TNT productions
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 48m 21s
Overall Rank = 640/2388
Age Group = M30-304
Age Group Rank = 82/205
Pre-race routine:

3.5 hours of sleep -- Josephine up several times at night. Up at 4:40. Tea, Clif, 1/2 peanut butter and jelly, 1 egg and a banana. Drive to Renaissance and shuttle bus to race site.
Event warmup:

Lots of stretching.
Swim
  • 24m 55s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Excellent start -- off the line first and within 50 meters there were three of us in clear water. Had trouble passing people during second and third segments. It felt a little sluggish on second half...need more training.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Walked about a third of the way through transition to bike...trying to catch breath and bring heartrate down. Suddenly felt wiped out coming off of the dock.
What would you do differently?:

Try to get into a jogging groove during transition. Wetsuit came off easily. Did not waste any time at bike station.
Fogged glasses immediately. Need venting glasses or a new way to get them on after face dries a bit.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 26s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.26 mile/hr
Comments:

I was slower on the bike than past races...and this has been my weakest leg. Very disappointing. I should have pushed harder earlier. Didn't really hammer it hard until the last 5 miles going onto the Rock Creek Parkway. Ate two Gu's on the half hours and took fluids every 15 minutes. Drank about 90 percent of two 20 oz. bottles -- one Gatorade and one water.

I need two very important changes. One -- Ride more and ride on roads not on rollers. Two -- get expert advice. Averaging less than 20 miles an hour on smooth roads with no wind is just below my ability and it dramatically affects the race.
Transition 2
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

No problems -- probably could have been sharper with my individual actions...but I don't think I did anything extraneous.

More aggressive to get out onto the run course.
Run
  • 1h 01m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I fell apart.
Took aid at all six stations. Every other station Powerade with water over head and then water with water over head.
Going out of T2 it felt like I was running 9:45 pace but I must have been jazzed by adrenaline because I was going 8:30 pace.
Was unable to pace off of others until the last mile or so when I hooked onto a guy who had passed me.

Better preparation. Should have run the course to give myself a mental map of what it felt like to be "halfway".
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for 25 minutes. Took a massage focused on lower back, hips and achilles -- felt wonderful on hips/ass.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Preparation. Bike. Lost my head on second half of run.

Event comments:

3,560 calories; in hr zone 1:52:50; average heartrate for race 153 with a peak of 174 and minimum of 109.
Immediate reaction was that I could organize folks at work to do the TNT in 2009. I really would enjoy doing 3-5 of these in a summer but the scheduling is tough. Lots of support for the race...the TNT presence was immense and as a result the size and energy of the crowds were great.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:55 | 1640 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/205
Overall: 0/2388
Performance: Average
Ave heartrate for swim 161. Coming out of the water mid 160s. Much higher than I predicted.
Suit: Sleeveless and down to ankles. Ironman Instinct
Course: Rectangularish. Left hand turns; Potomac park under Memorial Bridge turn left and cross toward Virginia, left turn and come downstream.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:26 | 24.85 miles | 19.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/205
Performance: Below average
146 ave heartrate.
Wind: Little
Course: Beautiful. 4 miles downtown including flats on Independence and Constitution. Out Whitehurst Freeway and Clara Barton and back, up Rock Creek Parkway and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:01:14 | 06.21 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/205
Performance: Bad
2 mile marker -- 16:59 with 160 ave hr mile 3 -- 8:59 ave hr 159 mile 4 -- 9:57 ave hr 156 mile 5 -- 10:30 ave hr 158 last 1.2 miles -- 14:41 ave hr 160
Course: Haines Point, down 15th up Constitution and Pennsylvania with turnaround for 12th Street finish line at 7th Street.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-15 10:13 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: The Nation's Triathlon

2008-09-16 10:34 AM
in reply to: #1674454

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD
Subject: RE: The Nation's Triathlon

Very good race in all respects.  Nice report and pics! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Nation's Triathlon Rss Feed