Peru, Indiana
United States
Indiana Department of Natural Resources
Total Time = 1h 33m 57s
Overall Rank = 42/234
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 6/20
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am and had coffee and oatmeal for breakfast. Packed up my new Tri bag and loaded up the truck the night before. Drank water on the 1.5 hour drive to site.The tri-bag is an awsome accessory.
Event warmup:

None really. Walked around, chatted and just tried to relax.
Swim
  • 10m 16s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

The total swim time includes a 200 yd run up hill to the transition.
This was my first OWS and first swim with a wetsuit on. All I can say is with the wetsuit, I definately appeared like I new what I was doing but leave it to me to make things more difficult than what they are. Do to my poor sighting technique I added about 50 yds to the first buoy, then I started running into and over the slower swimmers from the first 2 waves which caused me to stop and regroup. The novelty of the new wetsuit wore off about 250 yds into it and then I started feeling the constriction in the chest which messed with my head a bit. Just tried to relax and focused on the beach my last 150.
What would you do differently?:

Practice in wetsuit. Try to find a place to do open water swims and sight better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

I was a bit winded from the long jog to the transition, but I had the top of the wetsuit off while running (just like the videos) and the rest came off relatively easy at my transition. Had a little trouble getting my shirt on.

Perhaps look into a full Tri suit.
Bike
  • 48m 25s
  • 16.6 miles
  • 20.57 mile/hr
Comments:

I had planned on easing into the ride, getting all situated and then hitting it. Instead I hit it from the start. With as humid as it was I was pouring sweat the entire ride. In my mind I had a fantasy time of 21 mph, but under these conditions my 20.6 was all I had. I am sure the effort I put into this ride contributed to my god awful run later.

Maybe wear a hr monitor and keep an eye on my odometer to KNOW how far I have gone and how much is left, instead of guessing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Not a bad transition, but I did have to sit down to put my socks on and that felt kinda nice which I probably enjoyed for a few seconds longer than I should have.

Learn to run without socks
Run
  • 32m 7s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

One word. HORRIBLE! I have never felt this bad during a run in all my life and my background is running. I felt like a zombie, just shuffling my feet and trying to go forward. At 1.5 miles I thought I was going to soil myself. My stomach felt weak, I know my hr was off the charts and the humidity was litterally killing me slowly. I just kept thinking of the Louisvill Ironman and how those people felt during their run. I focused and never walked but felt like I was at a crawl. My running legs never showed up. I must of left them on the bike, or under my wetsuit but they sure were not with me.

I don't know, maybe hydrate more, not work it so hard on the bike, or just write it off as it wasn't my day for the run. When I finished I had nothing, nothing left in the tank.
Post race
Warm down:

Emptied sweat out of my shoes, drank some overly sweet gatorade, ate a banana and drank some water. Met up with a friend and cheered my wife on at the finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run sucked.

Event comments:

I really liked the venue and I think with open water swim practice put in my schedule and a some more experience, (this being my 2nd tri) this will be a great race for me in the future.

Last updated: 2008-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:16 | 500 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/20
Overall: 38/234
Performance: Average
Suit: Nineteen Tsunami full
Course: 150 yards out, turn right for 200 yards and turn right for last 150 yards.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 01:50
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:25 | 16.6 miles | 20.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/20
Overall: 43/234
Wind: Some
Course: Nice rolling ride around the resevoir.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 85+
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:32:07 | 04 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/20
Overall: 62/234
Performance: Bad
Course: A trail to start with, then on the road with some hills, then back on a trail, down some stairs and over a very slick bridge, back on a road to the finish.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes