General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Was that me, or a turtle on its back trying to remove that wetsuit... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-11 12:14 PM

Chicagoland Area
Subject: Was that me, or a turtle on its back trying to remove that wetsuit...
Okay, so I finished my first tri with wetsuit....here is the whole account.  For me this was supposed to be the year for the Olympic distance, or the “Oly” as some would call it. I, on the other hand, just couldn’t muster the strength, dedication, interest or stamina to really drive it all home. So, I decided to go ahead and do the sprint instead. I can’t tell you how liberating this was. Perhaps a little too liberating, because my fitness level the day of the event left a tad to be desired. However, I was determined to have a great time.

Woke up at the same before the crack of the crack of the butt of dawn and loaded up the ford blue van with 3 of my closest friends. We convoyed downtown to meet the packs and droves of insane people on bikes carrying large backpacks and wearing alien helmets. Transition was fun. I was next to this lady named Sandy who I swear, had more makeup on than I have seen on most models. I even mentioned I trained in less time than it took her to apply her mascara. Regardless, friends were made, laughs had. I had dilemma though. I have written many explainations of putting on a wetsuit that I won't bore you with here.  You can check out my blog to read that.  Needless to say, while I didn't want to put it on in public, I did and immediately began to dehydrate because of the vast pools of sweat dripping from my face.

Swim start….I am chatting away to anyone who will listen so that I am taken aback when the actual horn goes off. I had no idea it would be that fast. I begin to try to develop some sort of rhythm to no avail because I am being kicked, pulled, yanked and otherwise beaten in the water. I also believe I ran over someone doing backstroke (sorry). Finally though, I am out of the water which is great for me. I search for my shoes which are under the crunch sign and see my girlfriend Kitty who I begin to have a conversation with…right there. We chat for a couple of minutes before I remember that this is a RACE. I proceed to hobble to the bike transition.

No amount of strength or flexibility will get me out of the wetsuit. I am like a turtle on my back, feet raised trying to get the sucker off of my ankles. Finally people stop to ask if I need help. I must have looked like I needed some medical attention. But, I prevail and walk (can I say that again WALK to the bike exit) I take my time getting on the bike and take off. The bike itself was uneventful. I couldn’t really get any speed worth mentioning, but there were some nice looking bikes along the way. Once off the bike I walk….yes, walk to the rack and change shoes, take off helmet, put on hat, do my hair (wait, I have none) Finally, I am off again. I get out on the run course and realize I still have my bike gloves on. Silly me, so I have to carry them with me.

I hated the run, every bit of it. I walked a lot of it and just smiled when I remembered I wasn’t doing the “Oly”!! Toward the end of the race I see a woman in front of me, she is struggling to get through this, but is giving it her all. I follow her for quite some time until we are within a 1/4 mile of the finish line. At that point I see her start to walk. I shout “Don’t you dare start walking now woman…I have followed you this far, you had better pick it up!!” So she starts running again. We sort of laugh together, the crowd starts to cheer us on because I am cheering her on Man oh Man what a RUSH!! We cross the finish line arm in arm in the actual victory pose. Hip Hip Hooray!!!!! All of the sudden a voice comes over the loudspeaker “Ladies, you have not crossed the finish line yet!!!!” We burst out laughing finish the race with a hop and smile.

She told me I made her race, that she wouldn’t have been able to do it without me. Now, I know that isn’t true, but it really was a nice thing to hear.

I had my slowest times ever in this race. I am not going to deny that in the negative area of my brain, that horrible place, I can feel bad about it. But mostly, I had a great time. I laughed and cried when two of my closest friends crossed the “Oly” finish line. I am so proud of them.

And you know what, even if I was the slowest of the slow….I am proud of me too!!

Great Job Terry from Naperville….whoever you are. 

2008-09-11 12:25 PM
in reply to: #1667561

Subject: RE: Was that me, or a turtle on its back trying to remove that wetsuit...
Thank you.  That was the funniest, sweetest, most endearing race report I have ever read.  You rocked!!!!
2008-09-11 12:37 PM

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Was that me, or a turtle on its back trying to remove that wetsuit...

Hey now!  I'm more agile than most people give me credit for, and can roll myself off of my back just fine, thank you.   Tongue out

2008-09-11 1:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
The best part of that race report (besides how funny it is...); is that it reminds me of how much fun you can have with the right attitude
2008-09-11 5:28 PM
in reply to: #1667843

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
PLMsbr - 2008-09-11 2:22 PM

The best part of that race report (besides how funny it is...); is that it reminds me of how much fun you can have with the right attitude

I was very jealous of the fact you took the race for what it was and had fun. Too many times (ok I have only done 2 races) I feel like I am so worked up competitively, I really don't start enjoying myself until after the race is over. My wife tells me to "just have fun" and I need to start listening. I really do race just for the excuse to train and need to remember that.

I do look to better myself each race and therefore push even harder. I think you have a % of folks on this site who compete to win or do well in AG, and others who are content in reaching milestones, but also know how to have fun and are OK with whatever results show up at the finish line. My personality is competitive by nature, but I would much rather start looking forward to races than worry about them so much...

Thanks for post and for different insight... Congrats to you and your positive outlook!
2008-09-11 6:09 PM

User image

Master

What an awesome story! Thanks for sharing!

2008-09-12 10:34 AM

Chicagoland Area
Thanks for the compliments on the writing and the encouragement to keep on writing.  You know, I typically stick to the Athena/Clydesdale posts and rarely visit this portion of the site.  I think I'll have to start visiting here more often.
2008-09-12 7:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver BC

AWESOME!!!!!  Great story - you sound like a real 'winner' to me!  The world needs more people like you!

2008-09-12 7:23 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan
LMAO!!  Awesome.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Was that me, or a turtle on its back trying to remove that wetsuit... Rss Feed