Georgia Multisports
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 50m 41s
Overall Rank = 168/
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 5/32
Pre-race routine:

Got up early enough to dress, load the truck and head a very short distance over to the park. I wanted to get in and set up early so I could try my first ever true event warm-up! Ate a light breakfast of yogurt, banana and a pbj.
Event warmup:

My new coach had me warm-up on the bike for 30-40 mins. although it was probably more like 20 mins. Very interesting as this is a first for me. After racking the bike I headed down to the water and got in about 300-400 yds of easy swimming. I swam out into the middle of the course and tried different directions to see how the sun would affect my sighting. This course is notorious for some nasty glare on the return. Ultimately it didn't matter much since once we started a fog blew into the bay and visibility went to zero!
Swim
  • 30m 46s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am ultimately happy with this swim. This is my first Oly in two years and the last time was on this course so I was anxious to see improvement. I was 4+ mins. faster than 2006 which made me happy. I had a registration snafu that put me in the back though so while my first 200 to the first turn went well, I was forced to swim through a lot of bodies along that very long backstretch. I was clobbered in the nose once pretty good and got banged more than any HIM or IM I've ever participated in. Weird for a TT start. My final turn to the beach was good so my start and finish were performed as I wanted. I was out of the water in :30.12 and then crossed the mat up the beach :30 secs later so I need to stretch to that mat for a better time.
What would you do differently?:

I need to focus on those long stretches and not worry too much about navigation. I'm never off that much but I seemed to struggle with siting on this one because of the fog and also the buoy colors. They matched the swim caps so everything kind of blended in out there. Swim like I did at the beginning and end and my results will be even better.
Transition 1
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

Not a great T1. I had a really great bike rack position right by the exit which is a first for me. I did probably poke around a little w/ the socks and bike shoes. Most of this time is lost in the run up from the beach and then to traverse the fairly big transition area.

I would like to say 'run faster' but I was trying to manage keeping my HR in check. Might just be a little out of practice on this for short course performance.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 47s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 19.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I was faster this year by a couple of minutes, but frankly, thought I was a lot faster so part of me is disappointed. This was my first time on this course on a tri bike and it did seem windier than previous years so I was glad to have it. The 11/23 may or not be a mistake here. Many of the hills required me to really gear down. I was surprised at some of the levels of rider out there this time. Tugaloo is usually a pretty buttoned down group of racers due to the difficulty of this event. It seemed like there were a lot of folks out there who aren't sure of the rules.

I might really force myself to get my HR in check before I move forward to fast. This will be my challenge at SC HIM. I definitely was over the HR speed limit for the duration. Also, I might lift off the saddle more to keep up momentum on some smaller hills that I can carry with the inbound speed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

I've had better T2's but as usual, it takes practice, especially on short course races. I didn't run with Yanks so I slipped my shoes on and exited quickly to the water stop where I tied up and grabbed some yummy liquid refreshment.

Not much. I did kind of stop and stare at my set up for a couple moments due primarily to being out of practice.
Run
  • 56m 16s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

By biggest disappointment. Two years ago I broke :50 here! So I while I seemed ok, I was pokey. With the reverse direction, they really throw you into two big hills early. One is right outside the front door of T2 and the other is in Mile 2 so my HR was jacked from the get-go. I was really trying to focus on keeping it low but at around the 1/2 way point I thought if I don't step up a little I'm going to really tank. My hamstrings and calves were talking to me and I was starting to get concerned about cramping. My mechanics seemed a bit off as well.

Really try and be disciplined more with some walk breaks early on and then I can still unload later. Also, managing my HR on the bike would certainly benefit my run.
Post race
Warm down:

My right hamstring started to cramp severely just steps from the finish. I was supposed to re-hydrate and go back out for a 45 min. run. I lasted about 20 mins. and ran into a friend who commented on my lousy condition and convinced me to turnaround and head back. No true postrace run for me beyond that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight for sure. I had planned on being down below Clydesdale by now. I need an intervention to be where I want by IM FL. Also, HR management is the key to long course but I think for me it also applies here to some degree.

Event comments:

I've always like this race because it's very challenging. Flatlanders need not apply. I was glad to be back after missing last year due to IM Wisconsin. I do believe I am a better triathlete now than in 2006 however the clock doesn't show it so there is more work to do. It was awesome seeing so many of my friends/training pals here. It's amazing how many more people I know in this sport just a few years later. And it's also been great to watch them all excel too. A final note and tip of the cap to race management. Active.com screwed up my registration way back in April and we never noticed it until Friday before the race. I brought all my gear but was not having much hope that I would be able to get into this race. That would've been ok, but I really wanted to race and see where I am training-wise. The folks who run this were very gracious and accomodating and got me in. They even got me a t-shirt at the end of the event although they told me upfront that it wasn't guaranteed. Very cool. Now, hopefully, next year the lake will return to full pool and that will make things just about perfect!

Last updated: 2008-01-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:46 | 1640 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/32
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Extremely flattened triangle due to the very low water levels in this lake. This created a really long backstretch when combined with the fog made navigation difficult.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:19:47 | 26.1 miles | 19.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/32
Performance: Good
HR was way up. Never think it got below 164. This was going to be a problem.
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly, windy course on decent roads.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:56:16 | 06.21 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/32
Performance: Below average
HR very high through all of this race.
Course: Very difficult, hilly run that is now counter-clockwise to the last time I ran here. Miles 4/5 are in the sun.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-15 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon

2008-09-15 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1674132

User image

Austell, GA
Subject: RE: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon

It was great watching you race and being able to give you some support.  Great race and race report.  If I don't see you soon I'll see in SC HIM and of course in IM FL.
2008-09-15 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1674132

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon
I thought you looked really strong at this race. Finished strong for sure. I just about spit water all over my laptop when I read about the intervention. That's the truth too.. I had a mouthfull of water and needed to cover my mouth with my hand.. it was that close. Mainly cause I know what you are saying. The problem is that food is just too darn good.

Great race for both you and Deb. It's always good to race with you guys. You should have a strong SC half. I think it's really a good move to have these races in your schedule as you move toward IM FL.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed