General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 20 Week Half Iornman Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-14 3:27 PM

New user

Qatar
Subject: 20 Week Half Iornman Plan
Hi Folks,
I'm about to follow the Beginner Triathlete 20 Week Half Ironman Plan. I'm hoping to do my 1st event of this distance at the end of Jan 2009 in Dubai and again in August 2009 in Belgium.
I'm looking to finish AND enjoy the event.
I'm coming from a background of several sprint tri in recent years and my 1st olympic dist tri this July in the UK.
I live in Qatar, so I'm lucky to have all year sunshine (+ heat, humidity, dust & sand ) & easy access to facilities ( a 25m pool & the warm arabian sea & an almost traffic free dual carriageway/freeway)

Here's my queries ...
If you have successfully followed the plan, would you do anything different next time ?
Any tips/suggestions for following the plan ?
Nutrition tips for heat & humidity ?
How should I continue training after the 1st event in Jan09 for the August09 event ?
Best ways to balance young family with an increase in training times ?
All replies welcome
Thanks
Bri

2008-09-14 9:59 PM
in reply to: #1673223

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
Subject: RE: 20 Week Half Iornman Plan
Don't over train...Good Luck!
2008-09-15 1:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Jackson, MS

Heat humidity, well coming from the dirty south i can wage a good general tips for you

-PRE-hydrate is just as important as drinking while training

-Prunes/bananas  = lots of potassium

-Adapt your body to training in the heat and you will be fine

-i should have more but i can't think.... my head hurts from studying 25+hours in 2 days.

2008-09-15 6:09 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
There's two 20 week programs, one for Bronze, then another for Silver/Gold members.

I used the Silver/Gold BT 20 week HIM program and thought it worked great, as I had a great HIM race and blew away the times I was aiming for. I had a good swim base going in as I worked out on that over the past winter quite abit, along with the run as I did an early season half mary and added some more rides at points in the summer, and had to switch some training days around due to my schedule with work and training issues, but it all worked out. I even added some rest days to it when I felt some extra rest was necessary due to other things going on between the family and work. Having a working wife and kids dictates that you'll have to be flexible with everything.

The HIM was the first full training program I ever followed, I just found BT in Aug of 2007, and used part of there training program for an Oly last year which was my first year back to Tri's in 18 or so years, and was happy with having a more thought out training plan, instead of my former do whatever whenever training plan, that never really worked for me or provided much improvement. Just make sure you have a decent base going in.

You'll have enough time between races to get some rest/recovery time in, then ramp up training again possibly using the same 20 week program or 16 week intermediate program if you want to try a little more intense training.

2008-09-15 5:04 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
I am in week 12 of the 20 week Bronze plan and after lookign back, I am thnkful I did more volume than what was planned. I did have good base going in, but was not sure the volumes listed would get me there. Plus, I have to drive a bit to pool and was not going to drive combined 30 minutes to swim for 30 minutes...

At the end though, it comes down to expectations. If my goal was to finish the HIM, then plan would get me there. But if I want to do well (that is 5:30:00) for me, then I am glad I did not follow plan exactly. IMHO, unless your plan is laid out based on your personal strengths/weaknesses and then updated at least every 3-4 weeks, it is a general plan and tinkering here and there is par for the course.

Good luck...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 20 Week Half Iornman Plan Rss Feed