10 minute miles, but as time went on it got hotter and my legs got worse so now I was running half way to the aid station walking a little then running the other half, my pace slowed to around 12 minute miles.

I am a little disappointed in my run time, really wanted to finish the run in under 2 hours, but based on AG rankings this was my best event out of the 3.

Hopefully in the next 3 1/2 weeks I can get some good long runs in to be better prepared for the run course at Longhorn.

I was 19 of 39 in AG.
Post race
Warm down:

Wasn't much to do post race, grabbed my finishers shirt, couple bottles of water and headed to my rack to gather my things, head to the car and drive home. Had to make it back to Frisco in time for the kick off of the Cowboy game.

Rewarded myself with an Ultimate Cheese Burger and curly fries from Jack in the Box on the way home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run training.

Last updated: 2008-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:10 | 2111 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/39
Overall: 127/215
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:44
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:00:16 | 56 miles | 18.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 32/39
Overall: 128/215
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:18:31 | 13.1 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/39
Overall: 118/215
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-08 5:54 PM

User image

Regular
Mckinney, TX
Subject: PrairieMan Half Triathlon

2008-09-08 8:23 PM
in reply to: #1659376

Subject: RE: PrairieMan Half Triathlon

nice report

i was out there with ya!!!

this was my fifth year to do this event and i think i am striking it off my list for a while. i thought i could conquer that dam but after five times of getting wasted by that thing, i am rolling on to greener pastures.....

2008-09-09 7:56 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
Great race.  I have to agree with you about looking at the swim course.  Seeing 1.2 miles (or 1.3 in your case) laid out in front of you is intimidating.  The run course is tough no matter how good your fitness is.  I thought I was golden going in last year until I cramped on the bike and was happy to break 7 hours.
2008-09-09 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great job.  I think you raced a smart race.  Conservative, negative split on the bike and had a good run.  You made up a lot of places in your AG on the run.  Looks like many of your AG competitors blew up on the run 'cause they went too hard on the bike.  A little more run training and you would have a sub 6 hour race.  I know what you  mean about the swim course...those bouys look soo far.  Wait until you see any IM course...scary.

TJ

2008-09-09 1:55 PM
in reply to: #1661709

User image

Champion
the colony texas
nice race... it's really nice when you are passing people on the run that have blown up from the bike
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » PrairieMan Half Triathlon Rss Feed