Central Florida Sports Commission
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 33s
Overall Rank = 201/628
Age Group = 25-29 men
Age Group Rank = 20/43
Pre-race routine:

Well Here I go, my first triathlon. Just think two years ago I weighted 280 lbs and was a mess. Now I'm a lean 180lbs and train daily. Back to the race... I got all of my stuff together the night before. So I set my alarm for 4:30 since I had a 45 min drive to the transition area. Loaded my stuff and my bike and off I went. I registered the day before so my arrival was pretty simple. I showed up, got body marked (136), got my chip, and set up my transition area. Since this was my first Tri, I wasn't exactly sure how to set up the transition area in such a crowded race area. There were almost 700 athletes. I think I rearranged my transition setup 4 times putting my towel and shoes beside, behind, in front and finally behind my bike.
Event warmup:

To warm up I hit the rest room and walked around a bit, mentally trying to focus on the task at hand while soaking up the atmosphere and culture. I realized quickly that stood out as a "newbie" because I knew nobody and basically had "beginners" equipment. I had to put all of that aside but found it difficult because of my competitive nature. I made sure to hydrate, had a gel, and headed over to the swim area as I was in the second heat.
Swim
  • 14m 6s
  • 400 meters
  • 03m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

The Swim was awful from the start. My initial thought was to start in the middle so that the fast swimmers could take off and I could maintain my pace which had been a consistent 8:00 min throughout my training and preparation at the pool. After the first wave left, some of the swimmers went out to the start line to tread water until the horn sounded for us to go. I waited until about 30 seconds to start. The horn went and I swear every fast swimmer was behind me and ran me and lots of other swimmers over. It was a freaking mad dash. There was hitting, kicking, pulling, (basically you name it) going on with no care who was in their way.

After about the first 150 meters of me going all out (so that I didn't get completely run over) I was out of gas and had to revert to my backstroke. My plan was ruined. I swallowed so much water and must of had a stomach full of Amoeba and bacteria.

Let me say that if you are a first timer - no matter how well you trained and how good a swimmer you think you are, Start in the back of your wave for your first Tri.

I rounded the buoys maintaining a slow pace because of my complete exhaustion. There were a couple of other stragglers from my group back there with me, but for the most part everyone was on their way to the beach. I heard the horn sound for the next wave, knowing at that point I had been in the water for 5 min. and wasn't half way home. Continuing to pace and occasionally revert to my recovery stroke, I kept moving and eventually got close to the beach. Around that same time the leaders from the group behind mine had caught us and ran over us (again) just as the first group had.

I don't completely blame them though because it's not unreasonable to think that we should have been out of the water already. Finally ashore I saw my Wife, Daughter, sister, brother and Niece and thought "I can do this, the hardest part is over", but felt very discouraged about my performance in the water.
What would you do differently?:

Start in the back, and maintain my steady and consistent pace.
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

Got out of the water and over to my bike. I toweled off my feet, slid on some socks, and put on my shirt, Helmet, wristband, and headband. My shoes were already clipped in so I would slide my feet in once I got on the bike. I off running with my bike and off to race. After clearing the ride line I got on and couldn't get my feet in the shoes. I stumbled around for a minute trying to get my feet in securely. Finally I did and was off.

Start off with my bike shoes NOT-clipped in.
Bike
  • 35m 19s
  • 11.7 miles
  • 19.88 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride felt great. Once I got clipped in I rode with what I perceived as some top notch riders. We rode in a small pack passing a lot of riders. We alternated the lead taking turns drafting safely (not too close as we don't want one of those "subjective" penalties). I went to take a drink of my G2 and forgot to unlock my bottle after putting it in my cage so it slipped out of my hand and was gone. I made sure to unlock the other one. Good thing I had 2 huh?

In the transition I would start with my shoes not clipped in and clip in once I got mounted. Also wouldn't lock my water bottle of course. Overall I was very pleased with my performance on the ride and felt as though I made up a lot of ground that I lost during the swim.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Racked my Bike, Helmet off, and slid on my running shoes. The elastic laces are awesome and saved me so much time. I blew by a lot of people who entered the transition in front of me. I grabbed a water bottle on my way to the start and took a few sips. I poured the rest on top of my head and was off to run.

Un-clip my Bike shoes a bit earlier so I could dismount faster. Possibly leave my shoes in the pedals and slide my feel out after loosening the buckles. Overall I was very pleased with the second transition.
Run
  • 32m 49s
  • 3.9 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

The run felt good. I had a pacer behind me. We got to chatting a bit, once we caught our breath, and he was also a first timer. Since I was a few feet ahead of him, I told him that if he was comfortable with this pace we could run together and I'd pull him as long as he'd push me. We run together the entire time. I didn't even see his face until we crossed the finish line and I gave him a pat on the back. As far as pace, we ran an aggressive pace, but not too hard passing a lot of runners (and walkers) along the way. It was a bit satisfying to pass a girl who blew by me on the bike. When she did I thought to myself "she can't keep up that pace, she's going to gas out." So when I passed her on the run, it was a bit fulfilling to know that if you stick with your pace and gameplan, you'll pull through.

***Just to note she did beat my overall though since she started 10 mins behind my wave, so it's not too satisfying. She is still a better tri-athlete than I am...***

Nearing the finish I picked up the pace and my buddy behind me was right with me. We crossed the finish line maybe 2 or 3 seconds apart. It was cool that they also announced "Here come Trevor Stultz from Deland FL" as I run into the tunnel hearing the applause.

Nothing. I gave the run everything I had and was very pleased.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit, grabbed a bottle of water and a vitamin water, and looked for my family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My Extremely poor swim skills and endurance in the water. I think I was 6 minutes slower than my average training time.

Event comments:

Overall very pleased. Would like to see improvements on the pavement for the bike ride (way too many potholes and sewer covers), and see them pull some of the seaweed out of the lake for the swim. Overall I was pleased enough to register for another Tri in 6 weeks and definitely plan on attending next year's Downtown Orlando Triathlon.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:06 | 400 meters | 03m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/43
Overall: 0/628
Performance: Bad
Suit: Swim shorts, Goggles, and cap
Course: Triangle setup, looked like about 150 meters to the first buoy, another 75 meters to the second buoy, and about 175 meters back in to the beach. I was in the second wave 5 minutes behind the first wave of 50+ men and women. Water temperature was warm but the water was full of weeds, which seem to catch your arms and legs on every stroke.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:19
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:35:19 | 11.7 miles | 19.88 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Course was 2 laps consisting of a mostly flat surface but lots of potholes, sewer covers, and bumps. You have to been very careful not to wreck or get a flat.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:49 | 03.9 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Relatively flat run course. Mostly in the sun though. There were 3 water stations, one at the start, the second at the 1 mile marker, and the third at the 2 mile marker. Nice finish through downtown Orlando.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-15 3:30 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Downtown Orlando Triathlon

2008-09-17 4:43 AM
in reply to: #1675417

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Downtown Orlando Triathlon
Great job on your first race! Was the girl you passed on the run wearing red and black, with a black visor? It might've been me!
2008-09-18 4:26 PM

User image

Lutz, FL

Congrats on losing so much weight and on completing your first Tri.  1:25 is a very respectable time for a first race. 

Needless to say there is nothing like your first Tri swim.  You do get used to it but the clawing and foot grabbing never stops.  I would encourage you to practice with the clipped in method.  I am still relatively new to the sport but have found that this one thing has saved me a lot of time on both T1 and T2.  I do it every ride I go on so now it just natural. 

2008-11-03 12:01 PM

User image

Regular

Once you got it up. Keep it up.

Great job!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Downtown Orlando Triathlon Rss Feed