Queen City Marathon
3C / 37F
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 58m 17s
Overall Rank = 206/449
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/30
Pre-race routine:

Carb-load at Luiggi's the night before and fell asleep in the Hotel room at 7:30 p.m. I woke at 4:00 a.m., had a Vector Bar, and lounged in bed until 6:00 a.m. Had a muffin and a peppermint tea at Tim's at 6:45 a.m.
Event warmup:

It was pretty brisk that morning (2 degrees C). Said 'hi' to a couple of people I knew. A couple port-o-potty pit stops. Joint ROM's for whole body and a left hip flexor stretch.
Run
  • 3h 58m 17s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I was very uncomfortable for the first half, which is unusual. My pot-o-potty stops didn't include number "2," and my guts were full. My bowels didn't cooperate on the run, so I went to the bathroom a couple of times just to relieve the bladder for a bit of comfort. Fortunately, I became a bit more comfortable on the second half of the run.

I used 10 and 1s for the second half and kept up with the 10 and 1, 4-hour pace bunny. He was very good at his job, and motivated us well during the end. I really had to dig deep at the 39K mark to get my goal of under 4:00.

My nutrition was pretty good. I used the Eatmore Bar option that I learned about from people who participated in IMC this year.
What would you do differently?:

Train more speed work. Continue to have one long run and one semi-long run every week.
Post race
Warm down:

First I thanked the pace bunny after getting my medal.

I would have liked to take my normal cold shower to bring inflammation down, but I was waiting for my husband to finish his first every marathon. He had been hoping for a 4:30, but got a 5:50 time. My friends from Regina brought their beautiful English Mastiffs (Rocky and Bo) and themselves to keep me company while I waited for Trevor. Rocky and Bo got a lot of positive attention, so I'm inclined to think that marathoners are "dog people." :)

One of my friends held up my post-race blanket over her car, so that I could change clothes, as my lips were turning blue from being in damp clothes.

After a quick shower at the hotel, my husband and I hit a sports bar to watch the Saskatchewan Roughriders win the Banjo Bowl!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Carrying too much weight (in muscle and fat), and not enough quality training.

Event comments:

This was my 3rd kick at this can, and I was surprised that I finished. The first time I tried to run this race I got a DNS because I got bronchitis the week before the race. The second time I ran it, but got a DNF because of GI cramps due to dehydration or hyponatremia. This time I wasn't sure I was going to finish again because I felt like I hadn't prepared well enough and because I was so uncomfortable at the beginning of the race. This finish felt fantastic. I would like to qualify for Boston some day, so I'm on track for my plan.

Last updated: 2008-06-20 12:00 AM
Running
03:58:17 | 26.2 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/30
Overall: 206/449
Performance: Good
Didn't take my heart rate monitor, but my Garmin picked up on a friend's heart rate.
Course: A very flat course. We started in the opposite direction as the previous year. I started way up at the front. The aid stations were fun like last year. I like the course because a lot of it is in park land.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-09 6:55 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Queen City Marathon

2008-09-09 9:27 PM
in reply to: #1662551

User image

Subject: RE: Queen City Marathon
Congrats on completing your race! Good job inspite of GI issues.
2008-09-10 7:11 AM
in reply to: #1662551

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: Queen City Marathon
Good race.   I didn't know that was Reginas  nickname.  The Queen City.  Cool.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Queen City Marathon Rss Feed