North Carolina Triathlon Series
94F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 13m 16s
Overall Rank = 37/86
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/11
Pre-race routine:

The weather was forecast to be 94 degrees. I mentally threw out my goal for the run split, thinking I should just relax, keep moving and do my best out there.

My swim buddies and I had all signed up for this race the same week, so we were all near each other in transition. That was kinda cool. I had forgotten my stopwatch, so could not follow my heart rate as planned. I had to race by feel alone.
Swim
  • 39m 40s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was uneventful. I aimed for the little island of trees, but as I neared the buoy, I realized that was too far right. So I had swum too wide.

On the way back, the current was pushing me to the right, so I had to work hard to stay on course. All in all, I felt my swim went well. I do wish it had been choppy, as I had really trained for that!
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Bike
  • 2h 55m 53s
  • 57.25 miles
  • 19.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Since I didn't have a stopwatch, I set my computer to display time. That way I could be sure I was drinking and eating gels according to plan. So, I could not watch my average speed and try to keep it at 19mph.

I only carried my aero bottle plus one spare bottle on my down tube = 40 ounces. I was counting on the bottle handoffs.

I followed my plan and went easy for 30 minutes to let the Boost I drank in T1 settle. Then I picked up the pace a bit, worked up the hills, steady moderate pace the rest of the time. Whenever I was on a flat, I'd look at my speed and it said 20. yeah! At the 20 mile mark, I was getting low on water and hadn't yet seen a bottle handoff. I started to wonder if I had gone by one and missed it. So, I eased off on my pace and started to conserve water. The handoff came about 2 miles later. I needed to grab 2 bottles, and there were only a couple of volunteers standing right next to each other. I didn't have time to put one in the cage so just laid the first one on my aerobars, as I grabbed the second. Then I hit a bump, and my first bottle fell to the ground. I really needed both, so turned around and went back for another. That cost me about a minute.

After that, I picked up the pace again. At mile 30, my time was 1:30. I was excited at the prospect of beating a 3:00 bike split, so I started going kind of hard. Worked up the hills, went a little easier down the hills. I pretty much passed everyone I saw for the entire ride.

I thought of myself as a robot the entire bike ride. I imagined going up hills that I had to push a button to switch into climbing mode. Working harder up the hills. "work it, work it, work it" Then, on descents, I pushed another button to go into tight aero mode. "knees to the top tube, tight tight tight". This mental game was fun for me.

I was with a clydesdale for a good bit of the ride. I'd pass him going down because I can get so tightly aero, and he'd pass me going up (he was not a really big clydesdale). Then we caught up to another group. Going down one of the best descents, the group spread out and were blocking me. I actually had to hit my brakes. I can never understand why people lolly gag going down a hill! I was ticked me off, so I shouted blocking, and they moved out of my way. After passing them, I accelerated for a few minutes to get way ahead of them. Never saw them again after that, thankfully, as there was one more nice steep descent where I was really able to fly. My max speed was 44.8 :)

The last 10 miles was against a headwind. Not really strong, but enough to work hard. I hunched myself down into the tightest possible aero position and pushed hard. Probably a little harder than I should have, but maybe not. I wish I had my HR data to know. I was never breathing hard, and my leg muscles never burned, but I was working hard.

I passed alot of people during this headwind, mostly because I was tucked so tightly, and they were not. I kept wondering if I was pushing too hard the last bit, but also kept thinking how horrible the run was going to be, so I might as well have fun here on the bike. I think it was a good call.

What would you do differently?:

Not forget my HR monitor watch.
Transition 2
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

I had forgotten to lay out my second tube of NUUN in transition, so as I ran toward the run start, I realized I didn't have it in my left hand. Crap, I could not run for 2+ hours in the heat without my planned electrolytes. So, I wasted a minute running back to get the one that was in my bike fuel box. That sucked. And, it turned out I didn't have enough NUUN.
Run
  • 2h 33m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

The run course was hilly, hard, hot and did I mention hilly? It winds around in a double lolli-pop fashion that makes it hard to know where you are and how much farther you have to go. They usually have mile markers along the course, but they left them off today. I think to keep people from pushing themselves hard on the run.

I was actually glad not to know where I was during the run. No watch, no mile markers...I again used my "I am a robot" mantra and kept going no matter how badly I felt.

I was so thankful to see they had ice at the aid stations. I stuffed it down my bra at each stop (every 12 minutes). I filled my palm holder every other stop (which was probably every 25 minutes). I sometimes had to wait in line for water, as everybody was stopping alot.

Other than aid stations, I did not walk at all. I used my chi uphill running strategy for the harder climbs. I tried to pick up my pace on the downs. I tried to stay steady on the flats. When the sun came out, I allowed myself to ease up on my pace a bit. That's how I made the heat my friend. That actaully worked well.

I had to pee for the last hour of the bike. Tried to pee while riding. Then, I tried to pee my pants during the first couple miles of the run. No luck, just can't relax enough to pee in motion. So, I stopped at the porta potty on the run course, and it took me about 2 full minutes to empty my bladder. I felt bad for the guy waiting when I stepped out.

All in all, I kept up great mental focus and a positive attitude on the run. I was able to pick up my pace once I hit the final 1/4 mile stretch and finish strong. I was a little disappointed to learn my finish time was 6:13, not close to my elusive 6:00 goal. I thought I had run alot better than that. But I was still very happy after the race. In retrospect, my finish time and run split is really great considering the heat. I cut 12 minutes off my race time from last year, and I think most people got worse times.

What would you do differently?:

About 3/4 of the way into the run, I ran out of NUUN tablets So, from then on, I had to use the E-caps they offered at the aide stations.

Also, it was kind of a pain getting the NUUN out and dropping them into my palm holder water bottle. I hadn't trained to be good at that little task. I either need to train for that, or train to use what they are offering on the course.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged to the lake and waded in to cool off. I was so stiff, I had alot of trouble bending over to take off my shoes. Then my swim buddy, Deb, waded into the water wearing her shoes right in. What a genius!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HEAT, but that was out of my control.

Last updated: 2008-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:40 | 2112 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 0/86
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Triangular, counter clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:55:53 | 57.25 miles | 19.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/11
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:52
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:33:03 | 13.1 miles | 11m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/11
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-09-16 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: Duke Liver Center Half

2008-09-16 8:57 AM
in reply to: #1676766

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Subject: RE: Duke Liver Center Half

that was a good race given the heat.  there always seems to be a head wind the last little bit of the bike on Pea Ridge.  And it's uphill too.  I remember my first Duke 1/2 and telling God that if he would get me to T2, I would never get on the bike ever again.  Well, so much for that one

That run is a beast.  I have not yet beaten 2 hours on it nor beaten 6 on the whole course.  Maybe next year.

Good race.  See you in Pinehurst.

2008-09-16 9:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC

Congratulations!  You ran a great race.  I think you were right to push the bike.  I held back too much on the bike to save my legs for the run.  I think that is a great strategy on a better day.  But I think in retrospect I would have been better off pushing the bike to make up the time I lost on the run due to the heat! 

2008-09-16 9:27 AM
in reply to: #1676825

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Great race. You are a robot!  Glad to hear you like your new bike.  The sun was brutal and I wasn't even running in it!  Sad I didn't get to recognize you during the race. 

P.S.  I too am unable to pee on the bike.   I try to force myself to pee in the water before I leave, and that is a struggle.  Funny isn't it?

2008-09-16 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Ohio

Hi Keyone,

Nice job out there with the heat. Did you end up using your new ride? Your bike split was smoking! Keep up the great training and you'll get that 6 hour finish next year. Well done.

2008-09-16 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Yes, I did use the new tri bike. Thanks for checking in on me! My old bike was in the shop till the day before the race, and I had been using the tri bike for almost two weeks, and was able to get about 150 miles of saddle time on it, and about 4 bricks. That was plenty to know that my body was well adapted to the bike, and I could run off the bike without dead legs. It is a smokin' bike. I should probably resurrect that old thread you started and add this storyline to it.

2008-09-16 1:23 PM
in reply to: #1677707

User image

Master
Ohio

keyone - 2008-09-16 2:20 PM Yes, I did use the new tri bike. Thanks for checking in on me! My old bike was in the shop till the day before the race, and I had been using the tri bike for almost two weeks, and was able to get about 150 miles of saddle time on it, and about 4 bricks. That was plenty to know that my body was well adapted to the bike, and I could run off the bike without dead legs. It is a smokin' bike. I should probably resurrect that old thread you started and add this storyline to it.

If you like. Again, nice job.

2008-09-16 1:49 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA

Hey, nice job out there - and nice race report.  Sounds like you and your new ride fit well together, and you kept moving on the run.  I know all about the "break 6 hours" thing.  I've had that as a goal for two years running, and every year I say "maybe next year".

Awesome job, take a break for a few days.. You deserve it!!!

Dennis

2008-09-16 2:29 PM

User image

Apex, NC
Great race. Way to improve over last year.

I do wish they had put in the mile markers, or at least a few of them. It was disconcerting to not know anything.
2008-09-20 6:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Great race...Duke Half if tough but you did awesome! 4th in your age group...not bad! I am definately impressed!

2008-09-23 7:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Great race and race report!  It's quite impressive that you bettered your goal time given the killer heat out there that day!  Congratulations!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duke Liver Center Half Rss Feed