Wisconsin Triathlon Series
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 34m 2s
Overall Rank = 234/749
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 34/71
Pre-race routine:

Got about 5 hours of sleep - pretty normal for race night eve. Got up 3 hrs before race time. Finished breakfast 90 min before race: Extra thirsty this morning. Had 10oz coffee, about 36oz water, 14oz of powdered Gatorade, bagel with some cream cheese and marmalade, oatmeal, and banana. Took a Gu about 20 minutes prior to start. Got a pain behind the knee early on, but it went away during warmup.
Event warmup:

Went for a 10 minute bike ride tackling the big hill, then went for an 8 minute run. Was able to get in a 4 minute swim. All went well.
Swim
  • 06m 51s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Calm water. Got up front but stayed to the outside to start. That worked out well as I really didn't get bumped. I was able to draft two people but was too fast for them and after hitting their feet a few times I went around them. Swam right up to the point where my hand hit bottom. I noticed I was passing those who decided to stand up to run through the rest of the course. The interval work I did the prior week helped a lot.
What would you do differently?:

I was very happy with my swim. My technique has suffered lately so I would like to work on that along with more intervals.
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

What can I say? Wear a wetsuit - it takes time. Wear socks for bike shoes - it takes time. Not connect shoes to bike - it takes time. Drying off feet completely - it takes time.

Do the opposite of the above! And become a better swimmer without the wetsuit.
Bike
  • 56m 21s
  • 15.3 miles
  • 16.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall I felt great and was able to get up the first hill with little problem, but a few of the hills in the middle seemed to wear on my legs. I did slow a bit on the downhills to conserve some energy for the upcoming hills, but probably should have continued pedaling in some way. The intervals and hill repeats I did a couple weeks before, and the week of the race, helped my fitness. No issues with calf-cramps. Cadence, while I don't track it, seemed to be consistent as well as good gear shifting. Had 20oz of water and 20oz of gatorade, plus a Gu (w/ caffeine) at mile 10 - couldn't believe how thirsty I was.

Practice intervals on hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

No issues here. It seems to be a long run into the transition area and the past two years it has been a bit soggy and muddy.

Try to take feet out of shoes before dismount (but what about the mud?). Also, get some zip ties for the shoes.
Run
  • 26m 15s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile was horrible. Even though I practiced a T2 earlier in the week, my legs didn't want to cooperate and I felt like I was bonking and would eventually walk. I got my mind off those thoughts and focused on breathing. I popped a caffeine Gu at the 1/4 mi point which helped by mile 1. I did (stomach) cramp about the 1 mile mark so I don't know if it was the Gu or too much or not enough to drink. I didn't get that sloshy feeling but was burping the Gu for a 1/2 mile. I decided not to drink anything from my water bottle until I got to the water station. By then, my issues were gone and I was ready for a water. The rest of the run was fine. At mile 2 I had 10 minutes to reach my goal of 95 minutes and that helped me settle into a nice pace the rest of the way.

Focus on increasing run times. Figure out my GI issues.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran in place for a minute. Walked around and chatted. Got some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not working on speed throughout the summer. Mainly focusing on longer endurance - as evidenced by a lot of energy left over after the race - and swimming and biking speed. I need to work on the run portion as that is a detriment in my events.

Event comments:

I really like this course and wish they had a long course to cap off summer. While a couple of the roads need work, those are minor compared to the rest of the event in terms of organization, scenery, and fun. The tech-tee given this year was much better. They also started about 10 minutes late due to late arrivals at packet pickup. Decent crowd support up to 2 hours into the event. I don't think it's a 1st timer event as I did last year, but maybe for those looking for their 2nd or more tri.

Last updated: 2008-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:51 | 440 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/71
Overall: 48/749
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes, fullsleeve
Course: Started in water about thigh deep. High water this year at the lake. Cloudier water than in past years, but probably because of the flooding earlier in the season and the higher water. It was a simple point to point course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:56:21 | 15.3 miles | 16.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 36/71
Overall: 208/749
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: A challenging course with a mile-long rise after the first half-mile flat. The course is 75% hills - rolling, steep, and slow risers. A few asphalt problems this year because of the rough winter, but most roads are in great shape with little to no traffic on a Sunday morning. The last big incline can kill you, so take it easy during the 13th mile to get some stretches in and save some energy to rock that last hill!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:15 | 03 miles | 08m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 56/71
Overall: 451/749
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat with two very slight inclines that will not wear on you. All asphalt. Goes around a campground which is pretty nice. One water stop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-17 11:49 AM

Extreme Veteran
WI
Subject: Devil's Challenge Triathlon

2008-09-17 11:59 AM
in reply to: #1679827

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Devil's Challenge Triathlon

Looked like a pretty good race for you.  Great job!

2008-09-17 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1679856

Extreme Veteran
WI
Thanks!  I was one smilin' geek when I realized I was going to beat my 95 min goal.  Now to work on that run...
2009-10-04 5:00 PM
in reply to: #1679827

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Don,
     Nice race.  Those hills can take it out of the legs in the first part of a run, good job pushing through on the run.  Way to meet your race goals!

Greg
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Devil's Challenge Triathlon Rss Feed