General Discussion Race Reports! » Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Aurora, Colorado
United States
Racing Underground
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 34m 47s
Overall Rank = 101/349
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 12/31
Pre-race routine:

out of bed around 5am. Protein shake and PB sandwich. Packed everything the night before so just jumbed in the car and arrived to the rez about 630.
Event warmup:

nothing. It was cold and I just stayed in my sweatshirt as long as possible. I hadn't done the 1/2 IM distance since 1993...so I really felt like a first timer today. I was more concerned about finishing then going for time today. Although I did have a goal of under 5 1/2 hours.
Swim
  • 39m 7s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

I think the air temp was in the low 40s at the start...water temp was around 60. Normally I will swim 100 yards or so before the start but I just didn't feel like it. Jumped in the water just before the gun went off. I did go under the water just to be sure my goggles were sealed but didn't swim at all. I started pretty much behind everyone. The first 100 meters I was freezing my ass off and i think I was having trouble breathing. I stopped for a minute and looked around and got my breathing under control. I never felt I was pushing hard on the swim. I just wanted to get through it with no issues. I never really did warm up...the water was cold! When I got to the shore I was very dizzy...kept falling to the left whenever I tried to stand up. Eventually hobbled out of the water and to the transition.
What would you do differently?:

warm up to get acclimated to the water before the start.
Transition 1
  • 05m 57s
Comments:

yea, my transitions suck. I was still dizzy when I made it to the TZ and sat down, took in some powerbar and water. As always, the suit was stuck on my ankles and had some issues there. It was cold and I decided to ride with wool socks and arm warmers so I put those on as well.

I just need to practice if I am going to get any faster at transitions.
Bike
  • 2h 49m 26s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.83 mile/hr
Comments:

felt pretty good for this ride from start to finish. passed lots of riders and I was only passed by 2...and I later caught and passed both of them. It's nice passing people but because I was in one of the last waves and my swim time is so slow all the fast guys were in front of me. I tend to push the bike more when ridders are passing me as I will try to catch them. I had a powerbar and 2-gels on the bike. Overall I am happy with my bike.

I think I could have pushed this a lttle harder but knowing I had 13 miles to run...I held back some.
Transition 2
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

I kind of took my time here too. I didn't want to run in the wool socks so I changed socks and even put vaseline on my feet. I thought I had another gel in my backpack but couldn't find it.

I need to have a plan going in to the transition.
Run
  • 1h 57m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out holding back...I just wanted to get my legs in run mode and not worry about my pace for the first couple miles. I had to make a quick pitstop early in the run but other than that I ran the entire time...even through the aid stations. I was just running steady the and told myself that I would pick up the pace the 2nd half of the run. Well, I got to the turnaround and I don't know why but I just didn't pick it up at all. For a minute i did manage to pick it up some and get my HR over 140 but I soon found myself going back to my comfort zone. Just could never really hit the higher zones for some reason. The last couple miles I felt were the hardest as there were some pretty good hills and I just didn't hit them as hard as I would have liked to. As I was finishing my wife and kids were waiting for me to finish. This brought a big smile to my face! My 6-year old son ran with me for about the final 50 yards or so. He said because he beat me to the finish that he should get my finisher's medal! :)

I kind of feel mixed about the run. First this is the slowest 1/2 marathon I have ever run. But then again, my goal was just to run consistant and be under 9-minute miles. Well, I just did that so I should feel good about the effort. But looking at my heart rate this was no more than a Z2 training run...I should have hit it harder. For some reason I couldn't make myself push the higher zones.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with my family and some friends. Had some much needed food and hung out for the prize drawing for the Zip wheels...I didn't win. :(

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Take a couple minutes off of my transitions and push the bike and run just slightly harder I'm pretty certain that I would have been under 530. I didn't mention this in the RR but sometime during my ride I stopped my watch. I did restart it and figured it had been off for about 30-minutes. But I never really knew for sure what my time was. But actually, up until I crossed the finish I thought I was under 530. Overall I'm happy with how things turned out.

Event comments:

this was a good race. Darren and his wife do a great job getting this together and the post race food is better than average in my opinion. If I do another 1/2 IM next year it will most likely be this one.

Last updated: 2008-07-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:07 | 1931 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 18/31
Overall: 209/349
Performance: Average
Suit: sleevless
Course: out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:57
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:49:26 | 56 miles | 19.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/31
Overall: 84/349
Performance: Good
avg HR 132
Wind: Some
Course: rolling hills with some wind out of the northeast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:44
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:57:36 | 13.1 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/31
Overall: 97/349
Performance: Average
avg HR 134
Course: mostly concrete along the rez with some gravel path. some minor hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-16 9:39 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon

2008-09-16 11:27 AM
in reply to: #1676922

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Subject: RE: Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon

Nice race!  Great job on the ride!!

I never got out of Z2 on the run either -- what's with that?!

2008-09-16 2:16 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Well Done!  I am glad I stayed home!  That sounds to cold for me.  Great effort. 
2008-09-16 6:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Nice job under some pretty tough conditions!  You should be proud!
2008-09-16 6:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver

Great race! I'm impressed that you made it so close to your goal w/o really trying.

And you should give your son your medal hee hee!

Congratulations!

Norine

2008-09-16 11:55 PM

User image

Parker, CO
great race ray. you still up for some long rides?

2008-09-17 12:31 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Overall that sounded like a great race for your first HIM in many years.  Sometimes it's best to listen to your body and stay where its comfortable, even though your mind thinks differently.  Great race and a ridiculously cold morning!!
2008-09-17 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Great race! A sub 2:00 half mary is not bad after being off for so long. I can only hope to have that fast of a run. Congrats on the solid finish!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed