Fleet Feet Madison
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Work all day. Fuss about the weather. Go home. Fuss about the wind. Eat a bagel with peanut butter. Cook dinner for the family. Change clothes, and head to the race.
Event warmup:

I swam maybe 100 meters. Then I stood on shore and let the wind hold me up as the waves crashed over my feet. Fun.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Transition 1
  • 00m
Swim
  • 15m 29s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

So, I'm fairly sure this distance was short. I would see these were some of the worst conditions I've ever swam in. I'm happy to say that I remained calm throughout. I often couldn't see over the swells. But, I just sited on the other people in the water, figuring that someone was catching glimpses of the buoys. Every once in a while I'd time it right to look up when I was cresting a wave and make sure I was on track. The goal for this race was just to settle in and relax and not to push pace, since I have another race coming up on Sunday. I think I did that fairly well.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, really - met my goal and maintained a decent line.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Not sure of the time on this - I'm going by memory until they post the results. Aaron came over to report my swim time and to wish me luck on the run. And, then I was off.
Run
  • 27m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

My heart rate was a bit higher than I wanted coming into the run. So, I just focused on getting it down and finding my pace. Only about 3 people passed me on the run, which is fairly good for me in this race. People doing this tend to be fast. Coming towards the turnaround, I noticed a woman I'd been joking with before the race. She was probably a half mile ahead of me. At the turn around, I realized that I was running mostly alone - the next racer was a ways back, and there wasn't anyone to chase down in front of me either. I couldn't decide if that was good or bad. The goal was a tempo workout more than a race, so I decided it was good - just run my run. As I neared the 3/4 mile left point, I realized that the woman I'd seen earlier was ahead of me, walking. I had a little chat with myself about continuing to run my race and not trying to catch her. She started running again, and I just kept on going my pace. I caught up to her with about 200 yards to go. I could have blown past her, but asked if she wanted to run in together and she said, "You set the pace and I'll try to keep up." So, I pushed her in to the end, gradually increasing the pace, and we crossed together. She thanked me afterwards. It felt pretty darn good to remember that this race wasn't about my best performance speed-wise, and that I could do my donkey good deed for the day.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - ran it the way I wanted to run it.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched out a little and drank some water. They had cookies at this race last year. No such luck last night. So, I went home, showered, and had some yogurt.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I held back because of Sunday's race. But, that's what I wanted to do. So, I'm cool with it.

Last updated: 2008-09-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall:
Putting on cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting out of shoes:
Swimming
00:15:29 | 1094 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time:  00:49
Overall:
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting into shoes:
Running
00:27:09 | 03.11 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back mostly on bike paths, with one nasty hill.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-09-12 8:12 AM

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Subject: Fleet Feet Aquathon #5

2008-09-12 8:29 AM
in reply to: #1669834

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Fleet Feet Aquathon #5

You gotta love those tough conditions to show your fortitude! (Yeah, right)

Great job, Donkey Deanna!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fleet Feet Aquathon #5 Rss Feed