Beverly, Massachusetts
United States
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 35m 31s
Overall Rank = 15/53
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 8/13
Pre-race routine:

Didn't really do anything exept trying to find restrooms. Ended up driving to Dunkin Doughnut in downtown Beverly, because the restrooms at the race were locked and the ranger with the kees didn't show up until later.
Anyway, this is the third year I'm doing this race. I really like it. The course is really beautiful and it's always a very relaxed atmosphere.
Swim
  • 27m 5s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was relatively warm compared to last year, but shoppy and wavy. I liked it though, because it seems more adventurous compared to a swim in a lake. Felt a little dizzy coming out of the water as usual.
What would you do differently?:

Next time I'll try ear plugs.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

This time is just an estimate. Had no problems in T1. Chatted with the guy next to me. He was a little worried about the rain before the race started. I told him that I actually prefer rain over heat.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 21s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.53 mile/hr
Comments:

The guy I chatted with before race start in at T1 was way faster than me, but I caught up with him during the run. There was another guy though. We kept passing each other and eventually I started talking with him and we did the entire second loop next to each other. Nobody passed us which was surprizing. I got a flat about 200 yards before T2, but I just kept going. Hope it didn't destroy my rim.

Nothing really. It was a good idea to buddy up with somebody, which I learned at the Full Vineman. It keeps you motivated and fast and is just more fun.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

This time is just an estimate. Had no problems during T2.

Nothing
Run
  • 46m 5s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I left my "biking buddy" behind and eventually caught up with the other I guy I had chatted with during T1 and before the race. He told me that he and a bunch of other people got lost on the course and that the waisted probably 4 minutes. I kept running with him at a comfortable pace. After about 30 minutes I decided to go faster, because I had some energy left. I wanted to pass the three people in front of me, which I did. Somebody else passed me afterwards though. I tried to keep up with him, but couldn't.

Nothing. I think it was a good stategie to buddy up with somebody, recover somewhat and then go out full with max. pace during the second half of the run.
Post race
Warm down:

My peeps cheered me on at the finish line. I met my "biking buddy" and "running buddy" afterwards. My Australian neighbor Kevin who only wanted to do the Aquabike had flat too, but seemed in good spirits nevertheless.

Event comments:

Again I like this race. Did do it 3 years in a row. This year it had the fewest people, probably because registration opened late in the season and the rain scared off a lot of people.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:05 | 1640 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/53
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:16:21 | 24.85 miles | 19.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/53
Wind:
Course: Nice course. I really like this race.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal