General Discussion Race Reports! » 2008 Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek (Formerly Pineman) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2008 Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek (Formerly Pineman) - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Deer Creek, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m 22s
Overall Rank = 128/197
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/11
Pre-race routine:

My pre race routine consisted of figuring out where I needed to go and what I needed to do, from picking up my timing chip/race packet, to setting up my transition area. My first triathlon so it was mostly learning by watching and imitating.
Event warmup:

Got out into the water in my wetsuit for the first time. Panic set in when I first put my head in the water and realized it was nothing like a pool. But that quickly went away. I didn't do a lot of warming up which probably wasn't good.
Swim
  • 30m 13s
  • 965 meters
  • 03m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

I'd say the distance was closer to 1000 meters with all the course corrections and swinging wide at places to avoid the crowds. This was my first triathlon so my "rankings" could be deceptive, I rated the water chop as high just because I felt like I was being thrown all over the place, that may very well be the norm for open water swims, only time will tell for me. My actual swim from entry to exit of water was 28:51, the time above includes the run up the big hill to the transition area. My swim time was still faster than my 1000m pool time, so I was happy with that given the conditions.
What would you do differently?:

Be more aggressive in packs, anytime I got touched or touched somebody I would break my stroke to make sure everything was ok. I quickly realized that others didn't do this, they just kept swimming their race. I started to focus on that towards the end and I finished much stronger than the middle part of the swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

Felt pretty awkward, I slowed down once I got to my bike, I didn't want to forget anything crucial, but overall I did fine, nothing super quick, but not slow either. I ran into the transition and ran out.

Be more confident in my transition setup and not worrying so much about forgetting anything.
Bike
  • 50m 32s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 14.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Probably could have pushed harder on the bike, but never having done a triathlon I didn't know what to expect on the run. I didn't drink enough fluids I don't think, not a huge deal for a short race but could have been problematic in hotter conditions.

Push the pace a little harder, definitely need to work on hills, almost came to a standstill on the last two hills. Need to work the bike/run transition, although my run time was good I think it could have been much better if my back wasn't so tight after the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

An ok transition, wasn't too rushed, questioned whether or not I was forgetting something.

Just more confidence, this transition is pretty simple, no need to over think it.
Run
  • 24m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Was very surprised to see my overall ranking in terms of the rest of the field, I felt very slow and sluggish on the run, felt like I could have performed better, but felt held back by an aching back and throbbing legs. I suppose that is normal? Obviously my strongest event, which was predicted, but still some room for improvement.

Push harder on the last 1.5 mile, practice bike/run bricks a little more often or at least make them more lengthy, my back really seemed to hold me up.
Post race
Warm down:

No real warm down other than walking around the tri site.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience, more specific training.

Event comments:

This was my first triathlon event so it is difficult to compare but I have ran many road races in my life and this seemed to be very organized to me. I probably could have picked a triathlon with a shorter swim for my first, but I made it through so that was a confident boost to my ability. Looking forward to seeing what I can do to my time a year from now.

Last updated: 2008-09-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:13 | 965 meters | 03m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 169/197
Performance: Average
Suit: Yes
Course: Rectangular course
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:09
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:50:32 | 12.4 miles | 14.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/11
Overall: 148/197
Wind: Some
Course: Country roads, very scenic, most flats, two significant hills towards the very end of the race.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:28 | 03.11 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 31/197
Course: Flat course, some grass, concrete and road, overall a nice course. Very windy conditions, great for going out, horrible for coming back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-15 8:43 AM

User image

McLean, Virginia
Subject: 2008 Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek (Formerly Pineman)

2008-09-15 12:18 PM
in reply to: #1674195

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: 2008 Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek (Formerly Pineman)
nice job out there. the weather only got worse after you got done.

that swim was VERY rough, way too windy.

as for the distance, i am pretty sure the sprint and mini were both 1000m swims
2008-09-16 11:03 AM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Good final run time (for me certainly).  This event was my first last year.  Hope you have fun if you keep racing.

2008-09-16 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Ohio
Well done. This was a difficult triathlon to start out on. the weather really went downhill as the day went on and the swim had the most choppy water I've ever swam in during a race. A few bricks before your next race will go a long way toward keeping your achy back and legs at bay. Good job, Triathlete!
2008-09-19 3:41 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Hey, hey, hey!  Sorry I'm late checking in.  This is a great RR!  You totally kicked butt, this being your first one and all.  I did the same things with my swimming; letting a brush-up from someone else throw me off.  I just know what to expect next time.

Again, big, big, big congratulations to you on a great race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2008 Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek (Formerly Pineman) Rss Feed