United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 40s
Overall Rank = 22/107
Age Group = Mixed (coed)
Age Group Rank = 5/43
Pre-race routine:

After a fitful night of sleep, woke up about 4:20 and ate a bowl of cherrios and glass of O.J. Packed up the bike and double checked my equipmnet. Stopped at WaWa for a 16 oz coffee and a peanut butter power bar. Met my co-ed partner, Nikki, and her 'support' roomate, Jen, at the Rocky Run YMCA in Media, PA at 5:30 A.M.. We had to caravan up to New Britain, PA as I had to return immediately after the race for a 12:00 soccer game. Finished off coffee and powerbar on way to Rich Fern's house. Left there about 6:15 A.M and arrived at Peace Valley Park about 6:30.
Event warmup:

Nikki and I raced to find the bathrooms. Man, that coffee went right though me. Then we unpacked our bikes and I showed Jen how to use my iPhone to take pictures and watch 'South Park' in case she got bored during the race.

We checked in and after Nikki got done beating me up because I ordered her a 'large' t-shirt, we took a short 10-15 minute run out to the dam and back on the same path we would use for the beginning 'run' to the canoes. Felt good. First time I had 'warmed up' for an event.
Swim
  • 24m 6s
  • 2461 yards
  • 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

What a blast. After a short 3/4 mile run from the dam breast to the launch area, we picked up our life jackets and oars and hit the canoes! The staff was great as they literally 'launched' us into the water. Nikki and I worked on trying to keep the canoe going straight and we didn't hit anyone (though a couple of rouge canoers did run into us..)

• I don't think we did too bad for not practicing. We didn't exactly coordinate our strokes and she wanted to be in the back directing, (typical) which was probably a mistake as I was the 'heavier' of the two passengers...and I kept trying to correct her anyway. At least we didn't kill each other though I did get her wet a few times with my aggressive paddling technique.

• Our time of 24 minutes wasn't too shabby but I know we can do better next year with some practice.
    What would you do differently?:

....practice, practice, practice....and put the heavy dude in the back....
    Transition 1
    • 00m

Not sure...they didn't time our transitions. It seemed to go smooth though I STILL don't like my bike clips...can't get in fast enough.
    Bike
    • 52m 3s
    • 13 miles
    • 14.99 mile/hr
    Comments:

Well.....not too bad...but not great...I was stronger on the bike than Nikki and as we had to finish together I would get up the hills quicker and then wait....we'll get better next year....this was our 'best' event from a rank perspective. Finished 20th...next year we can do top 10!

Gotta get my partner out to ride more...
    Transition 2
    • 00m

Again, no time but I think we moved pretty quickly.
    Run
    • 30m 31s
    • 3.3 miles
    • 09m 15s  min/mile
    Comments:

Nikki ran into some cramps early...I had some tightness in my calfs which is strange as I felt I didn't work that hard on the bike and I drank my cytomax....anyway, we pushed through Nikki's cramps and breathing and finished a little slower than we had probably imagined. I felt really good and could have gone faster.

Take my partner out running more....
    Post race
    Warm down:

Not much...finished...ate some oranges and a TERRIBLE 'fruit smoothie' power bar, I mean this thing was G-R-O-S-S, Gross! I can stomach most food but man, this thing was barf-city. Drank plenty of water. Said my goodbyes, packed up w/ Nikki and Jen and headed out about 10:30.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As much as I don't want to toss my partner under the bus...she couldn't keep up with me on the hills w/ the bike and had some issues on the run catching her breath......but she pulled through and I was proud of her...we'll crush it next year!

Event comments:

What a great race...small and fun! It was pretty easy but that's just me...many folks in this race weren't working on tri's all year and were out here just to remember a good friend and support the memory of those we lost in 9/11. AWESOME JOB! Can't wait until next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-05-25 12:00 AM
    Swimming
    00:24:06 | 2461 yards | 59s / 100yards
    Age Group: 0/43
    Overall: 42/107
    Performance: Average
    Suit:
    Course: This was a 'CANOE' not a swim, so don't be intimidated by that speedy time. Course was 1.5 miles in a 'triangle'
    Start type: Plus:
    Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
    200M Perf. Good Remainder:
    Breathing: Drafting:
    Waves: Navigation: Average
    Rounding: Good
    T1
    Time: 00:00
    Cap removal: Helmet on/
    Suit off:
    Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
    Jump on bike:
    Getting up to speed:
    Biking
    00:52:03 | 13 miles | 14.99 mile/hr
    Overall: 20/107
    Wind: None
    Course: A two loop course with two nice 'bumps' (hills') that you had to navigate. Course also took you through the woods on a narrow bike path which was pretty tricky as it was covered with wet leaves in parts.
    Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
    Turns: Average Cornering: Average
    Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
    Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
    T2
    Time: 00:00
    Overall: Average
    Riding w/ feet on shoes
    Jumping off bike
    Running with bike
    Racking bike
    Shoe and helmet removal
    Running
    00:30:31 | 03.3 miles | 09m 15s  min/mile
    Overall: 35/107
    Performance: Below average
    Course: An out and back course. Left bike transition and ran a slight uphill to dam breast and then back down hill to turn around. It was back up hill to the dam and then finished downhill.
    Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall: Average
    Mental exertion [1-5] 3
    Physical exertion [1-5] 3
    Good race? Yes
    Evaluation
    Course challenge Too easy
    Organized? Yes
    Events on-time? Yes
    Lots of volunteers? Yes
    Plenty of drinks? Yes
    Post race activities: Good
    Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
    2008-09-15 1:31 PM

User image

Veteran
    Glen Mills, PA
    Subject: Patriot Games

2008-09-16 7:04 AM
    in reply to: #1675112

User image

Master
    Robbinsville NJ
    Subject: RE: Patriot Games
    Good race. You finished a couple of spots ahead of me. I had the same issues with my partner this year. Felt like I was out for a Sunday stroll on the bike/run at some points.
    2008-09-16 11:19 AM
    in reply to: #1675112

User image

Veteran
    Glen Mills, PA
    Subject: RE: Patriot Games
    Yeah, she's a good egg and worked hard to keep up..I was proud of her as she really was fighting the side stitches during the run. My good bud Rich Ferns and his partner Mellisa finished 10th overall and 2nd in coed. My goal is to smoke them next year!

Glad you had a good race. It was a great time.
    General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Games Rss Feed