Ironman North America
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 31m 57s
Overall Rank = 1891/2207
Age Group = W35-39
Age Group Rank = 111/134
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Madison on Thursday after learning that my MIL (who has lived wiht my husband and I for almost 10 years) was admitted to ICU because of dangerously low hemoglobin. After many tests and much anxiety we have learned that she has a huge bleeding ulcer and has been diagnosed with lymphoma. My husband stayed behind to take care of her, and my heart and thoughts were with them the whole weekend.

My coach and friend were also competing, so we all shared a room at the Madison Concourse hotel which was amazingly convenient and we all prepared for the race. On Saturday we picked up my rental car and I moved into the Hojo since I had prepaid for the room- no sense in letting it go to waste.

Thursday night we visited the friend of my coach for a nice spaghetti dinner. She is the local USAT member who sets up homestays for the pros when they come to town. She was hosting Sergio Marques who was not racing WI but had just come in THIRD at Louisville. So as we are talking, I mentioned something and my coach asked me if I had heard that on BT. She was kind of making fun of it a little bit, but not really maliciously. She turned to Sergio and asked him if he had heard of the website. And he smiled and told her yes, that he had an account on bt. LOL. I thought that was AWESOME!!! Just goes to show you you never know who's lurking around...

Other than that, I swam about 80% of a loop on Friday to make sure my wetsuit fit and was ok, and we shopped. I spent way too much money, but hey, you are only an IM virgin once, and dang it, I had to train and taper twice to get here. I want my IM loot!
Event warmup:

None. Ate breakfast, drove to the Alliant Energy Center, got on the shuttle and made my way to the race site.

Got body marked and just chilled. Was sad I didn't get to hang with and meet the BTers that were there. It was just hard since my coach and friend kind of had our days planned out. Between that and calling home to check on my MIL, I was pretty busy.
Swim
  • 1h 18m 48s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Spent the whole first loop jockeying for position. Got hit in the goggles by someone's hand, and got the squeeze a few times from some men, but other than that it was just the normal jostling about that you'd expect during a mass start.

The second loop I spent trying to pee. I had to go really bad and couldn't do it and swim at the same time, and I didn't want to stop. Finally got the flow going and felt much better.

I will say the swim went by much faster than I had anticipated. My shoulder was a little tired but no real pain, so that was good. I only had about 3-4 weeks (including taper) of swimming with both arms to get ready for this race since I was recovering from my broken collar bone. I managed to just cruise. I think I was on 4 stroke breathing pretty much the whole time. I wanted to take it easy without really being slow, and I think I accomplished that.

I remember how pretty the sunrise was, and how I felt waiting at the back of the pack for the start to go off. Next time I won't start so far back but I was worried about getting kicked in the shoulder. Next time i'm slugging it out up towards the front of the middle.
What would you do differently?:

Eh, maybe bodyglide my hairline better. My neck only got really chafed where my hair started.
Transition 1
  • 17m 15s
Comments:

I should have never taken this long in transition. I mean, I know it was a long haul up the helix, but I had been shooting for about a 10 minute transition. My problem occurred because I finished with a gazillion other people and didn't get my own personal volunteer. Which I thought was gonna be ok. But putting on my bra and still being semi wet didn't work. It rolled up and was at the top of my boobs and under my arms and I couldn't get it to roll down. I was stuck. I struggled and struggled with the dang thing until some volunteer saw me and left someone to come help me. Which I was very grateful for, but I had lost some time.

And I stopped to pee again before I got on the bike.

Figure out how to get my sports bra on without getting stuck.
Bike
  • 7h 19m 12s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.30 mile/hr
Comments:

The first loop was awesome. I was averaging over 16 mph. But then the second loop came, and the wind picked up. And areas were I was pulling 17-19 mph now was 13-14 mph. So the 2nd loop really pulled my overall speed down, but I still ended up finishing about where I had hoped I would.

Saw lots of guys on the side of the road peeing, and a few peeing on the bike. Yes, I could tell. I however, could not do this. And I didn't want to wait in line at a portojohn. So I held it. I was mighty glad I stopped right before the bike, I would have been in trouble. I didn't eat as much as I should have, but my watch had so much condensation in it, I couldn't use it to time my feedings, and then I lost track. Was this why I had stomach issues later? I'll never know. I did start to have a headache towards the end of the bike. I think that may have played into my stomach issues.

