Tricatsports
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 27m 35s
Overall Rank = 2/85
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30am. Usual breakfast. Packed the family and left the house at 5:15am. Arrived at 6am in the complete dark. Got a good transition spot....blah, blah, blah
Event warmup:

None at all. Not even a warm-up swim.
Swim
  • 27m 4s
  • 1750 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

Really foggy. Couldn't see the buoys at all. Luckily I'm not a FOP swimmer so I sighted using the swimmers ahead of me. I think I was in the 2nd pack and did a good job drafting when I had a chance. Might be one of my best triathlon swims. I was out of the water at 26:16 and the time includes a 50-75 yard run to timing mat.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Trouble getting on aerohelmet. Cost me 10-15 seconds.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 58s
  • 27 miles
  • 21.61 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought there was going to be a bottle exchange on the bike. With this in mind I only brought one bottle. There were no bottle exchanges so I had one bottle for 27 hot hilly miles with 85% humidity. I pushed the bike hard the whole time but ended up being a little under-hydrated for the start of the run. Very happy with my effort here. I would say this bike route was slightly harder than Columbia.

It was an interested experience riding at the front of the race. At one point on the 2nd lap, I was close to two other guys. I didn't know at the time we were the 1st 3 in the race. The guy who finished 1st pulled away on the 3rd lap. I tried to stay with him and distanced the 3rd place guy pretty well...but could not match his accelerations on the hills. I think he finished about 1:30 ahead of me.

Bring more than one bottle on the bike. I needed AT LEAST two bottles.
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

Fast T2. Fastest of the day.

I probably should have taken 30 seconds and drank half a bottle. But I think the damage was done at that point and I was destine for a sub-par run.
Run
  • 43m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Probably one of my worst triathlon runs. The first loop was OK but I just died on the second loop. I think there were several factors that caused this bad run...

1) I haven't done a bike/run brick since June (Eagleman). I did't plan on doing this triathlon so I wasn't really training for it.
2) I thought there was going to be a bottle exchange on the bike and there wasn't. I only brought one bottle which was not nearly enough.
3) I do not run well in the heat and humidity. It was probably 85% with 85% humidity during the run.
4) I pushed the swim hard and really don't have good swim fitness right now. I think this may have trickled down to some fatigue during the latter stage of the race.
5) With nobody close behind me...I had no incentive to run.

Hydrate more.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in the grass with the family and drank about 4 liters of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Under hydrating. High heat and humidty. Not great swim or run fitness right now.

Event comments:

Good local race. Pinchot park is a great place for a triathlon. I definately recommend giving this a try if you live in the area. Could have had a bottle exchange on the bike and few more voluteers to direct traffic on the run. Other than that, well organized event with a friendly vibe.

Last updated: 2008-09-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:04 | 1750 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 7/85
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Z2 full
Course: Triangle course with two turn buoys. Some seaweed in the shallows but an otherwise nice place to swim.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:14:58 | 27 miles | 21.61 mile/hr
Overall: 3/85
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 3 lap course around lake of 9 miles each. Very hilly. 2 hard hills on each lap.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:43 | 06.21 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 4/85
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops through the trails around the park. 85% trail run in the shade. The course was a bit confusing and there really weren't enough volunteers on the course. I took a wrong turn once and had to backtrack a little. It really is a great run course though but would be better with some more route markings.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-18 7:51 AM

User image

Regular
Gettysburg, PA
Subject: Pinchot Olympic Triathlon

2008-09-18 6:12 PM
in reply to: #1681661

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Pinchot Olympic Triathlon
Cool!  I have family near there and now have a travel race in the area where my kids can stay with family!  Great job out there for being underhydrated.
2008-09-18 8:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Wow!!! Nice time!! I live near there an train there frequently and did two sprints there this year. Would have liked to do this race but signed up for Nations with Team in Training. THis is one tough olympic. That bike is tough. I can't imagine doing that dam campground road a third time!!! I would like to do this one next year though. I signed up for columbia and figured Pinchot had to be comparable. Good to know you think PInchot is tougher. I will train out there next year to prep for columbia. Too bad it isn't a better run race because it is a good location.

again, great job on a very brutal day!

Lesley
2008-09-25 8:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Bob, good report and again a nice finish! BTW, I sent the race director some comments and he said about the water bottle exchange on the bike that they had a problem with the person who was supposed to be doing this. He went MIA so no one had any water on the bike. They got the water back that was supposed to be handed out but never saw the person. Obviously, it's the last time they're going to ask the person to participate. I had a few other comments as well which the RD discussed and agreed to having for the most part.

Have a good rest of the seaon and in your training for next year! I've still got one more left in a little more than 2 weeks.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinchot Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed