Lavonia, Georgia
United States
Georgia Multisports
Total Time = 3h 11m 43s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 14/25
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:30 to drive up to Lavonia. Ate a bowl of cereal and a banana.
Event warmup:

Used the first 100 yards of the swim as my warm up. Apparently not a good idea...
Swim
  • 30m 51s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I made a couple of mistakes on the swim. One was that I used a different pair of goggles instead of the ones that I use in the pool. Two being I used the first 100 yards of the swim for my warm up so I did not realize that my goggles were leaking. My next mistake was to start out too quickly so I got mildly hyperventilated. I breaststroked a bit and then decided to do my back frog stroke to get my breathing in rhythm again. This worked well except when I looked for direction, I was swimming at a ninety degree angle from everyone else. I assumed that since I was the only swimming in the direction that I was going that I probably should be a sheep and follow the crowd. Since my goggles were leaking, I stopped at each bouy and cleared my goggles.
What would you do differently?:

I would test the goggles that I use for the swim and not wait until 9:30 to start getting my race stuff ready when I have to get up at 3:30.
Transition 1
  • 03m 29s
Comments:

I will work on transition at some point in the future. It is obviously not my strong point.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 52s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 18.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Whoa. I thought the course was pretty hilly. I was thinking "this is good practice for the Six Gaps Century". If you did this race, you can certainly do Three Gaps. I also found it very interesting that one of the race marshalls on a motorbike rode just behind me for probably a mile and there were no other cyclist around. I think they were checking out my butt. I have been told that I have nice butt. ;)
Transition 2
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

What can I say? I am not a fast dresser. :)
Run
  • 1h 08m 10s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Boy, that run course was hilly. Not being a runner, I constantly thought "I am NOT doing this race again next year, I am NOT doing this race again next year". I did however pass a few people this time. There was even this incredibly slow guy that picked me as an acceptable challenge. He would run a bit faster than me and then walk. I would pass him and he would run past me and walk. He did this for about a mile and then I guess he gave up because I never saw him again. The couse was a bit strange because you ran down several campground roundabouts and back. After having to go to the bathroom from the time I got on the bike, I saw a campground toilet around the 3.5 mile mark. WHAT a relief! Some of my friends do, but I am NOT going to use the bathroom in my pants. I got a very funny look from some guy when I got back on the course. I think he thought that I cut across the campground to cut off some of the course.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked down to the food shelter.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The same thing that limits everyone... training

Event comments:

I do these races for fun. I care very little for the time other than it shows that I am getting in better shape. I got good news today. Last year my doctor wanted me to take Lipitor for high cholesterol. Mine was 236. I told him no, that I wanted to lower it with diet and exercise. I got results today that says it is now 177. THAT and having an enjoyable time is why I exercise and I race to give me incentive to exercise and have an enjoyable time. I am not so concerned with having a better race time than a lot of people that I do not know. I would like to be one of the happiest people at the race though.

Last updated: 2008-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:51 | 1640 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/25
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: The course was a little screwy because the water was low. The first couple of hundred yards were into the sun. It then turned back about 340 degrees for the longest part of the course which had the least number of bouys for some odd reason. To make matters more interesting they chose to have everyone wear the same color swimcap which matched the color of the bouys. They must have done this so that you could sight yourself off of the other swimmers heads instead of sighting the bouys if you so desired. To make things more interesting it was foggy on the backstretch so you could not see from one bouy to the next which made it very fortunate that the swimcaps match the color of the bouys and you could sight off of peoples heads instead of the bouys.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:29
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:26:52 | 26.1 miles | 18.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/25
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:22
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:08:10 | 06.21 miles | 10m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/25
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-09-15 5:28 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Subject: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon

2008-09-15 10:27 PM
in reply to: #1675745

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Subject: RE: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon
Great job, Neal. And that's great news from your doctor! At least we can know our triathlon habit is good for something. Sounds like you had a good time, glad you enjoyed the race!
2008-09-16 1:27 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

Nice race!  You have become a very competent swimmer.  I'm jealous.  I'll ask Nat and Steph about your butt. 

Oh,  congratulations on the cholestrol!

2008-09-16 1:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Macon, GA
Nice race Neal
2008-09-16 2:44 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
You are such a stud.  I am glad that you got me to read your report
2008-09-16 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
For some reason, I thought that Swimming was your least favorite event, or the event that kept you from doing more races. You put up a really good swim time at this race.

Also, that course is hill after hill.. the run was much more difficult this year. Looks to me like an excellent race.. I have never used the 'bathroom' in my shorts either.. well, except on the swim. heh.
I saw you when you honked. Recognized the car. You need to come to more races.

2008-09-16 8:23 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Great report, Neal, and great job out there!  And really cool what diet and exercise have done to the cholesterol numbers - excellent!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed