Sunny
Total Time = 2h 10m 11s
Overall Rank = 26/126
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/34
Pre-race routine:

Had toast with butter for breakfast.
Event warmup:

Ran about 1-2 miles at a 10 minute pace.
Run
  • 15m 45s
  • 2.1 miles
  • 07m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I would have liked the swim. I will say it again, the decision to cancel the swim was premature(they canceled it on Friday) The water was perfect for a tri, little current, flat as a pancake.

Since the swim was modified to a run, I was not sure what to do. I didn't know how fast i should run so i just set a goal to stay with the top 3rd of runners that i left with, and was able to do that successfully. The one thing I had to note is that i was speeding up after each lap which was good, i have have been having issues starting off way to fast. This is good in that I want to approach my upcoming Marathon in the same fashion.

What would you do differently?:

Have a swim!!!!!!!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Think i could have been fast here. Was pretty slow.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 23s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 23.52 mile/hr
Comments:

It took be almost 2 miles to get to my speed. I was shooting for a 24 average but was hovering at 23 most of the time. I was not really able to get it up the extra notch. I wanted to break an hour, maybe next time. Around mile 8 i caught the 3rd or 4th (not sure which one) place finisher in my group. i passed him. He then passed me around mile 9, i let the required length take over after the pass until i proceeded to pass him again (he slowed down after his pass) Well he drafted me the entire rest of the race, which pissed me off, he was 2.5 to 3 bike lengths off of me. Needless to say he wouldn't have had such a great bike without my help. So please play by the rules when you are out there, you are only cheating yourself.

I think maybe going at an easier gear to start, i was over anxious at the start and was getting down on myself for not getting up to speed quick enough. Have to remind myself that the disk is not an easy thing to do that with.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Well when you come to transition and only see 8 or 9 bikes in the entire transition you have to move fast. (that is such a good feeling, i never thought i could be there, this is coming from a person who thought 18 was the maximum speed i would ever hit just 3 years ago)
Run
  • 49m 11s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Man was I not ready. I lost 3 spots in the run. I was hurting from the beginning, needed my water bottle with Gatorade to start run, that would have helped greatly i think. 3 miles in my legs started to cramp and i slowed. I drank a lot of water from then on. I had to stop and stretch at mile 3 and 4 water station. After mile 4 station i said no more stopping go through the pain (my hamstring was in agony) and don't lose your spot. I finally got moving to a slightly higher pace and passed the woman who passed me at mile 1. I managed to hold off all other age groupers to the finish.

I will bring a Gatorade and water bottle to transition and drink one or both and bring one on the run, so i may fill it up at water stops. I think the leg pain was dehydration although hamstring is still sore today. (as i write this two days later)
Post race
Warm down:

I had to sit i just was so hot and tired, thank god someone had a tent and i sat on a chair they said i could use for 5 minutes. Then I age all the good eats they had out, I actually drank to Coca Cola's as well, first time in years.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The second run was difficult, i think the first run was what limited me in the second. not really sure.

Event comments:

Only bad item was that they did not have energy drinks at earlier water station on run. I would have liked to of had a water station a little earlier. I will be doing this race next year!!!!!!!!!

Last updated: 2008-08-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:45 | 02.1 miles | 07m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/126
Performance:
Course: The swim was canceled so we do a circular loop 3 times. Not sure of distance, but it was between 1.7 and 2 miles.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:03:23 | 24.85 miles | 23.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/34
Overall: 8/126
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Very good until miles 11-13 or so where we turned left close to the turnaround. Road was a little on the rough side and had to watch for potholes especially here because on the down hills you were going 28+
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:11 | 06.21 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/34
Overall: 0/126
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back, no shade, pavement was not the best but not worst.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-09 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: Patriot International Distance

2008-09-09 8:18 AM
in reply to: #1660667

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Patriot International Distance
Nice job and congratulations on the race!

It's nice to hear how much you've improved - from 18 to 23 mph... and how exciting to come into transition with only a couple bikes there!

WHOO WHOO!
2008-09-11 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
You rocked it out on that run & bike! I am totally going to follow your lead from last year & get fast, fast, fast this offseason!! I wanna see those empty bike racks too!!!
2008-09-11 9:29 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Wow, you really rocked this one!  

Fantastic improvement on the bike--hope to do more of that myself  

I was disappointed about the loss of swim too, but the RD said it was heavily contaminated and that's 800 athletes lives in some seriously icky water if it was as bad as was said. 

2008-09-12 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Congrats on such a great race! Smokin bike.  I'd love to come into transition and still have bike left. I'm to old and toooo slow. I agree that they could have done the swim. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot International Distance Rss Feed