More body glide down under. That's probably it.
Transition 2
  • 11m 2s
Comments:

This was a better transition. I took my time and changed clothes again. Took another pee break. Talked to LazyMarathoner (she's so cute!)and tried to find something for my headache. All my meds like advil, etc were in my special needs bags, not transition bags. Oh well.

Put ibuprofen in my transition bags
Run
  • 6h 25m 42s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I've heard the run called the death march. That pretty much sums it up.

I felt great during the first mile. Hammed it up for the camera. Had about a 10 min pace. Too fast Suzanne, slow down. During mile 2 I started having the stomach pains. You know when the gas feels like it's lodged up under your ribcage and if someone were to poke your stomach you would explode. Yeh, that feeling.

I stopped in a porto john somewhere in mile 2 and the projectile vomiting started. But I must say i felt much better after emptying my stomach. Got back out on the course. Was trying to sip water and some coke. OMG, my stomach pains got worse. I didn't think that was possible. I stopped two more times at porto johns and would feel better for a while and then the pain would start again. Saw my coach right after the Ford inspiration station (she was on lap 2 and I was on lap 1) and she told me to try the chicken broth. Ahhh yes, the chicken broth Suzanne. So I tried it. And it sat ok. So I drank more. Each aid station that came I would get some. At this point I was walking about 80% and running about 20%.

When I got to the turn around I saw Whizzz and was so glad to see a familiar face. She was cheering hard and it meant so much to see here. Thanks Whizzz!

I stopped at special needs and got my secret weapon. During the myrtle beach half mary, I had been hit with stomach cramps of the #2 variety so bad I thought I was gonna have to go to the hospital. I was hurting and nothing was there. At some point I felt the pressure and spasms like you do when you have a UTI so I stopped and bought some AZO and took it. And in about 30 min I felt tons better. So I packed some of that just in case I got hit with the cramping again. Well, desparate times call for desparate measures. I took it and also grabbed some ibuprofen to take in about 2 miles.

I started feeling nauseated again, but I fought through it and managed to take the ibuprofen. I was 100% walking at this point. Still taking in chicken broth. Feeling dizzy and no energy.

And then the cloud lifted. I started to feel better. Around mile 18 I tried an orange. OMG it was so good. I immediately started to feel better. Then it occurred to me that the only calories I had been getting since 4 pm was from chicken broth. No wonder I didn't have any energy and was getting dizzy. I was about to bonk! So at the next aid station, I got 2 orange slices. Even better. I started to feel like I might be able to pick up the pace and run.

At the state street turn around I saw a girl who looked like she was running a pace I could handle. I ran up behind her and told her I was gonna draft off her for a while. She laughed and we started talking. It was so nice to talk to someone after being silent most of the day. Her name was Judy and she was from Chicago and this was her second ironman. She finished her first in like 16:4X so she was determined to do better this time. We basically just willed each other to keep running. And we did. My coach and friend were waiting for me at the train tracks near mile 23 or so and my coach ran along for a while (they had both alredy finished) and and then told me to just keep on trucking with Judy. Coach Katie was very glad to see me running and to know I was feeling better.

Feeling better was an understatement. From mile 19 on I was a new woman. I felt like I had way more energy and felt the best I'd felt during the whole run. This is how you negative split the death march. LOL.

As we came up towards the capital, I started to pick up the pace a bit. Judy, knowing it was my first, told me to go on and finish strong. I passed a ton of folks in that last mile as I think I was running about a 9 min pace at that point. I pulled out my tiger rag and saw the lady at the corner radio in my number. Then I hit the finish chute and heard Mike Reilly say "Suzanne Schlotterback from Simpsonville, South Carolina" (I can't believe he got my name pronounced right!) and it hit me, I was finishing this thing! And I finished strong! And, in spite of walking as much as I did, and let's be honest, it was a LOT, I managed to PR the mary. My only standalone mary that I've done I finished in 6:30:30 and that was with a 5/1 run/walk combo that I stuck to pretty much the whole race. I didn't really realize then how slow my run was back then. Not a whole lot faster than my walk. Now, to PR that in light of the fact that I had little to no nutrition and had a 114.4 mile warm up prior to that, I think is pretty cool.

Let's see. Not have stomach issues and have better nutrition? I dumped my hammergels at about mile 15. There was no way I could eat them, so why carry them. They felt like they weighed a ton.
Post race
Warm down:

My catcher took me for the famous deer-in-headlights picture and then walked me to the food tent. I was ok on my own and he realized that so he left me to eat pizza. My coach, bless her heart, had gotten all my bags, including my dry clothes bag and had them waiting in the food tent. So I was able to put on my warm clothes, eat pizza, and call Derek right away. He was so pumped when he talked to me. He saw me finish and was rooting for me to negative split the run, which I did. Just hearing his voice and how happy he was lifted my already high spirits even more. And then he told me that his mom had had a good day, and that even made it better!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Uh, experience? I know the longer I'm living the multisport lifestyle the faster I'll get. So much of speed comes after putting in the hours day after day. I'll get faster, I just have to keep plugging away.

Event comments:

This race was everything I had hoped it would be. I mean, when I started the run at 4:06 PM, I had my sights set on a 14:30-14:45 finish but it just didn't work out that way. But I know now that I am capable of completing the distances and if I have a good day on all 3 sports and transitions, I should be able to pull off a 14:30 or less IM. Yes, this means I want to do another one. Not sure when I will be able to do it as our adoption will happen by next summer, and IM is a year long commitment, but I know that i will indeed tackle the distance again.

The crowds and the volunteers were AWESOME!! The pirates on the bike course were my favorites. They stayed at it all day and looked like they were having so much fun. The folks that lined the hills and partied and cheered for us all have my gratitude. It made me look forward to those dang hills. At home we just have a hill. At this race we had fans!

The whole atmosphere of the race was electric. Everyone, young and old, fat and fit, all tri-ing to accomplish the same goal. It really was something I'll remember for the rest of my life. It made me realize that the multisport lifestyle and community is one I want to be a part of for the rest of my life. What we have is truly awesome. So many people think triathlon, and even an IM is impossible. It is not.

I want to thank my coach for making sure I was really prepared for this race. I was, even in spite of the little setback I had with my broken collarbone right before IM CDA. She had laid the foundation and the basework for me over the past year so that when I had 6 weeks to build and taper again for this race, it was possible. To anyone who is wondering what the benefits of a coach are, I can't even begin to imagine what this would have been like had I not been coached. I had no overuse injuries. I was not burnt out mentally. I was ready for the hills. I was ready for heat, i was ready to ride in the rain. I was ready for anything IM had to throw at me. She gave me that confidence in training.

Also, I want to thank BT. Being a part of this online community has been wonderful. Yeh, some people may not get it, but those of us on BT understand. It's amazing to me that you can go to any large race in the country and pretty much know you'll run into a friend there. And that my friends, is what BT is built on.

Last updated: 2008-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:18:48 | 4224 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 61/134
Overall: 1238/2207
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix Full
Course: 2 loop course, rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 17:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:19:12 | 112 miles | 15.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 83/134
Overall: 1776/2207
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: I think we all know. Out 16 miles or so to a 40 mile loop with rollers that you do twice and then back in 16 miles to Monona Terrace. The hills were rolling, but nothing really bad. There were 3 major climbs on this loop, but all three were pretty short. Steep, but short. But nothing really like I haven't trained on before. Just put it in the biggest gear I had and spun up the hills as best as I could.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 11:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:25:42 | 26.2 miles | 14m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 122/134
Overall: 1972/2207
Performance: Bad
Course: Two loop course. a few out and backs. rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-10 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2008-09-10 3:04 PM
in reply to: #1664948

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin

Congratulations, IRONMAN!

I didn't know for sure if you knew it was me... so I yelled your name... and then my own!!!

Great to see you out there. Nice job.

2008-09-10 3:18 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Congratulations, IRONMAN!!! You overcame so much in this journey and its been a pleasure to watch your strength and grace through it all. Most of us would have said F**K NO after the collarbone break but you gutted through all that and made the best of it. Very impressive. 

Oh, and I thought of this one while running the other day: 

"Suzanne, putting the HOTTER in Schlotterback" or "You can't spell Schlotterback without HOTTER".

2008-09-10 3:33 PM
in reply to: #1665039

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Whizzzzz - 2008-09-10 4:04 PM

Congratulations, IRONMAN!

I didn't know for sure if you knew it was me... so I yelled your name... and then my own!!!

Great to see you out there. Nice job.

I saw you and Chris at the beginning of the bike too but by the time I realized it was you I was too far past to yell!

2008-09-10 3:34 PM
in reply to: #1665096

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Matchman - 2008-09-10 4:18 PM

Congratulations, IRONMAN!!! You overcame so much in this journey and its been a pleasure to watch your strength and grace through it all. Most of us would have said F**K NO after the collarbone break but you gutted through all that and made the best of it. Very impressive. 

Oh, and I thought of this one while running the other day: 

"Suzanne, putting the HOTTER in Schlotterback" or "You can't spell Schlotterback without HOTTER".

You are too sweet!

2008-09-10 5:09 PM

User image

Beaverton, OR
Congratulations!!! You're an inspiration.

2008-09-10 6:16 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Great race report, fantastic race! You should be so proud of everything you accomplished with so many distractions! You did it! AWESOME Congratulations, Ironman. You are one tuff woman.
2008-09-10 6:20 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Hey- I was at the hojo too... too bad we didnt meet

Great stuff Ironman!!!

2008-09-10 6:45 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome Job Suzzanne congratulations
2008-09-10 7:22 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

WOOOOOOOHOOOOO!

Great report, except I am wondering why so much talk about pee, and no talk about POO!?! 

2008-09-10 7:43 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
GI problems seem to be a common theme on the run. You faced some big challenges and stuck with it though. Congratulations on becoming and IRONMAN!!

2008-09-10 8:24 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Congratulations and WOW.  Impressive completion with all the stuff going on in your life.  Way to come back on that run.
2008-09-11 6:47 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I love the alliteration to end the race - "Suzanne Schlotterback from Simpsonville, South Carolina" - that's almost a tongue-twister!

As possum indicated, much pee was produced.  Too bad the GI issues were problematic, but you HTFU and did fantastic!

CONGRATULATIONS, IRON(WO)MAN!!

2008-09-11 7:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD

Your Race Report made me tear up!!! You did a great Job!! I hope to do that next year!!

Congrats!! Ironman!!

GJ

2008-09-11 9:06 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO

Way to go Suzanne!!  What a journey you have gone through....  YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!! 

2008-09-11 9:28 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats Ironman!

You are smart to have your plan optimize your abilities at the given time. I wish your stomach had been more like it had been in training.  You adjusted and got it done with a negative split on the run.

Nice bike split....love that!

You are tough like Iron is so many ways:
1. Train and tapered for two IM's in one year
2. Broke your collarbone, adjusted your plan, toughened up mentally and trained again
3. You are dedicated and improving athlete

What the heck is AZO?

It was so great to share your IM journey with you..different than expected but amazing none the less.

So proud of you Ironman Suzanne!

2008-09-11 9:39 AM

User image

Elite
Great job Suzanne.  It has been so fun watching you progress through the year.  I just can't believe we were unable to meet durin ghte whole darn weekend.  Great job Ironman!!
2008-09-11 10:33 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Congratulations!!!  It sounds like you really hung in there to become and IRONMAN.  Best wishes for your MIL too.

2008-09-11 1:23 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Nice race.  Congratulations.
2008-09-11 1:36 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

Awesome race!! Truly an inspiration to me!!

2008-09-12 5:50 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Way to bring it Suzanne, you pulled through the absolute worst for an awesome finish,very inspiring !

2009-09-19 8:44 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

What a gut-wrenching race!  Wow...you are made of tough stuff.  Way to negative split the run and polish off the last few miles with a great race finish.  Nutrition is so KEY at the IM and HIM distances, eh?  Like you, I under-fed on my Timberman 70.3 this year and paid big-time on the run.  "Gotta feed the machine"

Anyway, I'm sure there are a few good pics, not just "deer in headlights" stuff, so share 'em when you can.  

Be proud, rest well.  Cheers, -Sunny

2009-09-20 8:01 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Way to hang in there IRONMAN!!! Talk about overcoming GI issues! Nice work out there!
2009-09-21 3:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
You are an IRONMAN.....congratulations! Glad to hear you overcame the stomach problems.....must have been horrible while those lasted.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed