General Discussion Triathlon Talk » alternative sports drinks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-16 5:13 PM

User image

New user

Istanbul
Subject: alternative sports drinks
I don't know if it's only me but i don't like those gatorade or powerade drinks at all. I know they do work and keep you from getting dehydrated while quickly giving you some energy.

But the colors are almost flurescent and the flavors are so unnatural. Even though they might work, i can't bring myself to believe that they're not bad for you in the long run.

So I'am on the lookout for some natural alternatives. I heard grape juice is also very good at giving you some quick carbs. Any ideas?

2005-02-16 5:55 PM
in reply to: #118239

User image

Veteran
Findlay OH
Subject: RE: alternative sports drinks

The sports drinks also provide a lot of electrolytes that aren't found in very high quantities in juices (mostly sodium).  Also juices have a lot of fructose in them which can upset the stomach.  Also in order to not draw fluid away from the body into the GI tract and again cause GI issues you would need to dilute the juice pretty well.  Sports drinks are formulated to provide a 6-8% glucose solution.  That is all the belly can handle without  slowing absorption down. 

You can also make you own sports drink but I've never had any that didn't taste horrible.  If you can imagine salty, weak sugar water, you've got it. 

I know there are people that eat whole foods for energy and stick with plain water for hydration, if that or watered down juice works for you then go for it.  The best practice is to experiment with what works for your body and keep doing that. 

Sorry I got a little rambly, it has been a long day

2005-02-22 10:29 AM

Regular
Nottingham
I use a simple drink for all my workouts:
0.7l of water, 0.3l of grape or apple juice, 2 pinches of salt (for Sodium intake).
Works wonders, it is cheap, and I can make as much as I want.

S
2005-02-23 3:15 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
i really like emergen-c and electro-mix, both made my alacer (www.alacer.com). i started drinking emergen-c when i was pregnant with my second child. my doula had told me of many situations in which laboring women could keep it down when they couldn't keep anything else down, kept them hydrated and energized. its wonderful stuff. not many calories, if that's something you're looking for. i've been known to bring second or third steeping green tea (less caffiene), but still yummy iced w/ a little honey.
2005-02-23 9:23 PM

Hamilton, Ontario
I bought a bag of maltodextrin for literally a few bucks. One scoop is 50 grams of carb. I paln to mix it with some electrolyte tablets and maybe some cytomax for flavour. I'm trying to come up with a homemade carb drink that packs a lot of calories for ironman racing/training. Anyone tried this or am I going to be the lab rat?
2005-02-26 3:18 PM
in reply to: #120928

User image

New user

Istanbul
sebastien,
i discovered the same formula last week (I prefer apple juice). it really does work wonders. it's not artifical, it's cheap and tastes good.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » alternative sports drinks Rss Feed