General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold weather running gear suggestions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-16 7:36 PM

New user
Subject: Cold weather running gear suggestions?

This has been my first summer as a "serious" runner, and it's been no problem to just rock a pair of running shorts and a light tech/wicking tank top all summer.  Now that some cooler weather has arrived, I find myself at a loss as to what to wear.  I'm currently wearing plain-old long sleeve tee shirts, sweatshirts, sweatpants, etc.  However, as you can imagine, the performance of these fabrics sucks once you start to work up a sweat.

Any specific recommendations for cooler-weather running gear, esp stuff that's warm enough to run in but has superior moisture-wicking performance?  Pants, long-sleeve shirts, sweatshirts/jackets, cap, even gloves (I was surprised to find that my hands get colder than anything).  I haven't gotten into the compression-fit stuff yet, but it seems like a long-sleeve compression-fit shirt might be kind of nice. 

Anyone care to offer their opinion on this stuff?

Chris

2008-09-17 12:48 AM
in reply to: #1678541

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Cold weather running gear suggestions?
In the winter, I wear a long sleeve wicking shirt from REI and a nite-life pullover made by Brooks. Its a bright yellow with reflective material that is very visible. Pants are long leg compression lycra with an Adidas running sweat pant over them. If raining will wear a nylon jacket over that. I will sometimes wear light-weight gloves to keep my hands warm.
2008-09-17 3:31 AM

New user

Gloves and a hat are the first things you should wear. You lose much heat through those two. You might also look at a "Buff". They have a website. Very versatile piece of material. You really need to layer smart. Wicking is good. You don't want sweat on you in the cold. I have some cheap stuff bought at walmart for when it's not that cold. Also have spandex long pants and top. When it's below zero I dip into my Patagonia fleece suit. Even then often have to unzip the top. Oh on the gloves I have a couple pairs of wool glove liners I wear most the time. They're cheap. Can get them at McMaster Carr or Grainger... package of 12? Wool is great cause if it gets wet it will still keep you warm... Same thing with many of these new materials... They learned the secret of wool was in the shape of the hair. I have a couple wool scarves that I can put over my face. Use my Buff to hold them in place. 

2008-09-17 7:02 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

It's easy to overdress for cool/cold weather running.  Down to 45F, I'm still mostly wearing t-shirt and shorts.  I'll add some lightweight gloves and sometimes a running hat.  I'll switch to a long-sleeve t-shirt below that.  I've got a pair of running tights (picked up on clearance), a pair of nylon wind pants (picked up on clearance), a high-vis nylon vest (picked up on clearance), a nylon wind-jacket (picked up on clearance), and an assortment of cotton sweatpants/sweatshirts.  I get the $1 magic-stretch gloves which do well down to 25F or so (as long as I'm moving).  I rarely wear the nylon wind-jacket because I overheat in it (even <20F).  I'll put on a headband to cover my ears in the 25-40F range and I'll put on a cheap beanie below that.  This past spring, I picked up a pair of windproof underwear (on clearance) but haven't used them yet. 

Disclaimer:  I've generally run outside because I *want* to run (outside), and there have been a few mornings where I've not been inclined.  This winter will be different, so I may find some of my gear inadequate. 

If you want, search for "shat weather" in the BT forums (mostly "Challenge me" ) for some of the experts. 

2008-09-17 7:25 AM
in reply to: #1679001

Veteran
Rutland Ohio (South Eastern Ohio)
It is a struggle for me to balance what I wear with the temp. McFuzz mentioned that is easy to over dress and I agree. I hate getting too hot while I'm running in 32 F weather. Depending on the temp I will wear:

Summer wicking top (like under armor) as a base layer
Cotton shirt
Long sleeve loose synthetic shirt (sometimes an additional cotton shirt)
Water proof (vented) windbreaker or fleece pullover

Bottom
Polypropylene long underwear bottom
Thick running tights (for really cold)
A pair shorts (my butt always gets cold otherwise)
A heavier pair of cotton lined windproof running pants as a shell layer
An extra pair of socks (or thicker socks)

I wear cheap stetch gloves unless it is really cold when I wear fleece gloves also
I like my 180 ear muffs with headphones attached or a fleece headband for my ears
I wear a fleece neck tube

The parts that get the coldest when I'm not dressed properly is my butt, my belly, my ears, and my hands. That is why I always wear extra shorts, gloves, and my ear muffs when it is cold. When I get hot I will take off my gloves and earmuffs and unzip my wind breaker. I will also take off my fleece pullover and sometimes one of my long sleeved shirts and tie them around my waist.

I would really like to find a better running jacket to replace my current windbreaker that is waterproof with good ventilation.

Edited by clightle 2008-09-17 7:30 AM
2008-09-17 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

I love running in the cold - how cold are we talkin' here?  

