Georgia Multisports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 32m 18s
Overall Rank = 422/
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 14/19
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3am. Yes, 3am. I realized the day before that the lake was over an hour and a half away. I ate my regular PB sandwich, stretched, and headed out. After a couple stops (trying to find a gas station that actually had gas was difficult, thanks Ike), I made the long trek up to Lake Hartwell. After waiting in line to get into the park, they tell me I need to pay $3 to get in. I must have missed that on the info page. I don't ever have cash, so this was a big annoyance. Finally they said they'd take a check. So I wrote a check for $3! Ridiculous. You'd think the $80 reg fee would have covered that.
Event warmup:

Set up my transition and ran the steps through my head. Went for a light 10-15 min. jog.
Swim
  • 31m 40s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

I really like the tt start. It was 2 at a time, so very easy to get going. I started off great, passed a couple people. By the time I got to the first buoy, I couldn't see a thing! The fog was so thick, I couldn't see more than one person in front of me, let alone where the next buoy was. All I could think was how bad I felt for those who are wary of OWS. I thought if I can't see the boats, surely the boats can't see me. Then my watch stopped working. So I had no idea where I was, or even how long I'd been swimming. I lost all sense of how far I had to go. This hurt me when it came to pacing. I kind of took it easy because the last thing I wanted to do was to be struggling when I couldn't see land. So my time turned out a little slower than normal.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing I could do really. Maybe get a new watch.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

This time was actually pretty average in comparison. The mat for the swim was right out of the water, so the entire run to transition was in T1 time.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 43m 57s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 15.06 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course wasn't too bad. It was hilly, but nothing ridiculous. I didn't start my Garmin beforehand so I just left in transition for the run. It probably hurt me that I had no idea how long I was taking. But given all my circumstances lately, I probably wouldn't have pushed much harder. I knew the run was going to be tough, so I didn't want to strain too much. I think I pushed just enough. I never did pass one person though. It's so different being in a coed championship race. The competition is much more fierce.

Get a new bike computer. Even though I don't use it daily, I like it for races so I don't worry about the garmin.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Dropped my race belt running out, otherwise would have been close to 1:00.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 12m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I heard before the race that the run was entirely inside the park. I though "well that's going to be odd". Every road/path inside the park went out and back on. It was quite annoying. Not to mention that this was the hilliest thing I've ever ran in my life! I knew it was a pretty tough course, but geez. There were a couple points I had to walk, but I didn't even feel to bad doing it because everyone around me was as well. I think walking was just as fast as my running on some of those hills. This whole run was strangely reminiscent of my first sprint. The feeling of being so tired of running, feeling like everyone was passing me, like I was going to be dead last...all came rushing back. I just wanted to cry. But I remembered that first race and knew that this is just the beginning. That was my first sprint, this was my first Oly. It will, for sure, not be my last. So I can only get better from here, just like I have in the sprints. When I finally crossed the finish line after 3 and a half hours, I felt...well a lot of things. Pure happiness, accomplishment, loneliness that no one was there cheering for me, strength for doing all of this alone, comradery of those who congratulated me that I didn't even know, sadness that my tri season is over, excitement for what next yeat holds for me.

Train more!!!!!!!

Oh yea, and hills!

Hopefully after all the running I'll be doing over the winter, I'll have a better base for next season.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a lot and actually got some food there. Gotta love the black long sleeve shirt when it's 90 degrees out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Work, life, etc.

Event comments:

I didn't like the stupid $3 fee for the park. That's really the last thing I want to have to think about at 3am when I'm leaving for a race. Good volunteers. Saw lots of NAMC peeps - thanks for all your support! I didn't really care for the loops upon loops around the park. Other than that, good race, good people. I managed to have a great time out there even given my pain. :-)

Last updated: 2008-03-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:40 | 1640 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/19
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Short out, long straight line, then back in.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:37
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:43:57 | 26.1 miles | 15.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/19
Wind: Some
Course: Loop
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:12:50 | 06.21 miles | 11m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/19
Performance: Below average
Course: Crazy loopy loop all around the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-15 6:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon

2008-09-15 10:29 PM
in reply to: #1675878

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: RE: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon

Congratulations on your Oly tri, Jessica!  That totally - totally - sucks about having to pay for parking.  I agree it should have been apart of the registration fee.  I'd pay three times that amount in a reg. fee not to have to worry about it on race day!

The swim sounded a little scary, but you made absolutely fabulous time.  Heck, you made great time overall.  Again, big congratulations!  You are truly kicking a%&!

2008-09-15 10:46 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Check off the OLY Tri!  You beat my time in my OLY by 10 minutes! I think we would probably pace the same (you'd beat me on the bike I think). Great job though, glad you got to race!
2008-09-16 1:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi Jess, I've been checking in heaps waiting for your report as I knew you were a bit anxious given the last month or so.

Congratulations on getting it done and on what sounds like a really tough course. What a fantastic season you have had - look out 2009!

2008-09-16 6:23 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Congrats on the solid race!! Nice swim. I heard about the swim (e.g. fog), so that is a good time not being able to see the bouys.

Way to HTFU and finish the run. My brother told me the hills were very rough, and you pulled through great! Way-to-go!!!
2008-09-16 7:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Macon, GA
Nice job. It was a tough course with the fog on the swim, cars on the road and heat on the run. Way to finish strong

2008-09-16 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, Georgia
Great race and congrats on your first Oly!  I enjoyed the swim start as well and the fog on the water was a nice twist.  I would agree that the run was very hilly but gald to hear you pushed through.
2008-09-16 2:13 PM
in reply to: #1676690

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA

Good job Jessica.  You will not have any problem with three gaps after riding Tugaloo.  That fog on the swim made me think of scary movies where bad things happen for some reason.  At least we knew we were not too far from shore no matter where we were.  That run course was very tough in my opinion, but I am not a runner so what do I know. 

See you at the Six Gaps Century.

2008-09-16 2:40 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Congrats on finishing your first Oly.  Remember this is just another stepping stone.  Master this distance and move on to the next challenge.  Now...enjoy the off season

2008-09-17 11:37 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Considering all the Travel you have been putting in, you did great. You looked strong out on the bike. Dollar said it best. Use perspective. This is just the beginning.

I think you may have been in front of me on the way in to the park. They had you pull of to the side? I was this close |  |  to paying for you. Probably cause of all the dancing you were doing in your car while in line... if that was you.
2008-09-17 2:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Knoxville
Nice job in tough conditions. Same breakfast, eh? I don't think I could live without my my PB samich and kroger brand ensure.

2008-09-18 7:28 AM

User image

Austell, GA
Congrats on your First Oly, way to push through and finish a tough race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed