Ironman North America
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 28m 5s
Overall Rank = 1265/2206
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 118/206
Pre-race routine:

I arrived in Madison in the evening on Thursday. I stayed at the Concourse for one night, then would transfer to the Sheraton on Friday. Man, that Concourse is a nice place to stay, and is walking distance to all the IM stuff. I'd highly recommend staying there.

I did a short swim on Friday AM with all the other IM fishies and rested from there till Sunday.

Friday, I registered and started putting together my goodie bags. Friday evening I attended the orientation dinner and headed for the Sheraton to meet my lovely bride.

Saturday I setup my bike and put the final touches on all my bags and headed off to drop the bike and bags prior to the 3pm cutoff. Lots of sitting around after that.

Sunday AM. Up at 4am feeding. Put together my race day food and dry clothes bag. I hitched a ride to Monona Terrace and got ready to fret till the start. I slept pretty good in about 4, 2 hr stints.
Event warmup:

No real warmup. Sat around chatting with others, including Bryan (MNdiver) till me and my 2200 buddies penguin marched to the water.
Swim
  • 1h 17m
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I headed out to the red corner buoy and stayed back a bit while I treaded water for 20 mins. When the cannon went off I headed inside and hoped for the best. I'm a right side breather, so every time I came close to folks, I beared left and stayed in clear water. Once I hit the corner buoy, I swam aggressively to it, and just ducked under it, by lifting it up out of the water like a big beach ball. I cut 2+ mins off my swim time, and didn't get beat up AT ALL. I think by taking a more aggressive approach, I didn't take a lot of punches and kicks like last year. I wasn't fast, but it sure was easy on me.

What would you do differently?:

Be a little more congenial. Sorry again to all that I ran over and/or groped. Please forgive me.
Transition 1
  • 09m 45s
Comments:

I nabbed my bag and got set up on my own. The dressing room was full, so I didn't get anyone to help me, till I went to leave. A nice volunteer bagged all my swimming clothes and I was on my way.

I donned my dry tri shorts for the bike and I headed out the door. I stopped to get some suncreen and a volunteer asked where I wanted it. I said "anywhere" and realized that with my arm warmers and bike jersey there wasn't alot to be covered. Got a quick slather of sunscreen on the back of my neck and I was on my way. I had a loooong run - about 2 blocks in my socks, put my shoes on and scooted to the mount like and down the helix I went.

I shaved about 2 mins off my T1 time from last yr.

Not alot. Prolly be more specific about where I wanted sunscreen. I had an up front rack this year so I didn't have to carry my shoes while pushing my bike. Loved it.
Bike
  • 6h 20m
  • 112 miles
  • 17.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Plan was to go with power numbers this year. I was to average no more than 165 (actual 154) and try to not exceed 300 watts on the big hills (yea right).

Weather was terrific for biking and found I didn't need my arm warmers at all. I passed a few friend on the first lap, including by buddy Bryan (MNdiver - fast swimmer) around mile 25, and Anne Hed (HED wheels) at mile 43. I took it VERY easy this year and consumed solids as well as liquids. I stopped for my special needs bag as well as peed a couple times. I felt really good the whole ride and kept telling myself the event STARTS at mile 90 of the bike.

I rolled through lap two of the loop and knew I'd have a tailwind on the way home. Heading home was effortless and I was feeling great until....about mile 100 where I felt a little odd. I hydrated some and fed a little more but felt like I didn't have good balance. Not sure what it was, but that odd feeling went away when I got up the helix and only my feet again.

Highlights: I went another year without missing a water bottle. Bike crash at a water stop right in front of me. Going up the hills and passing people while they were standing and I was sitting while pedaling.

Not sure. Prolly fuel a little more.
Transition 2
  • 07m 25s
Comments:

I shed my biking clothes and hopped into my running attire. Got some help from a volunteer, which was nice. I headed out and got slathered with sunscreen and hit the biffy before heading to do the 26.2.

Shaved a minute or two off last year.

Not alot. Everything went pretty smoothly.
Run
  • 5h 35m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Boy, where should I start. The good news is that I ran pretty well for the first 4 miles and things declined from there. I just couldn't seem to find the right combo to get my guts settled down. So much of IM is figuring out what works, and I just don't seem to have the combo. I don't feel pukey, but don't feel great either.

I ran walked the bulk of the last 20+. I met alot of folks along the way and chatted about life and how IM fits into the grand scheme of things. Everything was put into perspective when I walked with a guy at mile 24+ and commented that we only had 2+ miles to go so hang in there. He looks at me and says "I wish, I'm on my first lap". I realized then that my day could have been alot longer.

I stopped at my special needs bag this year and I had my honey put a little something in there for me. A volunteer found my bag and helped me look through it. I found my card, opened it and read it. Linda had put a nice note in there about how proud she was of me. She'd also included a picture of me and my pup Jasper. I heard the volunteer say "awww, that's nice" and I looked up at her as the tears ran down my face. I grabbed a long sleeve shirt as I thought it may get chilly on the 2nd lap and headed on my way.

I managed to run the last 1/2 mile or so, overtaking many folks, including a 70 year old guy that passed me about mile 23. I hope I can be half as tough as him when I'm his age.

I was really hoping that the euphoric feeling I had when I finshined my first IM was going to arrive, but sadly it never got it. I was really glad to be done with this event.

Not sure. In the grand scheme this is my worst facet. I've got to get my gut probs figured out or switch to shorter events.
Post race
Warm down:

My finish line catcher was terrific! He helped me along to get my photo taken as well as get some broth/coke into me. I met up with some IM mates for some post race photos and ambled over to the food tent for some pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Gut probs on the run.

Event comments:

I didn't sign up for 09. Linda and I had a nice chat about it, so I've decided to do some shorter distance stuff (<70.3) that has less impact on our home life next year.

It was really good to see my BT buddies on site and I'm really happy to see the MN contingent do well. Congrats to Rabka, MnDiver, Goalie, and MNBrian. Sorry to see Birkie suffer, but good to chat with him.

An IM weekend is quite the event. I'd highly recommend it.

Last updated: 2008-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:00 | 4224 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 102/206
Overall: 1193/2206
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless QR
Course: Two loops of a rectangle.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:45
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:20:00 | 112 miles | 17.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 90/206
Overall: 937/2206
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:35:00 | 26.2 miles | 12m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 148/206
Overall: 1581/2206
Performance: Bad
Course: Two out and backs in Madison.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-09 4:07 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2008-09-09 4:17 PM
in reply to: #1662182

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
Jeff,

Did you by chance ever work for Born? If so, then I think you know my wife.

Anyway, congrats on the race!

2008-09-09 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
Jeff,

I wish I would have seen you on the run. You and Brian left me in the dust from the cannon through the bike, and I was trying to look for you guys on the run, but I only saw Brian. It sounds like you had a tough time of it on the run. You may not have beat your time from last year, but you came in under 14 hours while walking a lot, and that kicks .

It's understandable that you didn't have the euphoric feelings of your first IM at the end of this one, and your race report reinforces a lot of feelings I am going to have to face before I decide to go 140.6 again. I don't know mentally how I would deal with having a previous time out there to beat. In a lot of ways, I think doing it again would be a lot harder than the first was.

Oh, I didn't sign up for '09 either, but next summer we're going to have to get a group together and do one of the long-rides with Brian while he trains.

CONGRATS!!!!! You=IMx2

2008-09-09 4:48 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Great job, leapdog.

YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!

2008-09-09 5:25 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Nice stuff out there.  Yeesh... all these RRs are making me cry.

Wish I would have gotten to meet you.

2008-09-09 6:45 PM

User image

Elite
Great job Jeff.  #1 it takes a real man to admit he cried. #2 You need to teach me how to hit those corner buoys.  Nice job my friend.  It was a pleasure training with you this year.

2008-09-09 7:01 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Awesome job Jeff!  I cried when I finished my IM.  Congrats, Ironman!
2008-09-09 8:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, Kansas
Good job
2008-09-10 8:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Broomfield, Colorado
Nice job on your race. It's too bad you didn't enjoy the finish as much as the first, but that's probably normal. It's still a wonderful accomplishment.

It was good to see you down there - enjoy a bit of relaxation and recovery, and enjoy your season of shorter races and lower training volume! I'm sure I'll see you around.
2008-09-10 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
nice going jeff.... too bad I didn't see you on the run or bike...  i was stranded on the bike for a bit.. perhaps you might have seen me then.. mile 33.   Hope to see you on the races next year...  IM squared... way to go!!
2008-09-11 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Great job and congratulations!!

2008-09-11 1:00 PM

User image

Expert