My new favorite top is one by Nike that is kind of fleecy on the inside.  With that, I don't need the underlayer, and with the zip neck I can open it up to cool off.  I will put a windproof vest over it if it's windy.  If it's really really cold I'll add one more layer on top of it, but I gotta have the zip neck or I'll overheat.  I always wear gloves - just a pair of knit ones I got at REI.  I tried warmer ones and even ran in fleece mittens once but they were way too hot.  I also always wear a hat - even though I sometimes take it off.  My favorite hat is again from REI - it's a baseball-cap style with fold down earflaps made of windproof fleece.  I've only had to flip the flaps down a couple of times.  A plain old stocking hat also works great if you don't want the bill.  For wind and cold or rain, I also have a couple of jackets I can choose from - one just the high-vis nylon jacket, or one that has a little more to it.

For bottoms, I wear Sporthill XC ski pants.  They have a version that is just cloth which is fine, but for cold cold days, they have a windproof version that is the best.  

Some days I've had to put my fuel belt under my jacket or tuck my gel bottle inside my coat because it'll freeze otherwise.  yummm, raspberry gel slushie!

If you're somewhere with snow, think about traction for your shoes - Yaxtrax or...dang I wish I could remember the name of the ones I use...  

I ran outside all last year in some good and some pretty yucky weather.  The only thing that sent me inside was when we had too much snow and there was no room to get off the road if I needed to - the birms were taller than me in some places and narrowed the road to where it didn't feel safe.

Layering is the secret - that way you can adjust as you warm up.  You should be a little too cold when you leave the house.  

Last, runnersworld.com has a page where you input the weather conditions and it makes suggestions on what to wear - it's called something like 'what to wear'...  

Have fun and as it gets colder be sure to enjoy the looks you get from the drivers - priceless!

2008-09-17 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
on the bottoe i wear either a pair or pants or tights with shorts
on the top i have a thick under armour and tight long sleeve jacket. I also train in the north east for winter so use gloves and a winter hat
2008-09-17 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Traverse Cityish
If you plan on riding your bike in the winter, lots of the gear you buy will work for both. Check out the winter cycling jackets, pants, gloves, etc they are great for running too.
2008-09-17 3:28 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
All last winter I wore a non-cotton turtleneck, a thin fleece (picked a few up at Goodwill), my biking tights that protect the thighs and butt from wind (no chamois), wool sox, fleece headband to keep my ears warm and keep sweat out of my eyes, and windproof mittens.  I'm in CO tho so we don't have wet icy winds usually or slushy snow.   I have a North Face light jacket I wear when it's really cold or snowing hard to stay dry and block wind.  I've had to wear it on the bike on all three tris I did this year -- mother nature hates me.
2008-09-18 2:27 AM

chicago
also for this type of weather i suggest arm warmers, just because i can run in my summer get up, shirt and shorts and if my arms are cold im good but if i start to heat up i can take them off while running and put them in a pocket, easyer than taking off a shirt
2008-09-18 6:03 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Not sure how cold you are talking, but this is my #1 recommendation in the heart of the winter if you live in a place like Wisconsin.  I find if I wear this on days less than 32F, I stay a whole lot warmer, especially if it is windy.

http://www99.epinions.com/review/Under_Armour_ColdGear_Balaclava/content_279300902532

My #2 Recommendation:

http://www.shopwiki.com/detail/?q=CW-X+Insulator+Stabilyx+Tights+Womens&s=226072&o=224266703&d=Women's+CW-X®+Insulator+Stabilyx+Tights

The one thing that eventually starts to get cold on me is my hands.  I have yet to fully solve that problem.

2008-09-18 8:14 AM
in reply to: #1680554

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-09-18 8:37 AM

Veteran
What used to be the country, PA
My cold weather running gear last year included a moisture wicking long underwear top (from, believe it or not, the Wal-mart hunting department, in a lovely green) layered with a Champion sweatshirt and maybe a windbreaking layer depending how cold it was. For my legs, just running tights from my local big box sporting goods store. Then a hat and gloves on really cold days. I ran every one of my runs outside last winter, as I can't stand running like a hamster on the dreadmill. If it gets too windy, a trail run through the woods is a good way to get your run in and get out of the wind a little compared to the open road.

Make sure you warm up well and stretch lots before your run, and get out of sweaty clothes quickly when you are done or you will get cold. My reward for my cold weather workouts was a big bowl of hearty homemade soup or stew to refuel and warm up.

This quote helped me too:
"When the alarm goes off in the winter and it's still dark outside, remember - that is when the races are won, so get the hell out of bed you lazy bastard…"

When it really was cold and dark or my feet were frozen from an early spring bike ride, I imagined others in my race who were all warm and snug in their beds; come race day, I knew they would be behind me.

Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold weather running gear suggestions? Rss Feed