United States
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 00m 39s
Overall Rank = 291/365
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 6/8
Pre-race routine:

Nothing unusual, PB+J for breakfast and walked around.
Event warmup:

None, forgot my nutrition so I bummed a gel off a stranger.
Swim
  • 16m 43s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wow, what a terrible swim. I don't know why but I got dizzy and disoriented. My sighting was poor (sighting on the wrong buoys) and I couldn't control my breathing. This was my worst swim ever.
What would you do differently?:

Start the race all over again.
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

There was a long uphill to get up the beach n the sand to reach T1. If I hadn't been so disoriented I might have run it, but I felt lousy.

I don't know.
Bike
  • 59m 45s
  • 14.1 miles
  • 14.16 mile/hr
Comments:

So here's the deal, I got out of T1 nauseous, dizzy, and confused. I mounted the bike and found I was only going 10mph on what I thought was a flat. I felt lousy, kinda "fluish" and my legs were like lead. By mile 4 I decided to DNF- I was ok with it. I was just looking for a rotary volunteer to turn my chip into. Then I hit the hills, what bad timing. So I started up, and up, and up. By the time I reached the worst portion of the upper end I was going 3mph. Yeah, at that point I got off and walked. I actually walked up a hill in a race. I can't believe it. Fortunately I wasn't the only one, there were quite a few walkers out there. Oh well. By that time I figured I was at the top so I might as well enjoy the downhill (I hit 40mph). I figured I had to get back to transition anyway, so I would turn my chip in then and skip the run. No big deal, it's ok to DNF if it's my decision, right?

I wish I knew what went wrong.....
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Back to the confusion. I forgot to take my feet out of my shoes coming into T2. At the last minute I unclipped BOTH feet, you can imagine how clean my dismount from the bike was...Then I decided to continue on in case there was good swag (what a good reason to finish a race). I actually sat down to put shoes and socks on- I SAT DOWN??? Oh brother, I grabbed my hat and race belt and shuffled away.

Ugh, I don't know...
Run
  • 39m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

For the love of gosh, why won't this day end. I shuffled along and my nausea went away. I wasn't as dizzy and the confusion went away, but I knew I wasn't quite right. Oh, and as I started the run, Andy was standing off to the side with a bottle of water (he finished before I even started the run- how motivating). I could tell I was in trouble, I was going sooooo slow. Oh how painful! The best part of the day was grabbing my daughter and carrying her across the finish line. If only I had a good race. Oh, and the heat and humidity of the day surely didn't help!

Dunno?
Post race
Warm down:

I needed ice water. I found the barrels of water and gatorade and scooped up ice and just kept dunking it in the barrel to drink. I must have had 10 cups of water and 2 cups of gatorade. I felt a little better but still couldn't eat. The food looked awesome (hotdogs, pierogies, salad) so I made a plate for the road. On the way home I was able to eat but felt that wierd "post adrenaline dump" shaky feeling.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't know, but I did wake up the next day with a sore throat and congestion. Maybe I was fighting off illness?

Event comments:

The race was very well organized and the food afterwards was great. It's not their fault I had a bad race. If I had to complain about something it would be the lack of swag- nothing. Oh well, This had a major hilly bike course and I'd like to do it again. Next time I'll feel better.

Last updated: 2008-07-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:43 | 880 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/365
Performance: Bad
Suit: Blue Seventy sleeveless
Course: Out and back, well marked with buoys
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:01
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:59:45 | 14.1 miles | 14.16 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: Sort of a lollypop course with the first half uphill (some substantial) and a mostly downhill second half.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:39:28 | 03.11 miles | 12m 41s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly out and back. Pretty flat with 1 small section across grass.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-15 8:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Lansdale, PA
Subject: Skylands Triathlon

2008-09-15 10:31 PM
in reply to: #1676131

Subject: RE: Skylands Triathlon

Way to stay to course and finish...not an easy day out there.

2008-09-16 6:51 AM
in reply to: #1676131

User image

Master
NJ
Subject: RE: Skylands Triathlon
Phew - a long 2 hours for sure!! Good job on sucking it up. It was very nice to meet you, Andy and your beautiful daughter!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Skylands Triathlon Rss Feed