65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 34m 2s
Overall Rank = 26/39
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

B'fast- PBJ and a banana, coffee
Drove over to Faribault in the mist and fog and dark. Luckily we got there a lot earlier than expected. We drove a iittle of the course to check out the turn from the road to trail. Should have driven the whole thing.
Event warmup:

Took the bikes out for a couple miles and then a short run.
Run
  • 16m 31s
  • 1.75 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal for this run was just to loosen up and keep a decent pace. Of course, there were a lot of people faster than me. OK, there were only 4 people slower than me. Whatever. I did my thing and it was OK. I'm actually quite chuffed with my running this month. I have been putting in solid 11 min miles all summer. This is a nice change.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. This was a decent first run and I wanted to save my legs for the bike.
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Not smokin' fast, but decent. I started to put on the jacket, but decided against it; good call. Everything was soaking wet and my glasses were instantly fogged. BTW, I hate coming into transition and being one of the only bikes left. At least I could find mine though.

Think about the jacket ahead of time.
Bike
  • 45m 34s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.43 mile/hr
Comments:

The plan was to go all out on the bike. I think I did that, although it too me a while to catch the back of the pack. I finally caught up to the first rider at mile 3. After that, I was able to keep reeling in riders. I completely dominated those poor folks on their beach cruisers and mtn bikes. Basically, if you were rockin' the platform pedals, I owned you! I'm only partially joking... My run put me so far back that the only people I could catch were the ones in the back of the field. I still kept a good pace and went as hard as I could. That was the goal.

Not really sure. My average before the trail was over 19 and it dropped a lot on the trail. How could I go faster on the trail. The bumps made it tough, but I bet I could have been faster.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Meh. Another transition. I almost forgot my gimp-strap, but thankfully remembered it. After it was on, I grabbed my number and hat and dashed (shuffled) out.

Not much.
Run
  • 29m 56s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Whew, it got pretty muggy out there. Felt like I was running in the jungle. This was a tough run for me. I knew I needed to hold off the people I passed on the bike, but my legs just didn't care. I kept trying to push it, but had nothing left. I hit the first mile at exactly 10 min and the second at 20 min. I figured that I was on track for 30 even if I kept it up, so that was my goal for the last mile. I didn't walk except for about 20 ft at the water stop. That's good compared to the rest of the summer. I also finished with a 10 min pace, which again, I'm happy with. Better than my other runs lately.

Not sure. Could I have convinced my legs to go faster? Maybe.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, banana, walked to find Jeremy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual. The rain certainly didn't help me any. I learned that I really don't run well in humidity. This was my second rainy race and they are tough.

Event comments:

The bike course was a bit confusing and it would have been nice if the volunteers were more vocal. I also didn't like so many left turns on the bike course. Or the trail.

I somehow ended up 3rd in my AG and got a medal; that was unexpected.

Last updated: 2008-09-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:16:31 | 01.75 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 35/39
Performance: Good
Avg HR- 166 Max HR- 172
Course: Kind of a loop in a neighborhood. Trail and a bit of gravel.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:10
Overall: Average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:45:34 | 14 miles | 18.43 mile/hr
Overall: 17/39
Performance: Good
Avg HR- 166 Max HR- 174
Wind: None
Course: Loop around a lake with 5 miles on the trail. The roads were great, but the trail was so rough. Bump, bump, bump. Lots of gravel on the turns, which, combined with the rain, made for a cautious ride.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:56 | 03 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Overall: 33/39
Performance: Average
Avg HR- 164 Max HR- 176 Wow, that's some consistent HR data.
Course: Kind of an out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-09-13 8:36 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: Cannon Lake Duathlon

2008-09-14 12:15 AM
in reply to: #1672647

User image

Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: Cannon Lake Duathlon
Congrats on the medal but super congrats on those run times!  That is great going from 11 min miles to 10 min miles!  WTG
2008-09-15 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1672647

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Cannon Lake Duathlon
wooo hoo! Hardware!! Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cannon Lake Duathlon Rss Feed