General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition during OLY Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-18 9:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: Nutrition during OLY

I have my first OLY coming up (Pinehurst) and was curious about nutrition during the race. I plan on having Accelerade on the bike in 1 (or 2?) bottles. My question is more about what I should be thinking of in terms of energy on the run. Should I grab a gel at the end of the ride? During the run? How many would you recommend? Just FYI, on a 2hr training bike ride I would have 2X20 Oz bottles of accelerade and it seems to work fine for me, but that is riding only, not with a 30 min swim and 45-50 min run afterwards. Suggestions? I guess I could always take a couple of gels and use them as needed but I tend to do better on eating/drinking during sports if I plan it a little first.  Thanks!

2008-09-18 9:59 AM
in reply to: #1681901

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
Subject: RE: Nutrition during OLY
Well, Here's what I did. I took a gel before the swim of my Oly. AFter the swim I took a shot blok and then another one mid way through. I had a full aero bottle of Gatorade and consumed it during the ride. I also took in some gel during the ride. What did this do for me? Well, apparently that was a massive cramp that lasted 3 of the 6.2 miles of the run. It was bad. I took in way too much nutrition! Each person's needs are different but my next Oly I'll probably take in about half of what I did.
2008-09-18 10:02 AM

User image

over a barrier
I use one bottle of Infinit (256 calories) on the bike and that is it.....water on the run. I'm in the 2:30 ballpark for an Oly.
2008-09-18 10:25 AM

User image

Kayak Point, WA

I have only done 1 Oly but this is what I did: 

Breakfast consisted of Banana, Protein shake, electrolite capsules

Powerbar right before the race (and water)

Aerobottle of gatorade (and some water) on the bike and a gel at the 1/2 way point

I had an extra water bottle and gel but didn't need them at all (and won't carry them next time).  The better your nutrition leading up to the race the less you will need at the race.

Michael

2008-09-18 10:56 AM

User image

Expert
Michiana

See this article.

Here is what I've done with success:

• Breakfast 2-3 hours prior to wave send off (Rice crispies w/skim milk, banana, bagel w/ peanut butter, sports drink).
  • Sip sports drink (carbs/electrolytes) en-route then stop drinking and eating 1hr before wave send-off
  • 1 Gu w/water prior 10 minutes before swim
  • 22oz bottle on the bike (~290cal Infinit)
  • Water at every run aid station and 1 gel at about 2-3 miles, before the aid station so you can wash it down WITH WATER.

Gatorade or any other HFCS-containing drink jacks up my gut when I'm pushing beyond Z2.  So during a race I use predominately complex carbs, electrolytes and water.

I'm also about a 2:30ish oly finisher...

Edit - What I can tolerate on Z2 rides is vastly different to a race.  I've had a Chipotle burrito then gone on a 2.5 hr ride followed by a 30 minute run (Z2 type stuff).  You should practice what your system can tolerate at race pace.  In Z4 on the run, there's no way my digestive system can handle Barbacoa Beef and Pintos.  However, water and Gu are tolerable at 165bpms!

Edited by mbmoran2 2008-09-18 11:05 AM
2008-09-18 11:03 AM
in reply to: #1682122

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I don't eat during an oly.  I will eat a good breakfast, and maybe a gu or two before the start, but once the horn blows, I stick to gatorade or gatorade endurance and drink 3 bottles on the bike, and whatever needed during the run at the aid stations.  This is plenty of calories and fluids for an olympic.

2008-09-18 11:35 AM

New user
i did my first oly a couple of weeks ago and did pretty well.  my prerace meal was a power crunch bar, a cup of coffee and a granola bar.   i sipped on water leading up to the race, but didn't touch anything else until the bike.  i had one bottle of cytomax and another of water with me.  i drank all of the cytomax and a little bit of water.  i also grabbed a gatorade at a water station and drank a bit of that as well.  with about 5 miles left in the race, i slurped down some GU.  i've had more than one in the past and this upset my stomach.  also, GU is really hard to get down on the run, i feel like a dog with peanut butter in its mouth.  when i got to the run i felt great and switched between water and gatorade at the aid stations, i went with whatever sounded better at the time.  however, it was starting to warm up, so had a drink at almost every station.  i was holding up real well and running a decent pace, but the last 1 or 1.5 miles my bladder kicked in.  i had to pee!!!!!  i think this actually sped up my last mile pace, and after getting my finishers medal i headed straight for the portapotties.  i'd prefer not having to pee so bad next time, so i think i'll go easier on the liquids.
2008-09-18 11:40 AM
in reply to: #1682144

Champion
South Jersey
I eat breakfast. Usually a gel beforehand, one early on the bike, one about 10 mins from the end of the bike. A little water and a little gatorade whilst on the bike, typically no nutrition on the run -- unless I need something.
2008-09-18 12:06 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC

Pinehurst is a hilly run.  Heck, it's a hilly bike.  It will be my 2nd Olympic (1st one was Over the Mountain last June), as I, too, am signed up for it this year.

Here's my nutrition plan:

• Peanut-butter/banana/honey sandwich on wheat 3 hours prior to race time
  • Sip on a 16 oz. bottle of GU2O between then and race time (100 cal)
  • One Gu 15 minutes prior to swim start (100 cal)
  • One Gu 45 minutes later (roughly 10 minutes into the bike) (100 cal)
  • Carrying 2 bottles on the bike (aerobottle and one other); aerobottle with water, bottle w/GU2O (100 cal)
  • One Gu 45 minutes after that (just prior to bike finish) (100 cal)
  • Carrying GU2O in Fuel Belt hand bottle during the run (100 cal)
  • One Gu 45 minutes after that (about mile 3 on the run); may substitute Roctane Surprised (100 cal)

Total caloric intake (from just prior to race until end): 700 for a 2.5-2.75 hour event.  This is in line with the typical recommendations (below taken from a popular triathlon nutrition fueling company's website):

• Fluid intake under 30 fluid ounces/hour.
  • Sodium intake between 300mg and 600mg/hour, with 400mg/hr being the most often reported dose.
  • Caloric intake less than 300 cal/hour.
  • Moderate simple sugar intake, favoring complex carbs.  
  • I will adjust Gu and GU2O intake accordingly based on heat and exertion, likely pushing the intake back, and not taking the last one on the run.  Ideally, I'd like to not have to take one on the run, and just hit it at T2.

I'm actually practicing this plan this afternoon, so I'll let you know how it goes...

Good luck at Pinehurst-see you there!

2008-09-18 12:37 PM
    in reply to: #1682217

User image

Master
    Canton, Michigan
    LaurenSU02 - 2008-09-18 12:40 PM

I eat breakfast. Usually a gel beforehand, one early on the bike, one about 10 mins from the end of the bike. A little water and a little gatorade whilst on the bike, typically no nutrition on the run -- unless I need something.

I pretty much follow the above too. Aero bottle filled with water, and one bottle of water on the behind the seat cage if needed. In my HIM I carried a Gatorade on the other behind the seat cage. Gel shortly after starting the ride and getting settled in and one at the one hour mark, which is 10 to 15 minutes to finish time.

If its hot I may down a couple of Endurolytes as I'm a sweat hog and they seem to work for my electrolyte needs.

On the run I may take in a swig of water if it's hot, if the weather is more mild I don't stop at any aid stations on the run during an Oly or shorter.

Of course I've done a lot of work on my nutrition in training and that's the best place for experimenting with your nutrition.

Good luck
    2008-09-18 12:41 PM

User image

over a barrier
    I'm kinda suprised D3 is calling for two bottles on the bike for a Oly. I don't think I would even have the time to drink that much. I'd come off the bike just bloated.

Bottle an hour has been fine for me from Oly - IM.

2008-09-18 2:29 PM
    in reply to: #1682370

Champion
    South Jersey

running2far - 2008-09-18 1:41 PM I'm kinda suprised D3 is calling for two bottles on the bike for a Oly. I don't think I would even have the time to drink that much. I'd come off the bike just bloated. Bottle an hour has been fine for me from Oly - IM.

That is surprising. I usually race with two bottles for an Oly - one gatorade, one water; but neither are even close to full...

2008-09-18 2:43 PM

User image

Champion
    Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

I've written my thoughts about short course nutrition here.

This is my basic plan for an OD:

Breakfast - approx 250Cal (Ensure/Boost) - this is about half my normal caloric intake for breakfast
    Pre-race - gel 10-15' prior to start and flat energy drink (approx 150Cal)
    Bike - one gel at 20k mark
    Run - maybe one gel early (1st 3km) - this depends on how I feel but usually I skip it

Beyond that, I have an aerobottle full of water that I will drink 3/4 to all of depending on the temperature.  Nutrition is individual and you will need to experiement a little to find what works for you but in general, athletes are eating too much during sprint and OD races.

Shane

2008-09-18 7:22 PM

User image

Veteran
    Long Island, NY
    After constant nagging from training partners, I drank my entire bottle during the bike only to feel bloated and burping up Heed during the run. I think everyone has to find out what their own body needs..I would have rather had a half Heed and a Gu.
    2008-09-18 8:20 PM

User image

Master
    Riverside, IL
    Here's what I did for my OLY....

Ate breakfast about 3 hours before race time. Breakfast was a bowl of regular instant oatmeal with a little honey & cinnamon added for flavor...and 1/2 of a banana.

Enroute to the race, I sipped on plain water.

While setting up in transition, I ate a plain mini-bagel.

10 minutes before my swim start, I took a Honey Stinger Gold gel and washed it down with 1/2 bottle of water.

On the bike, I had a 24oz bottle of Infinit, but probably drank only 1/2 of it.

At the start of the run, I took some water from an aid station...then a few minutes later, opened up a pack of Luna Moons (energy gummy chews) and ate 3 of them. At mile 3, I ate the remaining 3.

This plan seems to have worked for me, because I had no GI issues during the race and felt decent throughout the whole race, energy-wise.
    2008-09-18 8:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    In front of computer when typing this.
    Thanks for the input everyone. It sounds like the general theme is to get plenty of nutrition before the race and not overdo it during the race. I appreciate your input.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition during OLY Rss Feed