United States
80'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 14s
Overall Rank = 215/366
Age Group = F35 -39
Age Group Rank = 6/12
Pre-race routine:

Had oatmeal and coffee, remembered to bring bike bottles and tried to drink as much water as I could b/c it was already hot and humid at 7 and I still had almost 2 1/2 hrs. till my swimmy swim swim.
Event warmup:

Walked around w/ Mike for a while, listened to horrible music - they actually played a Christmas carol and that dumb "Shhhhhhhhaving cream, feels nice and clean, shave every day and you'll always feel clean" for pete's sake! I didn't realize how much the tunes get you excited and ready to race. Here, not so much.
On the plus side, I met Miss Bethy and chatted with her for a bit in transition.
Swim
  • 17m 56s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Goodness - I started sighting every 4th stroke. That was going well, I was on somebody's toes for a bit. Then, I started sighting every 8th or so stroke, wound up way on the inside. Repeat that sequence about 5 times.

Last minute decided to not wear the wetsuit - it was so hot and humid and 76 is nice and refreshing.
What would you do differently?:

Keep with my 4 stroke sighting - I don't know why I kept going back to sighting every 8 or 10. Slow learner?? At 2 different times in the race, I was so inside that I was actaully sighting off the outbound bouys instead of the ones I was supposed to be on. Im shocked no kayaks or surfboards redirected me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Long uphill run from swim - time was fine for me

nothing
Bike
  • 53m 47s
  • 16.1 miles
  • 17.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Oh boy. First of all, I think the course was short b/c my computer had me at 14 miles with about 15.9 avg. speed. This is what happens when you walk your bike in the middle of the race!! I was prepared for the big hill. Actually, it's a longish part then a turn when you think it's over but it's really another long, long steep hill. That's where the fun starts.
I wasn't expecting the last long, long bit b/c there was a "mild" hill leading up to the first section of the REAL hill. I mistook the mild hill for the first section of the hill and the actual first section for the second section. For a short minute, I was psyched that I just motored up it. Then I saw the rest of the hill. I made it about 85% of the way up.
My heartrate was skyrocketing and I had difficulty catching my breath. After a while in the granny ring, I thought I was going to toss my cookies and I didn't think I could ride straight going about 5mph and puke so I got off my bike. I was then walking 3.6 mph. so I really wasn't losing much ground. There were lots of people doing the same and it took a long, long while to get my hr. under control. The downhills were fun but i was recovering instead of actively pedaling. My top speed wa 39 - not what I expected.

More hill work, well, more bike work. My bike training has plummeted since Rhode Island in July and I felt it.
Transition 2
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Took it easy - still out of breath and my HR felt way high. I had run out of water on the bike so I was thirsty and sooper hot.

Go faster. I definitely could have.
Run
  • 32m 6s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I was very hot. Thankfully there was gatorade right out of the transition area. I took 2 and took my time. I walked the aid stations and shuffled along in between. It seems like I never really got my HR under control. Very strange. It was pretty flat but it just took a lot to finish this race.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a lot of water, ate an orange and dove back into the resivoir. AAHHHHHH. Also ate some salad and perogies and called it a day. We had to go to a Christening in the early afternoon...

Event comments:

Volunteers were awesome!! Lots of teenagers cheering and yelling and never getting tired of being supportive!! Music could change a little bit and having everyone (even USAT members) fill out a USAT registration form at packet P/U made for a long line. The swim started a little late and on an unusually hot and humid day like today, it was tough out there.

Last updated: 2008-09-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:56 | 880 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 190/366
Performance: Below average
Suit: nope
Course: clockwise rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:53:47 | 16.1 miles | 17.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 196/366
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course: No flats. Rollers with one big monster hill in the middle.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:34
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal