Ironman North America
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 52m 38s
Overall Rank = 1421/2206
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 260/341
Pre-race routine:

Arrive in Madison Friday morning to get things started. I quickly found out that IM is all about standing in lines. Seems like you always have to stand in a line to do everything. There was going to be a group swim at 9:00 and I was running late so Kelly dropped me off at the swim site. Most people were all ready swimming but Tammy was still hanging because she was feeling pretty crappy. She decided to swim with me and we went out to the first turn buoy and back. I felt awesome swimming and was ready to go. Saturday did a short tune-up work-out of everything. Swim didn't feel quite as strong but everything was working well. My parents brought up the kids on Saturday. My brother also came up making it possible for my whole family to be in attendance. This did wonders for my attitude and made the whole event seem better. I can't thank my personal IM sherpa and wondefull wife Kelly for helping out with all the logistics. It had to be a very difficult job and I appreciate what she did more than she could know.
Event warmup:

Got up at 4:00 and started crushing the food. Managed to get in about 900 calories before 4:30. As we were walking down the hall to the truck I had to get in front of Kelly and my brother to keep them from seeing my face. All this training and anticipation had finally caught up with me and I couldn't stop the tears from falling. Just for a little bit, and they were manly tears, in case you were wondering. Kelly dropped me off at the special needs bag drop and I made the drop. Met up with Birkierunner and we talked for awhile as we made our way to bodymarking. Jim is always a great guy to talk to because he stays so calm and relaxed. Got ourselves bodymarked and then waited for them to let us in to our bikes. Finally got in and I had some panic time as I realized there were about 200 pumps to be borrowed and not a single crack pipe. I have HED3's and you need a little adapter called a crack pipe to fill them. Finally found someone who I could borrow from. Used Leapdogs pump and then hung out with him while waiting. Finally decided it was time to suit up and make the March of the Penguins walk down to the water. Saw various BT'ers along the way but at this point I was a little too out of it to really remember who I saw.
Swim
  • 1h 12m 57s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a tough swim. After my swim on Friday I figured I would have a sub 1:10 easily. Started about 6-8 rows back and waited for the cannon. My sightin was really good, maybe that was the problem. I was swimming perfectly at the bouys and getting my ass kicked. The first turn is about 800 yards away and that is where the real chaos starts. Ever watch an animal planet documentary where all the wilderbeasts are trying to climb the steep river bank as the crocs are picking them off? That's nothing compared to an IM turn. Just got through it and I took the first of the hard shots to the face. Hit me square on in the goggle and I really thought it broke the lense. Saw stars on that one. Had to pull away from the crowd to get everything situated. I was never able to find clear water the entire 1st loop. By the 2nd loop it seamed I had a little clearing and started to feel like I had a pretty good stroke again. Bam! Another right hook square to the head. This one about put me out for awhile. I had to stop and get my wits about me after that one. Finally gor going again and was once again swimming well through the final 2nd lap. After making my last turn I was heading in the last 150 yards or so and there was a guy doing the freakin breast stroke. This guy was a great breast stroker because he was going as fast as I was freestyle. You know how you know a good breast stroker? They have a massive and wide kick. He hit me in the chest so hard on a kick I completely had the air knocked out of me. This was about 100 yards from shore. Came out of the water with a decent time but could have easily knocked 3-4 minutes off it.
What would you do differently?:

Avoid getting hit:) Not swim so close to the buoy line next time.
Transition 1
  • 13m 14s
Comments:

This is a really long transition area. Still no excuse to go this slow. I was not feeling very good at this point. I had swallowed a lot of water from the beatings I had taken and things just wern't right with my stomache. Plus I couldn't decide on weather or not to wear arm warmers. Volunteers were awesome here as well as everywhere else.

Not sure. I needed the time to gather my composure.
Bike
  • 6h 28m 6s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.32 mile/hr
Comments:

Stomach started acting up before I even hit mile 1 on the bike. Thought I had just swallowed too much water and it would go away. It never did. Everything I ate or drank sat in my gut like a big rock. I had a massive gut ache the entire ride. I have always heard you will hit low places during an IM and you just need to work through them. I must have hit a low 20 times on this bike. I felt so crappy. Met up with Leapdog at about mile 10 and we switched lead bike back and forth several times until he passed me for good around mile 45 or so at the start of the hills. He helped my attitude a lot. Plus I kept thinking of what Mike Reilly said about the race. His main bit of advice was there are so many things in IM beyond your control.. You have complete control of your attitude. Stay in control of that and you will be fine. Everytime my mind started to drift off to a bad place I just refocussed and was able to push on. Crossed paths with Tammy somewhere on the loops and she was looking great. Saw my entire support team of Kelly, Aly, Nik, Kevin, Mom and Dad at the top of the 2nd big hill and that gave me a huge boost.I lost one of my major weapons around mile 40. My weight. I can absolutely fly down those long winding hills. I mean freakin fly. Coming down the 2nd hill of the 3 main hills I almost crashed. I have no idea how I held on. I was going about 38 mph and my wheel started wobbling really, really bad. I pulled it slowly to the left to try and get away from others and hopefully find a soft spot to land. As I was feathering my brkes and making my body like a parachute I someone saved the inevitable crash. Figured I had a flat or something broke on my front wheel. Nothing. Just had a weird cross wind that interacted badly with my HED 3's. This scared me so much I rode my brakes down the rest of the hills. I never went over 28 again. These are the same hills I was hitting high 40's on during training. All that sacrificed speed. Wind really started to pick up on the 2nd loop and made for some tough riding going into Mount Horeb. Started getting dizzy around mile 80 and knew I had to start force feeding or I would drop. Started cramming down bananna halfs at the last few stops. Stomach paid dearly but at least I could focus a little more. Going up the Helix at the end was horrible. My stomach was all ready gone and now I was spinning in circles. Please let me vomit.

Don't know. Never had those problems in training. As horrible as I felt though I am not all that dissapointed in bike time. I had hoped for closer to 6 hours but may have put myself in more trouble by pushing for that time. This was actually a decent ride. Hit the hills without having to get out of the saddle.
Transition 2
  • 09m 38s
Comments:

This was another long transition time. At this point I really was feeling sorry for myself and was in a bad place. Then Mike (Oipaloi) came in and sat next to me. He was looking great and was fired up. He gave me a great little pep talk that turned my attitude and got my ass out the door. Mike can never know how much he really helped me. I got out the door moving and told him I would see him soon.

Nothing
Run
  • 5h 48m 45s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I actually started to feel a little better when I started the run. I was hitting about 9 minute miles and knew I had to slow down. Was able to get things under control and start laying down 10 minute miles. Mike passed me back about mile 1.5 or so and I wished him luck. Around mile 5 or so things started going bad again-quickly. My legs were great, my heart rate was great, I just couldn't eat or drink without major gut distress. I would blast a fart to awken the dead and feel good for about 30 seconds and then back to the pain. Finally gave up running around mile 8. It just hurt too much to be jostling around. Saw JoeR several times on the course and he really helped me out. He was spectating this year but dominated this course last year. He and a friend really gave me a boost everytime I saw them. I caught up with Mike around mile 5 and he was struggling his stomache wasn't doing him any favors. You'll have to read his report to get the story but it wasn't good. I saw Birkie walking at one point also and knew things weren't going well for him. Saw Rob fly by and knew he was having a great day. I saw Kelly and my brother Kevin at the 6.5 mile turn around. Seeing them really halped my attitude. I was still running some at this point and just gave them a thumbs up. By the half way point I had long given up running. I had walked the last 5 miles and knew I could walk in a respectable finish. I had seen too many people push hard and end up riding the ambulance. The fans are so incredible on this course I started to tear up a few times. Your race bib has your name on it and I must have had a thousand people scream my name wishing me luck and urging me on. These people are so genuimely concerned and happy for you it is impossible to explain how much it helps. Seeing Kelly and Kevin at the half way point I knew I would finish. I was hurting really bad but knew what they had done to come support me and started thinking about all the others who have inspred me along the way. I also thought of the others who really wanted to do this race but didn't get the chance. Finally I thought of Kelly's brother Todd who passed away a month ago. I knew quitting at this point was just not an option. Did some calculations and told Kelly to expect me around 9:15 but probably closer to 9:30. Then I did the first smart thing of the day. I took off my fuel belt and handed it to her. I couldn't hack the Infinit or the gels anyway. Just taking the pressure of the belt off my stomache started to halp some. Off I went walking my merry little way. I was walking a pretty solid 15 minute miles. As I walked through Camp Randall on the 2nd loop I started feeling a little better. I had tried to eat anything up to this point. Oranges, grapes, pretzals, broth, cola. If they had it I tried it. Nothing would go down without intense gut pains. Finally I was getting really woozy and tried Gatorade as a last resort. Gatorade has always tore me up and I avoid it at all costs. It went down and I started feeling better within minutes. Holy crap! When's the next aid station. Hit it again about mile 18 with the same result. All of a sudden I realized I could start running some down hills again. Forced myself not to rush into it. I just didn't want to put myself back into the bad place. I saw Mikes wife Karen at some point and she gave me the bad news that Mike had to drop out because of really bad problems. It broke my heart to know the guy who really helped me get going would not be finishing his 2nd IM. Hitting the turn around at State street on mile 19.5 I knew I wanted to run. I promised myself to wait until mile 20. Talked to Monty (Montezuma) at about this point and he was struggling also. We walked for a little while together and then I started to run. I could only go 5 minutes or so at a time but I was running. I basically walked 5 ran 5 the rest of the way in. I could have gutted it out and went the rest of the way in on a run, but what was the point? I could save 15 minutes by running but I would put myself in jeapordy of not attaining my first goal- finish with a smile. As I saw the lights at the Capitol and heard Mike Reilly's voice booming I knew I was about to become an Ironman. At this point I couldn't slow down. I knew my whole family would be there and I wanted to give them a chance to see me but I just COULD NOT slow down. I sprinted through the finish line all by myself and gave the crowd a couple of fist pumps. As I heard Mike Reilly say those famous words "Bryan Logue from New Prague Minnesota... You are An Ironman" I knew I would be back. I saw Kelly right away and then found Nik, Aly and my parents. As I came through the finishers shoot an old friend I haven't seen in years was my "catcher" Then a new friend AmyJo asked her if she could take over. I told Becqi I would get in touch with her and gladly went with AmyJo. She brought me through everything and got me on my way. Thank you AmyJo, next year is your turn. Met up with friend, training buddy and 2x Ironman Leapdog right after and talked to him for awhile. Started to rain pretty hard so we packed up the family and headed back to the hotel.

Nothing. I did what my body allowed and had a good race. I was a little dissapointe at first and then realized I put up a good time and have a lot to be proud of. I learned a lot about myself yesterday and realized I am able to push through some pretty tough times when needed.
Post race
Warm down:

AmyJo walked me for awhile and then Kelly took over and walked me for awhile. Got some food and hit the road. After drinking probably 3 gallons of Gatoraid on the run my body just would not shut down. Laid awake until about 3:30 and finally caught an hour or so of sleep.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Do I really have to say it?

Event comments:

What can I say? NASports puts on a world class event. Everything from the fans to the volunteers to the setting is top notch. I will do this race again next year. As the pain fades the memories become better and better. BT'ers are some of the greatest people around. See you all next year.

Last updated: 2007-09-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:12:57 | 3862 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 145/341
Overall: 821/2206
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full sleave suit
Course: The course is a big square double loop.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 13:14
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:28:06 | 112 miles | 17.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 217/341
Overall: 1074/2206
Averaged a 151 heart rate the entire ride. z2 is 150 so I'm happy with this.
Wind: Some
Course: 16 mile stick followed by a 40 mile loop done twice.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 09:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:48:45 | 26.2 miles | 13m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 292/341
Overall: 1726/2206
Course: How can you even start to describe this course? Wet spaggheti noodles thrown on a plate?
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-08 9:39 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2008-09-08 9:48 PM
in reply to: #1660130

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
Brian, the bottom line is you're a freaking stud. You smoked 14 hours with GI upset issues and a hellish marathon!!!! Nice job man.
2008-09-08 9:48 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

We can try it next year together!!!!

Nice job out there. It was a beautiful day to BE AN IRONMAN! 

2008-09-08 10:44 PM
in reply to: #1660143

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Whoa Dude!  You did awesome!  I am really impressed.  You embraced your training plan with tenacity the last several months and pulled off a great race, despite the adversity.  You should be proud and not disappointed.  Congrats.
2008-09-08 11:17 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Congratulations, Ironman!  Way to stick through all the GI issues and getting beat up on the swim. 
2008-09-09 8:03 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Congrats to you IRONMAN. Tough to beat the feeling of crossing that finish line. Great to see you before, during and after. I look forward to training with you next summer on your quest for #2.

2008-09-09 8:05 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Great race and report!  It was fun to watch your training this season in prep for this beast.  You conquered it and now are an IRONMAN!!!!  congrats!
2008-09-09 8:19 AM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Holycrap, man. Way to tough it out! The "oof-das" kept pouring out of me while reading your report. What a race.

Congratulations.
2008-09-09 8:28 AM

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI

I'm sure the $100 for winning the finishing time pool will  help ease the post race pain

Great race and great meeing you and your wife this weekend. I looke forward to seeing you both next year!

2008-09-09 8:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa

congrats ironman, you did it! your report made me cry manly tears.  

2008-09-09 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

^^^^^ me too! Smile 

Congratulations Ironman!  Excellent reading your report and how you stuck it out through the run.  Loved how you started running again towards the end.  Awesome!

Edited by willie05 2008-09-09 8:34 AM

2008-09-09 8:48 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Yay Ironman! Congratulations on a great race!
2008-09-09 8:50 AM
in reply to: #1660743

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
Great report, Bryan! I'm so glad you were able to finish and meet your goal - and turned in a good time with such a tough marathon and swim, to boot!  Congratulations!
2008-09-09 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI
Great report, awesome race. I don't know what else to say...you are so freakin' tough mentally...just WOW!!!
2008-09-09 9:44 AM

Regular
TwinCities, MN

way to go! Did you sign for next year?

2008-09-09 10:05 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

You broke 14 hours!!!  THAT'S FANTASTIC!!!

You always had such a bright, encouraging smile, Bryan!  You whipped up the course and did EXTREMELY well!

How did it feel hearing Mike on microphone when he said those words?

Did you get your chest checked out after getting kicked?  Just want to make sure that nothing was torn or injured worse than just a loss of wind.

Way to go, IRONMAN!!!

2008-09-09 10:12 AM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Great race report and what an awesome race you had! It was my pleasure catching you at the finish line!!
2008-09-09 10:18 AM

User image

Elite

I don't know what to say.  Congratulations isn't a big enough word.  You are an amazing athlete and person.  You stuck to you training like no one I've ever followed.  You overcame sickness and struggled through a tough day to finish your first Ironman in sub-14 hours.  Simply amazing!

You are well deserving of the title of Ironman.

Thank you also for the support and encouragement throughout my race.  A finish wasn't to be had for me, but it was nice knowing that you did so well.

Congratulations Bryan.  You ARE an Ironman!

2008-09-09 11:30 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
Congrats, Ironman! Way to adjust throughout the race. You had a great time despite the GI issues.
2008-09-09 11:37 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
I love a race report that makes me eyes swell with tears.  Great job hammering it all out.  Amazing to me that the thing that always made you feel terrible actually helped you.  Must have been the water to powder ratio.  The support of loved ones and new found friends is priceless.  Way to go Ironman.  OH, and were you the one with the pig on your tri top?  I saw you on the run out.
2008-09-09 12:24 PM

User image

Elite
I completely forgot to mention my Divine Swine racing jersie.  I had so many comments from so many people about it.  People really seamed to get a kick out of an Ironman participant with a big pig on his front and back.

2008-09-09 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
How can you not like a race report that talks about farts loud enough to wake the dead!?!

Great job!
2008-09-09 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1661438

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
mndiver - 2008-09-09 12:24 PM

I completely forgot to mention my Divine Swine racing jersie.  I had so many comments from so many people about it.  People really seamed to get a kick out of an Ironman participant with a big pig on his front and back.

That jersey is the reason why I know I saw you on the run. I don't remember talking to you Brian, but I remember that piggy!!!
2008-09-09 12:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
nice going brian... way to stick it out on the run...  all that training paid off... your reports are always so entertaining to read
2008-09-09 2:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO

great report to read. you even had me tearing up a little bit. but they were manly tears too.

CONGRATS! can't wait to see you do it again! next year you'll be sub 13, no doubt

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed  

of 2