United States
4 Peaks Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 43m 52s
Overall Rank = 163/209
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 26/32
Pre-race routine:

Got up at my regular time which allowed for some quite stretching and foam rolling while I had a yogurt before leaving for the race.
Event warmup:

Not much other than some stretching and a little light jogging. I had a GU 15 min before racing.
Swim
  • 29m 52s
  • 1094 meters
  • 02m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

I really stink at swimming. When we were coming up to the first bouy, I ran into someone. I stopped and looked and realized that I was swimming into the people that had already rounded the bouy and were swimming the other way. On the long stretch swimming east, the sun was right in my eyes. I thought I was following the people in front of me but one time when I tried to get my bearings I realized that I was far south of the swim course. I started swimming back and when I checked my position again a safety boat had pulled up along side me and they told me what I already knew.
On the positive side, this was only my second swim in open water and I didn't freak out once. I was calm and steady. My only problem was that I was slow.
What would you do differently?:

Work on becoming a better swimmer and maybe getting a wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Had a little trouble getting socks on but other than that everything went rather smoothly.

Had a little trouble getting socks on. I don't think I stepped on my towel before getting on my socks so my feet were pretty wet still.
Run
  • 12m 53s
  • 1.86 miles
  • 06m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

It felt great. I had the best run ever. I came out strong and kept it up. It did seem like it took forever to get to the turn around but I know that it was all mental. After the turn around I knew exactly how far the run back was. I sprinted the last 200m to pass by about a stride 2 guys from my age group. The times don't show it in the official results but I beat them by only a second or two at most.

Nothing. Everything felt great.
Post race
Warm down:

Caught my breath, walked around and then left to get my son to his soccer game on time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being a great swimmer. I just need to build up my endurance & speed in swimming.

Event comments:

These splash n' dashes are perfect for a beginner like me. This is only my second splash n' dash and I've only competed in one triathlon so I don't have a lot of comparision but I think they are pretty well organized and a lot of fun.

Last updated: 2008-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:52 | 1094 meters | 02m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 0/209
Performance: Average
Suit: N/A
Course: From the boat dock (on the north side of the lake) we swam west almost to the bridge (~250m), rounded the bouy. The swim was now east past the beginning (~500m) rounded another bouy and swam back to the boat dock (~250m).
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time:  01:05
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Below average
Running
00:12:53 | 01.86 miles | 06m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 0/209
Performance: Good
Course: One lap on a course that went from the boat dock/transition area into a near by park and back. There were two water stations. One right outside of the transition area and the other at the turn around.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes