www.setupevents.com
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 53m 10s
Overall Rank = 57/89
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

First I must say that it is soooo nice to have such a great race weekend just a few miles from the house. I would have gotten to sleep in a bit later than usual, but the nerves had me up at 5:15. Got up and had a bowl of oatmeal and coffee with hubby, then drove over to JAmestown. They had to make packet pick-up in the morning because of TS Hanna. Got there early since they had both Sprint and OLY on the same day. Hung out with all the CAT members, met up with Judi and just tried to calm the nerves.
Event warmup:

I usually don't do any warm up because they alway have my AG late. Seems like waste of energy, so I stretched out the legs a bit.
Run
  • 21m 33s
  • 2.1 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off in the back of the pack because I knew I would be slow and wanted to save the legs. Was great to be able to have so many people cheering you on with each loop. Thanks Chris and Josh for pushing me on the last lap.:)
What would you do differently?:

Not be so conservative, it's a race for god sake!!! I could probably fast walk faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

I was a bit surprised how fast I was. I felt like I was going in slow motion. Got the running shoes off quick and into the bike shoes fast.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 19m 55s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.66 mile/hr
Comments:

Left on the bike trying to chase Madeline down. This is my favorite part of the race. I passed a few people on the way out. After the turn around Maddy passed me? Good thing I didn't know she was behind me or I would have been a bit slower.;) Made a decision to let her go and not chase her, I had 6 miles to run and wanted to save the legs.

Not to sure if I could have pushed any harder. This was my first OLY, and slacking on the training this summer, I wasn't sure if I'd have enough in the tank for the run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

Coming into transition I wanted to be quick so I could catch Maddy. Made a quick shoe change because I had to pee. Said to myself (which I thought was quite)I had to stop at the potty. Heard behind me "thank God", turn around and it was Maddy. We both stopped and thank goodness. I don't think it would have been a very comfortable run.;)

Maybe pee on the bike so I wouldn't have to stop. Wait, that is gross, and I couldn't relax enough. Plus for me, really would make much difference because I'm so slow.:)
Run
  • 1h 07m 44s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I really didn't hold out to much hope for this run. My training over the summer was severly lacking. My longest run over the summer was 5 miles. So I had made a commitment to at least run to the turn around. I did walk through the water stops because I'm not very good at drinking and running:) Maddy and I started the run together and chatted a bit about how hard this was and how hot it was. Then she pulled ahead of me and I didn't chase her. Was really surprised when Kevin drove past me on the parkway and saw Jacob(Klynne's son) leaning out the window cheering me on. That made my day, knowing that my best friend was there even after she decided not to do this race. They went ahead and stopped for some pictures and to cheer me on. After to turn around I caught back up with Maddy. She was really having a hard time. I decided at that point, I would run with Maddy and we did a run/walk. I knew that I was going to finish and it was nice to have someone to share in the pain. By the time we got past the 5 mile mark I was feeling good enough to keep running and pulled away from Maddy a bit. Was really happy to come down the stretch and hear my name being called by the announcer! I had finished the OLY!!!(even though we didn't get the swim)

Train more!!! This was my A race and I really let myself down.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal and waited for Madaline to come across the finish. Had some great Bar-b-que and hung out at the CAT tent with Judi.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Like I've said---lack of training and motivation this summer!

Event comments:

Was disappointed that they had to cancel the swim and make it a DU but understand completely. Set-Up always puts on a great race and the weather was not someting that they can control. They were a bit slow in getting the results though.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-04-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:33 | 02.1 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 75/89
Performance: Below average
Course: Course was 3 loops around the parking lot.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:45
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:19:55 | 24.85 miles | 18.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 46/89
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out/back mostly flat, out Rt 5 to Wilcox Neck. Only bad part of the course was having to go over the steel bridge over the Chickahominy River.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:14
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:07:44 | 06.21 miles | 10m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 58/89
Performance:
Course: Out and back along the Colonial Parkway.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-09-10 9:00 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Subject: Patriot International Distance

2008-09-10 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1663623

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD
Subject: RE: Patriot International Distance

Nice pictures!  Sorry it turned into a du, but there wasn't much choice.  You still did great!

Laurie

2008-09-10 9:46 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
You did great out there!  Glad to hang with ya.  We're gonna beat this thing next year.
2008-09-10 12:44 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Nice race, fun race report & great to see you again! And I'm with you & Judi...next year we will rock this race!!!

2008-09-10 3:10 PM

User image

Veteran
I think you did awesome and you'll rock it next year
2008-09-10 6:42 PM

User image

Williamsburg
You did an awesome job, Susan! Way to go out there on Sunday!

-Carrie

2008-09-11 11:25 AM

New user

You model the new uniform well. Forward those pictures to me so I can get them put up ont he club website.
2008-09-14 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Well done! You are a duathlete as well as a triathlete now! Sounds like you have some great friends and support out on the course!

2008-09-14 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great job!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot International Distance Rss Feed