TNT productions
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 14m 44s
Overall Rank = 390/951
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 18/84
Pre-race routine:

Coffee with silk and yogurt with strawberries & bananas for breakfast. We left about 20 minutes later from the house than I had planned (partially my fault; partially my husband's). I knew once we got on the road that there was no way I was going to make it on time! We got about 1 mile away from transition where the roads were closed for the race and he had to drop me off. Transition closed at 6:40, and he dropped me off at 6:30am. I had to jog/walk with all my gear the rest of the way. The wrong side of transition was closer, and I begged the volunteers to let me in. Set up my area quickly before they kicked us out, got body marked and picked up my chip, watched the elite wave go off, and then waited an hour for my wave (half of which was spent in the longest porta potty line ever). Hurry up and wait!

Had a HUGE transition area which was great. Only 6 bikes to a rack and I was near a middle post. Plenty of room!
Event warmup:

The 1 mile jog/walk to transition before it closed.
Swim
  • 30m 11s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Kept an outside line to stay away from the group at the start. Started passing the wave in front of us after about 8 mins. Drafted off someone else in my wave for a little while before hitting the bridge. After the turnaround and back under the bridge the second time, the sun completely blinded me for the last two buoys. I had to take my goggles off to be able to see a few times! It got crowded at the end as well, so it was harder to maneuver.
What would you do differently?:

I've done 25 minutes at this distance before as part of a relay, so I was a little disappointed to see 28 mins on my watch when I finished. Coming back into the sun and not being able to see made me nervous that I was going off-course, so I stopped to see where I was going way too much. Should have just put my head down and finished. Official time was 30:11 so the timing mat must have been closer to transition than I thought.
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

19/84. Not bad for me.

Nothing really.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 47s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.23 mile/hr
Comments:

I had no idea what to expect on Rock Creek Parkway and Canal Road since I didn't get a chance to drive it and you are normally not allowed to bike it. I figured there'd be some climbing on Canal since it was going up to the falls, but it was only slight. I was in my big ring the entire time. I passed more than I got passed, so I was happy.

I am surprised at my pace with all the turnarounds that I took VERY slowly, especially when others were around me. One lady crashed over a curb about 30 yards ahead of me since she took the turn too fast (luckily, she wasn't hurt).

Ate some shot blocks and made a consistent effort to drink my Luna Electrolytes.

Drive the course beforehand so I know what to expect.
Transition 2
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

The dismount line was not crowded at all, which was great. Clipped out and stopped completely and ran to my rack in my clipless pedals. Changed my shoes, put on race belt and visor, grabbed my bike bottle, and was off.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 17m 36s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

95+ degrees out, extreme humidity, and very little shade made for a very slow run. I tried to do run/walk intervals consistently but it was just too hot and I walked a lot. Stopped at every water station for water, powerade, and ice. Dumped ice water on my head at each aid station and put ice down my tank. Ran with my bike bottle and refilled that every chance I could. Cold sponges at one water station, so I took two and put them under my shoulder straps and tried to rewet them when I could. Just tried not to dehydrate and keep one foot in front of the other.

Make it 20 degrees cooler with no humidity.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around at the finish and looked for my husband (never found him). Drank about 4 bottles of powerade and water and ate a banana. They had pizza, but that didn't appeal to me at all. Since the finish was about two miles from transition, had to wait in line for 25 minutes for the athlete shuttle to take us back to transition, which dropped us off at the WWII memorial about .75 mile away! My hamstrings were NOT happy with this. Once I got my gear, it was another mile back to a place where my husband could pick me up since the roads were still closed. Traffic was a nightmare.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and humidity.

Event comments:

3,000 participants is a bit much for me since I don't like crowds and prefer smaller races. Logistically, the race itself was awesome with all the monuments but getting there and getting out of the city afterwards was challenging and not very athlete-friendly. This race is only going to get bigger in the future since it is such a great venue, which will make those logistics even worse.

Organizers were great and almost everything went off without a hitch. Very well done race. I'd do it again.

Last updated: 2008-04-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:11 | 1640 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/84
Overall: 0/951
Performance: Good
Suit: two-piece tri-suit
Course: Rectangle course underneath the Memorial Bridge. Going out, we went under span #2, there were two turn buoys past the bridge, then we went back under span #4, and two more buoys to the finish. Floating dock with staircase to get out of the water.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:21:47 | 24.85 miles | 18.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/84
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly flat with some slight rollers, two 90 degree turns, and five 180 degree turnarounds. The road was generally in good condition although it did have some potholes, manhole covers, and grates on the curbs. Even the seams on the ramps were pretty smooth. We rode past the White House, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, and the Kennedy Center. Pretty cool course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:17:36 | 06.21 miles | 12m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/84
Performance: Average
Course: Flat run around Haines Point and up past the Washington Monument. Some side streets and some turnarounds, finishing with the Capitol building behind you. Very cool!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-14 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD
Subject: The Nation's Triathlon

2008-09-14 9:35 PM
in reply to: #1673625

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: The Nation's Triathlon
Congratulations to you. You did a good race and were able to stay hydrated on the run -- many folks were having trouble keeping enough fluids on board for the last hour of the race.
2008-09-15 7:11 AM
in reply to: #1673736

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Great job out there.  The run was brutally hot.

2008-09-15 8:16 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Awesome job on a long race.  Humidity and lots of sun make for a grueling run but you stayed tough.  Smoking bike.  Hard to start a race late but you did a great job!!
2008-09-15 8:20 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Wow, what a day.  That run must have been brutal... but you really did a great job pulling it off!!  Yeah, and I think pizza is about the last thing I'd want after running for over an hour in 95 degree heat.
2008-09-15 9:31 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

What an awesome race!  Great job on beating your goal, especially in that kind of heat!

2008-09-15 10:08 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Nice job!!   Congrats on beating your time goal too!
2008-09-18 1:15 PM

Regular
Thanks for the nice words, and way to stick it out through the heat! That was a tough race, and you did it well!
2008-09-18 2:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Great Job. There is nothing worse than getting to a race late. I have enough race day energy and anxiety without additional sources. Way to suck it up and have a great race. That run was hot! It seemed like miles 4-6 were as long as the first 3! It does look like the event is only going to get bigger, as that transition site has a lot of room to grow.
2008-09-19 2:40 PM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Great job. That run was really tough, especially after starting in the next to last wave as I did.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Nation's Triathlon Rss Feed